2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

33 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Actually Platini had a plan that would have 8 groups of 5 and it would only increase the tournament length by one day. Then again he is banned now so...

If that's true then maybe it's not so bad. Just seeing the Euro going to 24 teams and how weakened that tournament field looks has me cynical about another increase though. Another two Asian teams would be a JOKE.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, xcalibre said:

Some bookies actually have the 2018 tournament getting moved as the favourite option right now.  If that gets moved to the US our chances of hosting 2026 take a huge drop imo

Russia 2018? I would be surprised if that happened on such short notice. Qatar 2022 seems like the one more likely to be moved. Either way I agree, If either gets moved to the US no chance of Canada getting 2026. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2015 at 11:31 AM, johnyb said:

Russia 2018? I would be surprised if that happened on such short notice. Qatar 2022 seems like the one more likely to be moved. Either way I agree, If either gets moved to the US no chance of Canada getting 2026. 

I think I meant 2022.  Last year was so long ago ;)

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

lol, Figured. Anyway probably moot. I doubt it gets moved. 

All it takes is one major soccer country to state they won't go and the rest will follow.

On 12/8/2015 at 9:39 PM, xcalibre said:

Some bookies actually have the 2018 tournament getting moved as the favourite option right now.  If that gets moved to the US our chances of hosting 2026 take a huge drop imo

There are two big reasons 2018 will not be moved:

1 - Too close to the tournament and Russia has already invested a lot of money in preperation

2 - (and this is a big one)... the current climate of Putin trying to create a strawman of the evil west will deter anyone from wanting to stoke that fire by taking away the world cup from them.  Not a good thing based on where things are politically today

The reasons 2022 will not be moved:

1 - Sunk cost, already done..... they will just clean up the rules and say it will never happen again

2 - thousands have died in Qatar as part of construction.  It will be difficult for someone to throw that into the wastebin by cancelling the tournament.  Too much has been lost to make it happen.

The reasons Canada can get 2026:

1 - we have all the infrastructure and economic power to host it

2 - there are no bribing scandals

3 - people will not die in construction other than maybe a freak accident or two

4 - people will not be thrown into mass graves (so to speak) because all our money is sucked into a World Cup (ala Brazil)

5 - THIS IS A BIG ADVANTAGE - FIFA will need a safe bid after four consecutive dirty cups (sorry South Africa to include you in this mess, but your people suffered horribly because of the money sucked by the World Cup)........  Canada is very appealing for this and we have never had it (USA and England, the other "safe" choices have).

The reasons Canada may not get 2026:

1 - USA wants it

2 - A joint bid is awesome however, why would the USA share even one group when they have over 50 stadiums basically World Cup ready with minimal preperation

3 - New FIFA leadership will drool over the money from a USA world cup in 2026 (which would be massive in America and dwarf 1994).

6 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

The reasons 2022 will not be moved:

1 - Sunk cost, already done..... they will just clean up the rules and say it will never happen again

2 - thousands have died in Qatar as part of construction.  It will be difficult for someone to throw that into the wastebin by cancelling the tournament.  Too much has been lost to make it happen.

Clean up the rules and say it never happened? But we ALL know it happened so no point in that. And your second point is one of the main reasons they WILL cancel it. So your logic is since Qatar already killed thousands of people why not let them kill thousands more since they already started and let them have the prestige in hosting the best sporting event in the world as a reward for their bribery, use of modern day slaves, and deaths.

51 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Clean up the rules and say it never happened? But we ALL know it happened so no point in that. And your second point is one of the main reasons they WILL cancel it. So your logic is since Qatar already killed thousands of people why not let them kill thousands more since they already started and let them have the prestige in hosting the best sporting event in the world as a reward for their bribery, use of modern day slaves, and deaths.

The fact is they should cancel it before more people die. 

If the World Cup happens there or if it doesnt, those people still died in vein. Actually, i take that back: if my brother died in qatar so people could get rich off his back i would want (at the very minium) for the people who set up those working conditions to go bankrupt.

The whole 'thousands' dying was a shoddily created number that took into account the death of any migrant worker in any way on any project in Qatar going all the way back to 2010.

Of course I'm not intending to pick up shop and move there to work in construction any time soon, but that won't be the reason the WC stays or moves. 

Look there's no reason for anyone to die because of a sporting event.  Their deaths were completely pointless and it's a tragedy.  I really think they should pull the rug out on Qatar before more people die; but let's not try and justify the "sunk" cost of people's lives as a reason to keep it in Qatar.

3 hours ago, canta15 said:

You do not understand me (big shock).

I am not saying this is what I would do.. I am saying this is what I THINK will happen.  I would have cancelled it the moment I heard about their working conditions and the workers dying by the dozens.  Attacking me for sharing this is strange because I don't believe that Qatar should keep the cup.

I just believe, FIFA being FIFA, that they will do all their "reforms" and such, and apply them to future bids.  I do not think they will retract Qatar and they will consider the "sunk cost" as a reason to let it go ahead. I AM NOT SAYING THAT IS RIGHT, and i certainly find it all disgusting from top to bottom.

