Jump to content

2026 WC Bid?


munseahawk
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, rkomar said:

I haven't been following this topic much, so I don't know if it has been discussed or not.  There are countries whose citizens are pretty much banned from entering the USA. 

They had to assure FIFA that there would be no issues for teams entering the United States.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I  think  the  United  bid  will  win ,  we  have  the  infrastructure  and  the  stadia  Morrocco  has  none  of  that,  And  all  this  Trump  talk  will  not  factor  at  all  in  the  voting  Believe  me  FIFA   will  not  want  to  go   through  the  headaches  they  did  with  Brazil and  South Africa 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

I  think  the  United  bid  will  win ,  we  have  the  infrastructure  and  the  stadia  Morrocco  has  none  of  that,  And  all  this  Trump  talk  will  not  factor  at  all  in  the  voting  Believe  me  FIFA   will  not  want  to  go   through  the  headaches  they  did  with  Brazil and  South Africa 

It’s not entirely  fifa’s choice...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I  think  the  United  bid  will  win ,  we  have  the  infrastructure  and  the  stadia  Morrocco  has  none  of  that,  And  all  this  Trump  talk  will  not  factor  at  all  in  the  voting  Believe  me  FIFA   will  not  want  to  go   through  the  headaches  they  did  with  Brazil and  South Africa 

The problem is that you're using common sense.  History has proven these votes have little to do with common sense.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:03 AM, gator said:

I think the bid is doomed due to negativity towards the US, to the rest of the world this looks like an American bid with Canada and Mexico on the fringes with just a handful of matches, it's hard for this to look like a "united" bid because of that proportion of match distribution!

The bid does make Canada and Mexico look like hangers on to make the US bid look better.

A solo US bid might stand a better chance as it would be expected that Canada and Mexico would certainly vote for another bid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tomorrow we find out the fate of this "unified" bid apparently! Not much discussion on here, has everyone resigned themselves to it not working out for us? I shouldn't react emotionally to politics but after the weekend I really don't want us to prop up a bid for our neighbours to the south by hosting a handful of matches to make it look like a unified bid! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, gator said:

Tomorrow we find out the fate of this "unified" bid apparently! Not much discussion on here, has everyone resigned themselves to it not working out for us? I shouldn't react emotionally to politics but after the weekend I really don't want us to prop up a bid for our neighbours to the south by hosting a handful of matches to make it look like a unified bid! 

I share a lot of those feelings. I'm not super excited because I really don't feel like it is OUR bid. Think about it...if we were to progress out of the group stage into the knockout rounds, we wouldn't even be playing at home! It would be in the states where there is a good chance that the opposition would have more fans than we would. How does that sound for a 'home' world cup.

If we are successful, I just hope we can enjoy substantial ancillary benefits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the end of the day, FIFA decides which games go where and how many goes where. Now, I'm feeling we should have thrown as many stadiums as we could which would increase the likeliness of getting more games.

USSF kind of tricked everyone by dictating how the tournaments plays out, that's 100% within FIFA's hands. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gator said:

Tomorrow we find out the fate of this "unified" bid apparently! Not much discussion on here, has everyone resigned themselves to it not working out for us? I shouldn't react emotionally to politics but after the weekend I really don't want us to prop up a bid for our neighbours to the south by hosting a handful of matches to make it look like a unified bid! 

I’m a bloody soccer fan first it’s the only sport I really care about and I’ve been one for all my 53 years here in Canada, born and raised here in an environment that unlike a good chunk of the world soccer is not king here. Now if I’m still around in around 8 years and I’m still decent health I have an opportunity to go watch of few World Cup games right here in my country and I’m going to say no to that because it’s not all of our own bid and the fact we are only getting 10 games, really no bloody way , bring it on , 10 World Cup games in my country for the sport that I love and one of the biggest sporting events in the world playing some games here in Canada and me as a soccer mad fan saying no to that ,no bloody way bring it on . Think about the attention it will bring soccer to Canada it’s been improving a lot with our MLS teams and the woman’s national the past 10 years or so but think of how much more attention it will bring the sport in Canada if the United bid wins. Moreover, this will come at a perfect time with the CPL starting next year it will only get the momentum going even more for the CPL if the United bid wins, you think the people behind the CPL are not wanting the bid to win , you can bet your life on it they want and hope it wins, it’s a win win for Canadian soccer if this United bid wins and let’s all keep our fingers crossed the United bid wins this damn thing!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, admin said:

Regardless of what this is, there is ZERO downside to having this thing go through. Zero. 

