Canadian MLS teams

drew

I am not born in Canada and curious about how Canadians opinions on our Canadian MLS teams with less than a half of the players who are truly Canadian. Will you be more loyal to the teams if they consist of more Canadians playing? Thanks.

I am not born in Canada and curious about how Canadians opinions on our Canadian MLS teams with less than a half of the players who are truly Canadian.

I'll speak for myself. It is disappointing, and I expect more Canadians on a Canadian team. Unlike any other sport, I feel like soccer/football needs nationals on the teams.

Will you be more loyal to the teams if they consist of more Canadians playing? Thanks.

Hmmm, this is interesting. I think I'd be more emotionally attached, but I think I'm already very loyal, all things considered. I think most people would follow the national team more, if there were more Canadian players on the MLS squads. As the national team got more exposure, and as the professional clubs sent quality players to them, then people would follow the players on the MLS team more, and there you have one team sending support to the other and back again.

We'd all like more Canadians on the Canadian teams, but the truth is these teams must compete to build a fan-base etc. Additionally, the appropriate Canadians are either making much more in Europe, or a transfer fee would be too steep to bring them back to Canada.

The reality is there won't be a whole lot more Canadians on the Canadian MLS teams until the youth systems develop them and/or they are getting drafted.

For soccer to succeed in Canada it has to succeed at the club level with or without Canadian players. We need 3 strong playoff making teams every year to keep the fair weather fans. Without them financial stability, media attention etc won't happen. So the club results have to come first.

As a Canadian soccer supporter yes I'd like to see at least half the starting 11 on each team Canadians. In time it will occur but they have to be there for one reason only. Nobody else can take the spot because they are the best at it.

The academies are doing a great job. Our U20 team has 6 Caps, 5 TFC and 1 Impact (recent start, give them a few years). That bodes extremely well for our future. A lot of the academy kids may never play for a Canadian team. If they are really good MLS teams won't be able to afford them, but their development and training provided by the clubs will be priceless.

I think that some casual fans will see that the team with the most Canadian players is worst in the league, while the team that has no Canadians are in a playoff spot.

Developing players through the academies takes time. TFC's academy is in year 5, and we're starting to see the benefits of their player development with Morgan, Henry, and Stinson coming up to the big team, and Morgan starring. Vancouver is starting to promote their players (although I don't know what that means in terms of starting), and I presume Montreal will too.

Drew this is the debate that whitecaps fans have with TFC fans all the time on these forums. I want to be a whitecaps fan, but without canadians playing on the team, for me, I find it tough to get interested. Hope that helps answer your q from my end

The MLS Canadian content quota is so small that there is almost a disincentive to get Canadian players. I think the teams could definitely do better if the rules were a bit more stringent and they were more motivated. I do understand that we need to get all the teams established and on sound financial footing before imposing more stringent rules. However, as soon as the fanbases are solid and the teams are doing well we sure better start seeing more Canadians on the teams because in the long term the current situation is not acceptable.

I would like the Impact to have more players than just Bernier but at least Ouimette has been on the bench for the last couple of games.

The MLS Canadian content quota is so small that there is almost a disincentive to get Canadian players. I think the teams could definitely do better if the rules were a bit more stringent and they were more motivated. I do understand that we need to get all the teams established and on sound financial footing before imposing more stringent rules. However, as soon as the fanbases are solid and the teams are doing well we sure better start seeing more Canadians on the teams because in the long term the current situation is not acceptable.

I would like the Impact to have more players than just Bernier but at least Ouimette has been on the bench for the last couple of games.

Sutton was on the bench a lot earlier this year and Sebrango played a little bit. I'm satisfied with what we have for now but it should be a lot better in two or three years. I'm looking forward to see Evan James have a chance, I know he was hurt two or three times but I liked him with the U23.

I vote Vancouver, because its where I was born, raised and hopefully die. That being said I don't have strong feelings against either FCE, TFC, or IMFC. If they aren't directly in Vancouver's way then I can't bring myself to vote against them, as I'm not just a proud West Coast boy, I'm a proud Canadian.

I'm not biased against teams that have more or less Canadians either, every player on the field wears a Maple Leaf on the shoulder and that's enough for me.

So many foreign players on Canadian teams.

It's also why a lot of Canadians cheered for the Bruins and snubbed the Canucks though. More canadians on Boston. It's why a lot of people ignored the Blue Jays at times over the years (note more people wearing Rob Butler than Devon White jerseys in the early 90s though), and it's why the Raptors were drooling over the chance to sign Steve Nash. I've said all that before. Canadian content DOES matter to a lot of Canadians. You are right. It IS no different than any other pro sports in Canada.

Side note: Among the many reasons canadians love hockey is the cyclical return we get from it. We are good at it, we can always watch canadians we can relate to playing it. It is a source of national pride that the Blue Jays and Whitecaps can't offer us right now, but TFC is trying to. I think that's good marketing.

It's no different in any of the other pro sports in Canada.

Actually it is completely different. In other leagues Canadian teams have a lot of foreigners but they do not face discriminatory regulations making it very hard for them to play on US teams.

The other sports leagues are also the best league in the world at that respective sport (NHL Hockey, NBA Basketball, MLB Baseball etc.) whereas in Soccer MLS is a development league, and as such serves not just a purpose to entertain, but to develop players for the US MNT (and Canadian MNT).

Instead of comparing Canadian MLS clubs with other Canadian clubs in other sports, why not compare Canadian content with local content in other football leagues?

Very good point, and one I shake my head at every time I see other leagues and think "Why not in Canada?"

So many foreign players on Canadian teams.

Well, Canadian players are a majority for NHL teams, some more so than others. The NBA and MLB are really the only two leagues where 95% of the Canadian based teams are foreigners. That sample size results in a grand total of two teams, the Raptors and Jays.

It's also why a lot of Canadians cheered for the Bruins and snubbed the Canucks though.

I thought it was because the Canucks are generally hated throughout Canada in a Toronto Maple Leaf fashion. Plus they are the worst bandwagon fans of all, famous for booing Team Canada in the summit series and rioting when things go wrong :P.

I thought it was because the Canucks are generally hated throughout Canada in a Toronto Maple Leaf fashion. Plus they are the worst bandwagon fans of all, famous for booing Team Canada in the summit series and rioting when things go wrong :P.

Yeah, those two instances were pretty bad. Who DOES that?

Archived