Incident in Cuba vs. Canada...Analysis? [R]

beachesl

Hirsch's Red Card...Analysis?

Could not figure out from rewatching the handling whether he actually handled it outsdide the box? Anybody analysed this?

Is there any chance of an appeal of the red card? Probably with CONCACAF's attitude, it would be a waste of time, even if we had merit.

I thought Hirsch was brilliant against the US. Have not seen Borjan play a match before, he seemed great for his spell. Hirsch has shown he is great for blocking tough shots, but are his other choices sound? I have watched him a lot over the years, (including observing him in bars) and he seems likeable but cocky. A certain cockiness is good in a goalkeeper, but was he too cavalier on Friday for a match of this type?

Anyway, I feel good now about Borjan against Honduras, even if he is a largely unknown quantity to me.

Still a big fan of Hirsch's shotblocking ability. I still feel somehow that had we used him instead of established Pat in WC 2006 and 2010 we could have possibly pushed thru.

In his post-match interview, Hirsch said he came out to head it and the bounce was not true and he felt he had no choice but to grab it. Obviously HE felt that there was a goal scoring chance if he did not grab it...

He saved us from a bigger disaster by handling the ball. The ball was going over his head with a Cuban player running him down. Had he let that go and attempted to play it, who knows what would have happened.

I don't think there can be too much complaint. The cuban was burning in on goal, and Hirsch was deemed to handle the ball outside the box. Sure there was a Canadian defender in the mix as well, but I don't think the card was completely unwarranted. There was definitely a goal scoring opportunity in development. It was unfortunate, but pretty cut and dried in my book. TBH, I was more concerned about the ensuing free kick than I was about playing a man down or having Milan in net.

TBH, I was more concerned about the ensuing free kick than I was about playing a man down or having Milan in net.

I was thinking the same thing. I comforted myself with the hypothetical, would we score from this free kick. No? Well Cuba likely has no one who can bury a free kick either. Yes I was right! Thank God.

The moment I saw it, I knew he was out of the area and it had to be a red card. No complaint. Denying the opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by handling the ball. No point in appealing, in my opinion; it wouldn't go anywhere, and I've got no problem seeing Borjan in there against Honduras.

My first reaction was it was a bonehead move, but Lars' explanation afterwards seemed logical. He wanted to head the ball, but the ball took a weird bounce with the crappy/bumpy pitch on that day. The Cuban had some speed, so Lars was caught by doing the unavoidable.

It wasn't like what our bonehead goalie did in one of our U20 WC matches in Edmonton a few years back ...

My first reaction to the play, and until I heard Hirschfeld's explanation, was that it was a bonehead move as well. I can understand what he said but still think he could have done much better. Easy to say from my seat though. As soon as it happened, I assumed it would be a red card. Only Gerry Dobson's hesitation to confirm it allowed me for a few seconds to think that we got away with one.

I have absolutely no complaints about that call or the refereeing in general. Actually, if we could have the same officiating as yesterday for the rest of qualifying, I would take it in a second.

My first reaction to the play, and until I heard Hirschfeld's explanation, was that it was a bonehead move as well. I can understand what he said but still think he could have done much better. Easy to say from my seat though. As soon as it happened, I assumed it would be a red card. Only Gerry Dobson's hesitation to confirm it allowed me for a few seconds to think that we got away with one.

Thought during the play Lars attacked the ball too high. Think he still would have had another yard or two of safely to gather it in all things considered but yeah, can understand how he (and everybody else on the field that afternoon) had a difficult time predicting the action of the ball whenever it contacted the pasture. Brutal.

So now we lose the keeper we've been practicing with for Tuesday. Bugger me, I hope this doesn't come back to haunt us.

Either way I'm not too upset with Lars. That's the keepers lot. You make an error the ball is in the goal. Anybody else and there is always somebody to cover for it. Or so it seems.

I thought he tried to get rid of it while he was in the air. not sure the rule on that. if you have possession but your feet aren't yet on the ground is it a penalty?

Nope that's like a basketball/football rule. In soccer only the position of the ball matters.

Hirchfield just simply didn't make up his mind what he was doing. He should have decided on an action and went with it. Of course this would be heading the ball. Thankfully this mistake didn't come back to bite us back.

Hirchfield just simply didn't make up his mind what he was doing. He should have decided on an action and went with it. Of course this would be heading the ball. Thankfully this mistake didn't come back to bite us back.

Actually I think he did make a decision of what to do and that was to grab the ball. Then he did not modify the decision until it was too late and he was over the line. I think he thought the ball would bounce faster than it did and when he grabbed it he was closer to the edge of the box than he thought he was going to be and his momentum carried him over. He probably needed to stand on the line and punch it out. The pitch was bad but still it was a mental error. They had already practiced on the pitch and played more than half a game on it and in that situation a keeper needs to keep in mind the state of the pitch and that the ball is not bouncing truly. By that point we had already seen balls that bounced in the opposite direction than expected so a slightly slow bounce can not be that big of a surprise. Still with an attacker closing in there is a lot of pressure and it is easy to make the wrong split second decision. On the other hand the ability to make the right decision in such situations is the difference between great keepers and good ones.

The other conundrum (for keepers) is whether to aggresively challenge a long ball or let the defender do it. There was a defender and I'm not sure the Cuban would have been away....

I also don't like the call because I don't feel it was a 'clear' goal scoring chance which is a requirement for the red card. Yellow card yes.

Archived