I HOPE I AM WRONG ABOUT THEM KEEPING IT IN QATAR

Perhaps I am more clear now.  God damn this place can be hostile.

10 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

You do not understand me (big shock).

I am not saying this is what I would do.. I am saying this is what I THINK will happen.  I would have cancelled it the moment I heard about their working conditions and the workers dying by the dozens.  Attacking me for sharing this is strange because I don't believe that Qatar should keep the cup.

I just believe, FIFA being FIFA, that they will do all their "reforms" and such, and apply them to future bids.  I do not think they will retract Qatar and they will consider the "sunk cost" as a reason to let it go ahead. I AM NOT SAYING THAT IS RIGHT, and i certainly find it all disgusting from top to bottom.

I HOPE I AM WRONG ABOUT THEM KEEPING IT IN QATAR

Perhaps I am more clear now.  God damn this place can be hostile.

You never stated if it was your opinion or what you think FIFA would do. You clearly don't understand that it was your fault you were being "attacked" (big shock).

27 minutes ago, xcalibre said:

I'm loving this "manfromvancouver" character to be honest, who cooked that one up?  Is it Robert's alternate account?

Re-purposed now that the CSA has made some real strides to success? Or is it Miro who has refocused his energy because it's now clear Andrew won't make the MNT?

4 hours ago, xcalibre said:

I'm loving this "manfromvancouver" character to be honest, who cooked that one up?  Is it Robert's alternate account?

It is nice to hear that I have one less hater.  Encouraging.

Just don't troll me if the CSA refuses to open the upper bowl; you know where that leads if you get me going.  I am already upset about it.

12 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

It is nice to hear that I have one less hater.  Encouraging.

Just don't troll me if the CSA refuses to open the upper bowl; you know where that leads if you get me going.  I am already upset about it.

Really because i fucking love that they aren't going to open the upper bowl

18 minutes ago, theaub said:

Not opening the upper bowl is one of the great visionary decisions of modern democracy

To think that no Canadians will purchase tickets beyond the Voyageurs sections is just not right.  You are limiting thousands of Canadians from joining because X sections of Voyageurs are worried they will be outnumbered by X number of Mexican sections. You don't consider the other Canadians to be part of this number and crowd.  Nothing more complex than that.

Hey, if they open up the bowl and 20,000 Mexican supporters snap up the tickets, I will be the first to say I was wrong and the Voyageurs are right.  I am thinking the CSA is listening to the Voyageurs and will likely not take that chance.  Unfortunately because we can get more Canadians in there, I know it.  They don't seem to count when this decision is being made.

The thinking is "We better not open it because all the Mexican supporters will take it".

Instead, I think they should be thinking "let's open it up and get as many Canadians in the stadium as we can.  Yes, we get some more Mexican supporters to, and we do not fear that. This is our fortress"

1 hour ago, amanfromvancouver said:

To think that no Canadians will purchase tickets beyond the Voyageurs sections is just not right.  You are limiting thousands of Canadians from joining because X sections of Voyageurs are worried they will be outnumbered by X number of Mexican sections. You don't consider the other Canadians to be part of this number and crowd.  Nothing more complex than that.

Hey, if they open up the bowl and 20,000 Mexican supporters snap up the tickets, I will be the first to say I was wrong and the Voyageurs are right.  I am thinking the CSA is listening to the Voyageurs and will likely not take that chance.  Unfortunately because we can get more Canadians in there, I know it.  They don't seem to count when this decision is being made.

The thinking is "We better not open it because all the Mexican supporters will take it".

Instead, I think they should be thinking "let's open it up and get as many Canadians in the stadium as we can.  Yes, we get some more Mexican supporters to, and we do not fear that. This is our fortress"

Very optimistic but unfortunately unrealistic. I guess you haven't been watching the men's team very long. We don't have a fortress.

58 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Here we go again lads. Grab some popcorn.

Meh

That's an entirely reasonable argument, although I disagree with it in the sense that I just don't think there are a lot of Canadians who want to attend this match who won't be able to get tickets.  

Perhaps I lack faith in our national team soccer fanbase, but I really think I overestimate it if anything.

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Very optimistic but unfortunately unrealistic. I guess you haven't been watching the men's team very long. We don't have a fortress.

I have , since the 80's, and have had many times out here at Swangard with 60 to 70 percent supporting the other nation.

I know people fear this happening today; I just believe very strongly we don't have to manipulate it to correct it; we just should see what happens before passing judgement.  We need to engage and grow the interest and getting a fringe supporter into the stadium is important; not just having that person watch it on TV.  This is a different era than 1990-2005 Vancouver as it relates to our National Team and I feel we will get a better result.  that 27500 that is already sold has to be 80% at least, Canadian supporters.  They may not be supporters as you define it (singing, standing, flags, etc), they are however there to support our team.  I believe if we open the upper bowl properly (with the use of pre-sale codes again to give Canada an opportunity), we can see a similar result.  So I say, open it up and have some faith the Men's team is finally generating excitement.

Archived