2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People complaining about Qatar is just people being brainwashed by the whining press and FA people in England and to a lesser degree the US, with their racist press pushing them on. The Americans held one of the most corrupt Olympics on record, being Salt Lake. The English deserve another WC but should wait their bloody turn. 

I think FIFA is 100% right to award the WC to an Arab country, and of all options Qatar was clearly the best. Every continent and cultural group should have their chance, that is in principle what unites world football. This is what FIFA has done in the last decades, first the US, only 20 years ago, then to Korea-Japan, first time to Asia. Then to South Africa. Always combining with countries with more powerful traditions, in S America and Europe. The principle here is exactly the same and it is assinine to not understand it. It is fair, dead fair, for an Arab country to get the WC. 

I could give a rats ass about that bothering some people. The only thing I think they blew was miscalculating the heat and not forcing the bid to accomodate that factor from the start. 

Only the totally deluded, and those believing the English press above all, believe they are going to change Qatar, it is impossible. And not only that: it is going to be a perfectly good WC.

As for people dying in construction, that is not a WC problem, it is a dictatorship problem, a human rights concern. It is obviously disgraceful, but it occurs WC or not in Qatar and many other nations. My personal view would be to never play in a dictatorship or in a bellicose war-mongering nation, thinking of Russia, but since that principle has never been respected, I accept it is not part of the deal.

45 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think FIFA is 100% right to award the WC to an Arab country,

I agree; I just think Qatar is too bloody small. What is there to do in Qatar? The Saudis will never host while Budweiser is a sponsor and they almost never issue tourist visas + strict Islamic codes would make it difficult to host but a country that size would be more interesting to visit. Even a Qatar+Bahrain joint bid would have been more interesting. Canada better qualify for Russia because I'm not sure I actually want to spent money to go to Qatar to watch games and nothing else.

EDIT: I'd visit Al Zubarah

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/08/travel/qatar-first-world-heritage-listed-site/

but what else is there really?

I've done a little research on Qatar as we're considering moving there in a few years when i have enough experience in my industry (though it's more likely we'll go to the UAE). It is a tiny country with a miniscule native population that until a few decades ago was deserted (literally and figuratively). That said, they have some nice beaches apparently and Al-Khor on the northeast coast is an interesting place with some historical significance that might make a good day trip. But if you're going for say 3 weeks or more you'll run out of stuff to do in a hurry. Maybe some side trips to Bahrain or the Emirates, possibly even Oman which is steeped in history? 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

People complaining about Qatar is just people being brainwashed by the whining press and FA people in England and to a lesser degree the US, with their racist press pushing them on. The Americans held one of the most corrupt Olympics on record, being Salt Lake. The English deserve another WC but should wait their bloody turn. 

I think FIFA is 100% right to award the WC to an Arab country, and of all options Qatar was clearly the best. Every continent and cultural group should have their chance, that is in principle what unites world football. This is what FIFA has done in the last decades, first the US, only 20 years ago, then to Korea-Japan, first time to Asia. Then to South Africa. Always combining with countries with more powerful traditions, in S America and Europe. The principle here is exactly the same and it is assinine to not understand it. It is fair, dead fair, for an Arab country to get the WC. 

I could give a rats ass about that bothering some people. The only thing I think they blew was miscalculating the heat and not forcing the bid to accomodate that factor from the start. 

Only the totally deluded, and those believing the English press above all, believe they are going to change Qatar, it is impossible. And not only that: it is going to be a perfectly good WC.

As for people dying in construction, that is not a WC problem, it is a dictatorship problem, a human rights concern. It is obviously disgraceful, but it occurs WC or not in Qatar and many other nations. My personal view would be to never play in a dictatorship or in a bellicose war-mongering nation, thinking of Russia, but since that principle has never been respected, I accept it is not part of the deal.

I'm all for spreading the love and letting different types of countries host the world cup. I can also look past the corruption seeing that basically every country for the past 2 decades have been doing it BUT having even a hundred people killed during construction and promoting modern day slavery is absolutely fucked up. That alone should justify moving the 2022 world cup. Another thing is the moving of the world cup to the winter because Qatar couldn't keep its promise.

2 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

I have , since the 80's, and have had many times out here at Swangard with 60 to 70 percent supporting the other nation.

I know people fear this happening today; I just believe very strongly we don't have to manipulate it to correct it; we just should see what happens before passing judgement.  We need to engage and grow the interest and getting a fringe supporter into the stadium is important; not just having that person watch it on TV.  This is a different era than 1990-2005 Vancouver as it relates to our National Team and I feel we will get a better result.  that 27500 that is already sold has to be 80% at least, Canadian supporters.  They may not be supporters as you define it (singing, standing, flags, etc), they are however there to support our team.  I believe if we open the upper bowl properly (with the use of pre-sale codes again to give Canada an opportunity), we can see a similar result.  So I say, open it up and have some faith the Men's team is finally generating excitement.