 

With due respect, I would argue that inviting a tournament who's organizers have asked to receive a tax exemption, circumvent our labour laws and not be subject to standard foreign exchange rules does present a downside.  A large one in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SF said:

With due respect, I would argue that inviting a tournament who's organizers have asked to receive a tax exemption, circumvent our labour laws and not be subject to standard foreign exchange rules does present a downside.  A large one in my opinion.

A let me ask you this are you a Canadian national team supporter, do you cheer for Canada making it to the World Cup if the answer is yes then your cheering for Canada to go play in a tournament that is run by an organization that runs a tournament in whatever country is hosting at the time that goes into a country and asks for tax exemptions, circumvents that countries labour laws and asks that country not to subject it to standard foreign exchange rules. If your against all that then you should not support a national team that goes and plays in such a tournament run by an organization that does all that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 1996 said:

I’m a bloody soccer fan first it’s the only sport I really care about and I’ve been one for all my 53 years here in Canada, born and raised here in an environment that unlike a good chunk of the world soccer is not king here. Now if I’m still around in around 8 years and I’m still decent health I have an opportunity to go watch of few World Cup games right here in my country and I’m going to say no to that because it’s not all of our own bid and the fact we are only getting 10 games, really no bloody way , bring it on , 10 World Cup games in my country for the sport that I love and one of the biggest sporting events in the world playing some games here in Canada and me as a soccer mad fan saying no to that ,no bloody way bring it on . Think about the attention it will bring soccer to Canada it’s been improving a lot with our MLS teams and the woman’s national the past 10 years or so but think of how much more attention it will bring the sport in Canada if the United bid wins. Moreover, this will come at a perfect time with the CPL starting next year it will only get the momentum going even more for the CPL if the United bid wins, you think the people behind the CPL are not wanting the bid to win , you can bet your life on it they want and hope it wins, it’s a win win for Canadian soccer if this United bid wins and let’s all keep our fingers crossed the United bid wins this damn thing!

 

As I said in my post it's the emotion of politics, if we win this bid I will support the team as always, if I'm still able in 8 years time! ?I was more than happy in 94 to go to a bunch of games in the US and whatever the dynamics or reasons of this bid an argument is hard to make against us playing World Cup matches on home soil (if an automatic place is granted)! The question I ask is why is there not more excitement on the eve of the vote?

Edited by gator
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SF said:

With due respect, I would argue that inviting a tournament who's organizers have asked to receive a tax exemption, circumvent our labour laws and not be subject to standard foreign exchange rules does present a downside.  A large one in my opinion.

Garbage.

Like we'll build stadiums with slaves here.  Get real.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, admin said:

Garbage.

Like we'll build stadiums with slaves here.  Get real.

 

 

Like we'll build stadiums here.  Get real.

I was against the Vancouver hosting the Olympics™ for a number of non-zero reasons.  I'm against this US bid for the World Cup™ for many non-zero reasons.  But I attended and enjoyed the Olympics and if the bid is successful, I'll find a way to attend and enjoy the WC.

Oh, I'm a hypocrite and that's ok, I sleep all night and I work all day...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Like we'll build stadiums here.  Get real.

I was against the Vancouver hosting the Olympics™ for a number of non-zero reasons.  I'm against this US bid for the World Cup™ for many non-zero reasons.  But I attended and enjoyed the Olympics and if the bid is successful, I'll find a way to attend and enjoy the WC.

Oh, I'm a hypocrite and that's ok, I sleep all night and I work all day...

Even more to the point we won't be building any infrastructure.  Which is what makes it a good thing to do.

If we were a sole host building and spending stupid Olympic level money, fuck that.

But this.... Is not like 2010 at all.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i really no longer care at all about this bid (not because of the US but because it seems lame that this is how Canada gets into a WC). Like it would be nice to get it (it would do wonders for our system) but I no longer care (I just want our system to work) and I think most Canadians do not care.

Edited by matty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...