Nana Attakora

PJSweet

• 1 month later...
Sportsnet.ca has learned that ex-#TFC defender Nana Attakora has signed with Finnish club FC Haka Uutiset.

GOOD! Man it's about time. But sadly, that means in the long run he probably would have been better off accepting the Dynamo Dresden (is that the right team or am I mixing that up?) offer.

Is there a Canadian agent with connections in Finland? It would seem strange otherwise with so many players to be playing or to have previously played in that country otherwise (off the top of my head: Ricketts, Edwini-Bonsu, Trafford, Bellisomo, O'Neill, Jonke, Chencinski) when it is a minor league.

Not, the biggest club in the world, but at least he is playing again. I still don't think TFC should ever have let him go. His CB partnership with Adrian Cann a few years ago was one of the few things working on the team. We have been stuggling at that position ever since.

Good luck to him.

I agree MLS rules really screw the pooch on player movement. If I was a player with options I'd almost definitely decide against MLS unless the money was too much to say no to - only because careers are short and these guys are businesses whether us fans think they are or not.

Good for Nana to get a club, and I agree it's likely a spring board the same as Gage has signed at a low-level, with certainly the same intent.

I remember three years ago people saying that Attakora was the answer at centre back for TFC, he's really tailed off since then in terms of club form. I think the injury while at San Jose really hurt him, so it's good to see him back playing with the club regardless of the level.

While this certainly can't be the most desirable option he was given in terms of club/league, at least he's in a side.

And having watched some of the play in this league, I think he could do quite well, as it is very physical/athletic, though rather low in the skill department.

He might even get a couple of looks from elsewhere, if he's able to improve his stock in the meantime, by working on his game a little more.

mark my words: in a year or two this guy will be playing on a good league in europe - probably bundesliga.

he got such a bad deal at tfc - i agree with the poster earlier who said he was one of the only bright spots at tfc a couple of years ago. he needs some steady playing time and an opportunity to move up. he became unsettled in toronto because of a couple of off nights. up until that point he was probably one of the most consistent players on the pitch. he will also be an integral part of our world cup team (even though he hasn't been selected at this point - and understandably so).

only good things for him. and this move is much better than being in mls. he has way more eyes on him and has a shot at playing in europa or champions league as well (although this years seems out of the question). he will get a break, catch on - someone will believe in him and he will show everyone what he's got. this guy is a great talent and will prove it to everyone.

wish him all of the best on a promising future in europe and with canada!

mark my words: in a year or two this guy will be playing on a good league in europe - probably bundesliga.

I dunno about the time frame, but I hope Attakora can make it to a level like the Bundesliga at some point in his career. That is at least 3 to 5 years off though in my opinion.

...he has way more eyes on him and has a shot at playing in europa or champions league as well (although this years seems out of the question)...

He is going to be playing in a league that is barely even fully pro and which is not even on the radar in mainstream European soccer terms. Finnish teams usually don't make it past the qualifiers in Europa and Champions League terms. This is a big step down from MLS. If he was genuinely offered a contract by Union Berlin he should have taken it.

He is going to be playing in a league that is barely even fully pro and which is not even on the radar in mainstream European soccer terms. Finnish teams usually don't make it past the qualifiers in Europa and Champions League terms. This is a big step down from MLS. If he was genuinely offered a contract by Union Berlin he should have taken it.

That's all true. Hopefully it's a stepping stone ala REB.

I found out a little while ago that the contract Union Berlin offered him was only for 6 months. He was also to be a backup to the two quite good CBs they already had. In retrospect it may have been a mistake to turn this down but one can also understand that he thought he could get something better especially since we do not know what the financial terms were. Also there would be some risks involved taking a short term contract like that with regards to injury. And in response to BBTB's claim MLS did not want him, he turned down a contract offer from San Jose before going to Germany and when the Europe tryouts didn't work and he came back San Jose had already settled their defensive situation. Then he became a victim of both the discrimination against Canadians in MLS and the stupid rule giving teams the rights to out of contract players (which while it keeps salaries down also brings down the playing level of the league). One could criticize some of his decisions but sometimes it is difficult as a player to know which contract to take or turn down because you can screw yourself either way. It is too bad he had to sign in a poor league that is at best NASL level but on the other hand the money is probably as good or better than he would have got in MLS and he has his foot in Europe and hopefully can move up from there.

Anyone know his passport situation? I'm mostly asking off of old Football Manager knowlegde, IIRC he was listed to be both Canadian and Ghanaian (he's cap tied, right?) and I know there's a few exceptions for some African (and a few other) passports (in the 2009 and 2010 versions I made a killing signing guys from Africa to the Spanish third division despite the only EU restrictions (Jamaican's too, but not Canadians of course *rolls eyes*)). This could all be an game error, or changed by now and for all we know someone just typed in Ghanaian because they heard a refrence to his background but he's actually just got a Canadian passport/citizenship (I'm pretty sure some of the Canadians in the game with dual nationalities are answering more openly then in any strict legal sense).

Sadly, simply being just Canadian is probably one of the more useless football passports in Europe, we should make a thread of league rules at each division so we can pretty much pin (or even raise general knowledge of the situation) where that player is going. For example, let's say we knew Nana was just Canadian, we can probably eliminate a lot of the top divisions and he'd pretty much know he's going to scandanavia to start (and have a handy list of the more liberal 2nd and 3rd divisions). It would probably be too difficult but making a few decent exceptions that our dual nationality guys could exploit might be worthwhile too. If someone had a new version of FM, it wouldn't be completly accurate but a couple hours writing down league nationality rules might be a good starting point.

Edited by Juby