See what happens? You said yourself you've been to games at Swanguard with only 30-40% support for Canada?! We've had disasters in Montreal and Toronto, why would we expect anything different? I would love to grow interest in the game and have the entire stadium wearing and cheering for Canada but that's not possible and never will be, we don't have the money needed to generate that interest, the reason we don't have the money, because the men's national team is barely a sellable product in Canada! 

I was surprised at the crowd in Vancouver for the last game, I was so happy when I walked out into the bowl and saw we had a great turnout. Do I have faith we can repeat that? A little, but I appreciate the way the CSA has approached this next game, let's take baby steps.

Sadly, the corruption doesn't bother me that much. The slave like work is another matter. I live in Kuwait and for non-Western expats they definitely live a tough life. It is not slavery, but they work under strict conditions. Granted they still come here in droves for the opportunity. And to add another layer. I lived in China before Kuwait and well construction workers are seemingly not treated any better and are probably paid even less. Many die on job sites there and China was just awarded its second Olympics in under 20 years...

As for what to do in Qatar, driving on Sand dunes is rather fun. I will probably visit in May and can report back to you. Bahrain is a lovely place to visit. 

On 13/01/2016 at 10:46 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

See what happens? You said yourself you've been to games at Swanguard with only 30-40% support for Canada?! We've had disasters in Montreal and Toronto, why would we expect anything different? I would love to grow interest in the game and have the entire stadium wearing and cheering for Canada but that's not possible and never will be

It eventually will be. We already saw it for the Women.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2016 at 6:14 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Considering the US are odds-on favourites to host at several bookmakers, I'd suggest you use your superior football knowledge to rake in the cash against these "totally deluded" betting companies who stand to lose millions from not reading the signs as well as you

6 minutes ago, xcalibre said:

Considering the US are odds-on favourites to host at several bookmakers, I'd suggest you use your superior football knowledge to rake in the cash against these "totally deluded" betting companies who stand to lose millions from not reading the signs as well as you

Is that true? I'll take that bet. "totally deluded" no, but I would bet on any site that doesn't have Qatar as favourites.

36 minutes ago, xcalibre said:

US are favourites to host if Qatar doesn't host it and bets are void if Qatar hosts it, so they are not favourites. They're the favourites if Qatar doesn't get it.

2 hours ago, xcalibre said:

An odds-on favourite is not a decision of a betting company, it is a decision of betters. Though what Blackdude has to say on this above proves you wrong there as well.

I can cite many examples in football where clear underdogs are favoured simply because their fans bet on them obsessively more than the rival's fans.

In any case, not understanding betting, and not understanding Qatar, means you really haven't a clue about how money works. And if you don't grasp money, you will never grasp why thinking Qatar would lose a WC is total delusion.

The Yanks and Brits who are still squirming about this are simply showing signs of what fading empires tend to feel: uneasy at the economic power of those you despise.

On 1/14/2016 at 11:07 PM, ktf said:

It is not slavery, but they work under strict conditions.

In Qatar, they take the guys passports and refuse to return them even when the deplorable conditions press someone to want to return home.  I would consider that state sanctioned slavery.

Strict conditions puts it nicely.  They are living in cramped quarters, minimal food, disease rampant, long working hours, etc.  Guys are dying in droves in these conditions.  When someone says they have had enough and want to get out of that deathly fate, they are refused their passports and thus unable to leave.  I would again consider this state sanctioned slavery and deplorable.

The way Qatar treats and manages their immigrant/migrant (or whatever you want to call it) population is an international disgrace and should be subject to sanctions and tribunals.

There is no defense for this. Period.  I understand there are plenty of evils of the USA and England and their push to get the World Cup. However, in this instance, they are not the evil doers here.

3 hours ago, Califax said:

Fuck people are snarky in here. 

Winter isnt even that bad this year. 

Yup.

50 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

In Qatar, they take the guys passports and refuse to return them even when the deplorable conditions press someone to want to return home.  I would consider that state sanctioned slavery.

Strict conditions puts it nicely.  They are living in cramped quarters, minimal food, disease rampant, long working hours, etc.  Guys are dying in droves in these conditions.  When someone says they have had enough and want to get out of that deathly fate, they are refused their passports and thus unable to leave.  I would again consider this state sanctioned slavery and deplorable.

The way Qatar treats and manages their immigrant/migrant (or whatever you want to call it) population is an international disgrace and should be subject to sanctions and tribunals.

There is no defense for this. Period.  I understand there are plenty of evils of the USA and England and their push to get the World Cup. However, in this instance, they are not the evil doers here.

OMG. I think this is the first time I am inclined to agree with you on anything!

Archived