2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

The best case scenario for Toronto would be a NFL team moving in since the Rogers Centre can only barely meet the NFL minimum capacity with some significant adjustments.

Then again, I can't exactly see a 70,000 seat stadium being built here when Markham is getting rollicked for trying to build a 20,000 seat arena.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After Brazil, then Russia, if it was Canada's turn afterwards I would say that there would be no chance. Three geographically large countries with big distances between host cities; there would be a frustration/fatigue. However, I could picture an anti-Qatar backlash after they host (super-small country, one city). I think the vote will be before Qatar hosts though...

The vote is in 2019, but historically all bids have been taken on their own merits, there is little history of problems with one year affecting the next. But you are right: to win Canada will have to prove that our transportation system and schedule can handle 100,000's of people moving such distances.

I would imagine the schedule would work on a "east" and "west" conference principle. ie: 4 groups play in Winnipeg-Vancouver and 4 groups in Toronto-Atlantic

And given that the larger stadiums(including hypothetical Toronto) are also spread evenly, they could continue this in the knockout rounds. with Edmonton-Vancouver and Montreal-Toronto.

It would be the largest logistical undertaking since WW2, but any successful bid would include many $Billions in transportation infrastructure to make it happen.

But you are right: to win Canada will have to prove that our transportation system and schedule can handle 100,000's of people moving such distances.

I think if Russia manages things well and there are no transportation problems, FIFA will believe Canada can do it. I think the credibility of our bid, although 95% based on what we promise/prove/have built, 5% will be impacted by Russia's success or failure.

I'm wondering if our bid might not be more influenced by the success of the U20 World Cup and the upcoming WWC.
I included that in my "95%".

The cynical side of me thinks that stadiums, distances, etc won't matter nearly as much as whose pockets we line.
Well, we can hope some things will be cleaned up. I feel that Canada, perhaps naively, will never play the pocket lining game as well as many other candidates.

I included that in my "95%".

Well, we can hope some things will be cleaned up. I feel that Canada, perhaps naively, will never play the pocket lining game as well as many other candidates.

Regardless of my cynicism (and as was mentioned earlier in this thread) Canada managed to win the bids for three Olympic games. Either we knew who to bribe and did a passable job of it, everything was on the up-and-up and we didn't need to bribe anybody, or some combination of the two.

• 3 years later...

'Political will' is there to host men's world cup in 2026
Kurtis Larson, Toronto Sun December 06, 2015

COLUMBUS -- The "political will" is strong in Canada to host the 2026 FIFA Men's World Cup.

Canadian Soccer Association president Victor Montagliani has mentioned Canada's intention to bid for the biggest sporting event in the world.

He told the Toronto Sun in a sit-down interview prior to Sunday's MLS Cup that he expects that process to begin as early as next summer.

"It can be done," Montagliani said of Canada as a host nation. "We need eight venues. Qatar is (hosting the 2022 World Cup) with eight venues.

"If we would have had this interview five years ago you would have said, 'Oh my God. Where are you going to get eight from?' But now Canada has eight. Some would have to be refreshed."

He listed venues in Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Toronto and Ottawa as being expandable to meet FIFA Men's World Cup standards.

Calgary and Regina, Montagliani added, are in the process of building. Montreal "needs a new stadium," the CSA's top boss said.

"There are 10 potential venues that have potential to be there," Montagliani said. "We have the other infrastructure. That's not an issue. From that standpoint it's not a problem."

Infrastructure, though, is meaningless without political will, especially in an age where governments across the country are looking to save.

Toronto, for instance, quashed the idea of hosting a Summer Games after learning of the amount of capital it would take.

"We're different than the Olympics," Montagliani said of hosting a FIFA event. "You spread out risk and you spread out economics. What we saw with the women's World Cup is that you leave a legacy."

Heralded as a monumental success this past summer, the Women's World Cup provided lasting infrastructure in multiple cities, which included world class training facilities.

"When you announce a half-billion dollar economic impact, it doesn't hurt either," Montagliani added.

More proof there's Canada-wide interest? Cities have already started reaching out to the CSA to throw support behind the sport.

"My email inbox has been filling up with every mayor in the country saying, 'Hey, we're in," Montagliani said.

"In light of nobody stepping up to do a Summer Olympics, that bodes well for us," he continued. "In the 2020s, we're the only real viable international event Canada can host.

"It would be 16 years since the (Vancouver) Olympics and 11 years since the Women's World Cup. A country should host an international event of this magnitude every decade. We're in line with that reasoning."

The once-complicated, politically-driven and pricey process to put together a winning bid is also expected to simplify. The cost of such a process is pegged at roughly $10 million.

In terms of competition ahead of 2026, the U.S. is lurking after watching what was "probably a winning bid," according to Montagliani, controversially beaten out by Qatar.

Assuming it follows through with a bid, Canada could also face competition from a South American nation, Australia and Mexico.

Because Russia (2018) and Qatar (2022) are set to host the next two tournaments, countries from the European (UEFA) and Asian (AFC) confederations likely wouldn't be allowed to submit a bid.

There's also the possibility of a joint U.S.-Canada bid, although the CSA hasn't held talks with the United States Soccer Federation.

"I'm not disinterested in (a joint bid)," Montagliani said. "We haven't talked officially, but my door is open. We have an excellent relationship with U.S. Soccer on many, many levels."

"If they wanted to, the U.S. could host the World Cup in the state of California."

The U.S. last hosted a World Cup in 1994. Canada has hosted every major FIFA tournament since then.

It's Montagliani's firm belief that there's no reason Canada can't host the crown jewel of FIFA events.

CSA TOP BOSS WANTS LEVEL PLAYING FIELD

There could soon be a solution to a hot button topic in Major League Soccer.

