Mother of All Defective Albertans Abroad List

nolando

26 minutes ago, Toje said:

I always thought he might end up there, as his partner and mother of his kid is from Norway, though from Tromso I believe, other end of the country. 

The article also said he had looked at deals in Portugal, did not happen. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few more players who probably never would have had a chance to play with Canada (at the senior level).  Caps with the national teams can be with the senior or youth.

Michael Chi-Ho Luk - born in Hong Kong in 1986.  Played for Woodbridge, North York, Toronto Lynx, and Winthrop University.  Currently he is playing in the Hong Kong 1st tier with Southern.  He has 4 caps with Hong Kong.  He was in the Canadian soccer system, and played 5 times for the Canadian U17 side in 2003. 

Adrian Butters - born in Guyana in 1988.  He has played in Canada, Sweden, and Singapore. He has played 4 times for Guyana scoring 2 goals.

Silvio Vella - born in Toronto in 1967 (now retired). He spent his entire career in Malta and played 4 times for the national team. His family moved to Malta when he was very young.  

Ryan Reece - born in Toronto in 1985. He played in Spain, Metro Lions, Ottawa Fury, in Hungary, Germany, Denmark, and Thailand.  Played 5 times for Trinidad and Tobago.

Brydon Caesar - born in Toronto in 1991.  He has played in Finland and with the Windsor Stars.  He has one cap for Guyana.

Davier Walcott - born in Toronto in 1990. He has played 5 times for Grenada as recently as 2016.

Justin Springer - born in Burlington in 1993. He played last year with KW United and 2 times with the St Kitts & Nevis side.  His last match was in November 2016 vs Estonia.

Taylor Benjamin - born in Etobicoke in 1990.  Started out with Capital City FC before moving on to Kingston.  He also played for London City before moving to Germany.  Currently he is playing in the German 6th tier.  He has 4 caps for Guyana with the last coming in 2012.

Jamaal Smith - He played for SC Toronto, and KW United.  He has also played in Sweden, T&T, Kazakhstan, and Guyana.  Smith has 13 caps with Guyana and the last was in 2015.

Hayden Fitzgerald - He is now 42, but spent some time in the CSL. Hayden played once for T&T in a WCQ in 2004.

Derek Sequeira - Born in 1996.  He played with the Canadian U17 team, and was capped once in a friendly for Nicaragua back in 2014 vs Guatemala.  He played 12 minutes.

Daniel Whyte - born in Mississauga in 1994. Played with Sigma FC, York Lions and with a club in T&T.  He has played with Guyana twice in 2015. One minute vs Grenada and 3 minutes vs St Lucia.

Allain Sargeant - born in Scarborough in 1995. Played with KW United, and a few universities in the US.  He has 3 caps for St Kitts with the most recent coming in Nov 2016 vs Estonia.

Edited by Toje

• 7 months later...

Wanted to post in the Cristante thread but it has been locked. Shouldn't have been locked. Should have been moved to World Soccer section. I've enjoyed following his career and will continue doing so. Don't consider him a defector at all, but this thread has essentially become about any player that was at one time eligible for us.

I really think we got unlucky on the Cristante front. 12 months ago, the thought of him being called up by the Italian National Team would have been ludicrous. 6 months ago, it would still have been a long shot. If not for a wrath of injuries and an incredibly stubborn manager, I really think he would have been ours. If he ends up with more than 3-4 Italian caps in his career, I will be shocked.

4 minutes ago, masster said:

Wanted to post in the Cristante thread but it has been locked. Shouldn't have been locked. Should have been moved to World Soccer section. I've enjoyed following his career and will continue doing so. Don't consider him a defector at all, but this thread has essentially become about any player that was at one time eligible for us.

I really think we got unlucky on the Cristante front. 12 months ago, the thought of him being called up by the Italian National Team would have been ludicrous. 6 months ago, it would still have been a long shot. If not for a wrath of injuries and an incredibly stubborn manager, I really think he would have been ours. If he ends up with more than 3-4 Italian caps in his career, I will be shocked.

Agreed. Another Teal Bunbury-like international career.

Watched the Atalanta Europa league match yesterday, and despite the impressive performance, it just wasn't enjoyable knowing that Cristante was no longer eligible. Then I wake up this morning to hear that Victor is working to change the FIFA eligibility rules? Why do I continuously hold out hope?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2017 at 6:03 AM, Toje said:

Any word on what happened to him?  He seems to have only made three appearances with Lillestrom and then disappeared.  Seems as if he left the team for year's end.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/14/2017 at 3:32 PM, masster said:

So reading back in the Cristante thread as well as this one, it is a good thing I'm not a betting man. I would have bet my mortgage on him not reaching the levels he has this past year.

He has transferred from Atalanta to Roma in a deal that could add up to 30 million Euros.
http://www.asroma.com/en/news/2018/6/bryan-cristante-joins-roma

I still maintain that he will not be an international star and believe that this may be a step too high for him, but he sure has proved my wrong before.

It just goes to show that you can't count anybody out. Hot prospects may fade, but they can still bounce back.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yousuf Butt has been called up to the Pakistan national team which is playing in the SAFF Championships.  He first represented Pakistan in 2012 and has since won 12 caps.  Currently he is playing in the Danish 3rd tier and has spent most of his time bouncing around the lower leagues in Denmark.  

On 7/17/2018 at 1:09 PM, Toje said:

Daniel Fernandes has signed with Farense in the Portuguese 2nd tier.

If he were to play well at that level i wouldn't be against calling him up* over the next few years. Our depth at keeper is thin.

* He can still use his one-time switch to play for Canada.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 1:16 PM, masster said:

Whitecaps youth player and 'former'(?) Canadian youth national team player called up to El Salvador camp:
https://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/post/2018/10/03/academy-defender-gabriel-escobar-called-el-salvador-u-20-national-team-camp

Gabriel Escobar selected to the final El Salvador roster for the Concacaf U20 Championship:
https://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/post/2018/10/23/gabriel-escobar-selected-el-salvadors-roster-concacaf-u-20-championship-tournament

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nicholas Prasad recently made his debut with Fiji on March 18th.  He played 85 minutes in a 3-0 win over New Caledonia.  He earned his second cap yesterday when he started and played 90 minutes in a 1-0 win over Mauritius.  Local media reported that he played well, and definitely deserves to be on the team.

In the past, he was a part of the Vancouver Whitecaps youth programs and played with Seattle University.