Ahead of next season Canadian Soccer Association president Victor Montagliani told the Toronto Sun that Canadian players should be on a "level playing field."

As of now, Canadian players count as "internationals" on U.S.-based MLS rosters. Because each MLS team is allotted just eight "international" roster spots, American teams are hesitant to sign Canadians.

"I think we've gotten to a point where I'm hoping before the season starts we can make the announcement of a solution -- a win-win solution for everybody," said Montagliani, who met with MLS officials here in Ohio.

"We're working on a few initiatives that I obviously can't speak about, but hopefully before the MLS season starts there's a solution that gives our boys a level playing field.

"We're looking at all kinds of models from opening it up or something that's incentive-based or something that's cap-based. We're looking at all types of solutions."

The league regularly suggests one of its mandates is to grow the game in Canada.

Giving clubs more freedom to sign Canadians would be a step in the right direction.

I seen Victor today on tv during the the opening of the MLS Cup final. He walked behind Don Garber and Sunil Gullati. The announcers on tv mentioned Garber and Gullati names and not Victor"s name at all. Clearly states that MLS has no interest in Canadian soccer. I hope Victor gets more Canadian players in MLS but I do want him to continue his legacy to create our own Canadian League. We still are missing that factor in bidding for a World Cup. But the announcers completely snubbed Victor. Not even a name or what he means to Canadian soccer. Victor please get more players in their system but please don't loose sight on our own league. Our people need it more than ever. I also think we can host a World Cup on our own. I'm against doing a joint bid with the USA because they are in a World of shit with the Middle East and travel time for players would be ridiculous. I have a feeling they snubbed Victor because he's not inline with those crooks Sunil and Garber want. 

8 minutes ago, I_love_the_beautiful_game said:

I seen Victor today on tv during the the opening of the MLS Cup final. He walked behind Don Garber and Sunil Gullati. The announcers on tv mentioned Garber and Gullati names and not Victor"s name at all. Clearly states that MLS has no interest in Canadian soccer. I hope Victor gets more Canadian players in MLS but I do want him to continue his legacy to create our own Canadian League. We still are missing that factor in bidding for a World Cup. But the announcers completely snubbed Victor. Not even a name or what he means to Canadian soccer. Victor please get more players in their system but please don't loose sight on our own league. Our people need it more than ever. I also think we can host a World Cup on our own. I'm against doing a joint bid with the USA because they are in a World of shit with the Middle East and travel time for players would be ridiculous. I have a feeling they snubbed Victor because he's not inline with those crooks Sunil and Garber want. 

Wait, so Garber invites him to walk with him at the opening of the MLS cup final and it's considered a snub because some dinkus like Twellman or the other nerd who does the commentary doesn't recognize him?

And then from not saying his name you insinuate it to mean that it "clearly states that MLS has no interest in Canadian soccer"?

to infer such an incredibly concrete sentiment from the announcer's simply not saying Victors name...i mean...even by Voyageur standards that's a tad extreme.

I don't disagree we need our own league though.

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

Wait, so Garber invites him to walk with him at the opening of the MLS cup final and it's considered a snub because some dinkus like Twellman or the other nerd who does the commentary doesn't recognize him?

And then from not saying his name you insinuate it to mean that it "clearly states that MLS has no interest in Canadian soccer"?

to infer such an incredibly concrete sentiment from the announcer's simply not saying Victors name...i mean...even by Voyageur standards that's a tad extreme.

I don't disagree we need our own league though.

Those commentators should have the common courtesy to at least introduce the man on the broadcast. Right now TFC, the Impact and Whicecaps are MLS bread and butter. The commentators know what's up with whatever Garber and Sunil and Victor talk about today. 

2 hours ago, I_love_the_beautiful_game said:

Those commentators should have the common courtesy to at least introduce the man on the broadcast. Right now TFC, the Impact and Whicecaps are MLS bread and butter. The commentators know what's up with whatever Garber and Sunil and Victor talk about today. 

I agree that they should have that common courtesy.

4 hours ago, I_love_the_beautiful_game said:

I bet you half the people here couldn't pick VM out of Duke Ellington's band...

3 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

It's looking increasingly likely that 2026 will be a 40 team tournament.  Would 8 stadiums still be enough?

Really what proof do you have because the only things i have been hearing is thats its a bad idea

3 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Really what proof do you have because the only things i have been hearing is thats its a bad idea

I never said it was a good idea.  As for proof, read the hundreds of media reports about it from last week

Asia and Africa who hold a ton of votes are pushing hard for it.  The decision was only deferred during the last exco meeting to "gather more information".  Of the two leading presidential candidates (Infantino and Sheikh Salman), the first has openly backed the plan and the second is president of the AFC who are one of the two main confederations behind the plan. 

13 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I never said it was a good idea.  As for proof, read the hundreds of media reports about it from last week

Asia and Africa who hold a ton of votes are pushing hard for it.  The decision was only deferred during the last exco meeting to "gather more information".  Of the two leading presidential candidates (Infantino and Sheikh Salman), the first has openly backed the plan and the second is president of the AFC who are one of the two main confederations behind the plan. 

I read a dailymail article. I wonder how the 8 spots will be allocated. 

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

It's looking increasingly likely that 2026 will be a 40 team tournament.  Would 8 stadiums still be enough?

I think it could work in Canada. All you would have is stadiums with more games and a longer tournament. It would also significantly cut down travel for the teams, especially when your going from coast to coast. 

15 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

40 teams sounds really dumb unless the format is 8 groups of 5. That however would lengthen the tournament by a substantial amount.

Actually Platini had a plan that would have 8 groups of 5 and it would only increase the tournament length by one day. Then again he is banned now so...

Archived