Canada vs Honduras Tues June 12th

Canada1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like them either.. big cheaters, and I mean BIG.. is there bigger? And their team is not talented, either. If they have the lead late in the game it will be absolutely unbearable. I was checking the ref, he'll be from Suriname.. reffed twice in the U-20s in Canada. The only ref I remember back then is Wolfgang Stark, so that info doesn't help me.. I see Stark was punched recently in the Bundesliga relegation playoffs.. can't say I'm surprised.

You know...last time we made it to the hex was in 1998. Our group then was Panama, Cuba and El Salvador. Then El Salvador and Canada qualified. Such a similar group (in terms of countries participating only), let's hope for a similar result

I am not sure what to expect from this game Tuesday. I am happy with the win in Cuba but I thought we played terrible for the most part and that got overshadowed by the win. The way we played against the US gave me some optimism but the last game made me pessimistic again. It was really typical Stephen Hart football and typical of how we played in the poor games of the last round with the exception that we did score off the one really great play. The question is how consistently can we make plays like this in future games because it has been pretty infrequent in the past. For the most part we need to create a lot more chances than we did against Cuba because our finishing percentage is so poor. Also I think many have overlooked how many times the Cubans penetrated our defence partly because after they got through they were so inept at making anything out of it. Our players are far superior to the Cubans and we should not have struggled so much with them even given the heat and poor pitch.

I did watch the Honduras-Panama game and was not really impressed by either team and Honduras in particular looked like a team past its prime. And admittedly in this round if we play crappy and still advance I will accept it a lot more than I did from the last round. However, I think if we are going to win or tie against Honduras we will need an effort much more similar to that against the US than that against Cuba.

My point wasn't really to disrespect NZ, but more to point out that Honduras have lost their last 2 home games, we have no reason to fear that we cannot pull out a result against them here, or in their park.

Their last home game prior to Friday was in November when they beat Serbia. The NZ game was played in Dallas.

BTW, anyone else notice David Suazo didn't even get off the bench on Friday? His shooting in the NZ game was horrendous, but the fact Lalin was cut meant 19 yr old Lozano and some no-namer called Kervin Johnson came off the bench instead.

I am not sure what to expect from this game Tuesday. I am happy with the win in Cuba but I thought we played terrible for the most part and that got overshadowed by the win.

If you weren't there you have no clue how tough of a match that was and how well we actually did play all things considered! The Cubans used everything they could to their advantage with the 2PM kick off and the pitch being so long and bumpy! I am not a huge fan of Hart but his possesion game served us quite well in these horrible conditions especially with 10 men! I love hot weather, the hotter the better for me and it was tough for us under a covered stand to deal with these conditions and we're just the fans! Believe me, this result was huge and if we didn't win the match it would not have been a shock given what they were up against!

Honduras are missing a bunch of their better players (Welcome, Chavez, Najar, Alvarez). Does anyone know why?

There are a bunch of others not on your list either: Nunez, Thomas, Claros, the other Chavez, Espinoza, Bengston....

I think a lot of it has to do with some of the players not getting much PT this season, for others possibly not taking the NT seriously (though Palacios would be the most guilty of this and he still got called) and Suarez incorporating a number of U23's into the squad - though he left out Mario Martinez, Alex Lopez and Roger Rojas (and i guess Najar). These decisions remind me of Rene Simoes 4 years ago,and if we win tomorrow i can pretty much guarantee Luis Suarez is gone.

edit: Apparently Espinoza and Lalin are still with the side, but were not included in the match day 22 for their last game.

I started the thread predicting a 2-1 win for us. I am still sticking with my prediction. From the sounds of so many threads indicating so many of Honduras's key players MIA I feel there could be a bit of a crisis brewing behind the scences within the organization. If Canada can win the first half with a 1-0 lead and put them away with another in the second that could be the end of their Manager.

Come on Canada I have a $1,000,0000,000,000 riding on this match so make my day.

My only real worry going into this game right now is over-confidence. Going into this round of World Cup Qualifying I think both the supporters and players were much more realistic about the massive challenge facing the team than we all were in 2008. After these last two games against the US and Cuba this is the most optimistic I can remember the forum being since pre-WCQ 2008/Gold Cup 2007. I think we all have to keep in mind that this Honduras team is still a very good squad no matter what result they got down in Panama. Yes they are beatable, but let's make sure we play a similarly solid defensive game as we did against the US and Cuba without letting down our guard at all going forward after these performances.

Does anyone know for sure what the kick off time is ? Ticketmaster and the BMO Field website say 7.30 but FIFA's website says 7.45

Thanks,

Chris

It was also changed to 7:45 on MLS website. I think they bumped it back just recently.

For the most part we need to create a lot more chances than we did against Cuba because our finishing percentage is so poor. Also I think many have overlooked how many times the Cubans penetrated our defence partly because after they got through they were so inept at making anything out of it.

Yes. This is exactly the part that was overlooked amidst the the euphoria of a rare win in a World Cup qualifying match for Canada. I noted and posted in game thread during the first half that it was looking like the kind of game where the Cubans are so poor that we may get a goal off of a massive blunder. Maybe the goal wasn't a result of a massive blunder because there was high quality in the cross from Edgar. But with a bit of defensive organization and structure, Occean might not have been that wide open.

On the other hand a few of the other chances, like the cross bar from Dero, was a direct result of the type of defensive screw ups and blunders that you are very unlikely to see from any half decent side.

So yes, we still do need to prove that we can construct better offensive chances so that we can create more chances because some of the chances we created in Cuba wont be there against a quality side. That's why Hutch is key to game against Honduras.

I did watch the Honduras-Panama game and was not really impressed by either team and Honduras in particular looked like a team past its prime. And admittedly in this round if we play crappy and still advance I will accept it a lot more than I did from the last round. However, I think if we are going to win or tie against Honduras we will need an effort much more similar to that against the US than that against Cuba.

Both sides looked light years ahead of Cuba to me. Their touches and ball movement were better and you could see some semblance of preparation. Granted the contrasts in pitch quality between Havana and San Pedro Sula may have had a lot to do with it. Honduras looks like they will be counting on Izaguirre (sp) as their main man. I don't know that he can carry that mantle and have the same impact as some of his predecessors. To me, they look like team in transition so there is an opportunity there.

If you weren't there you have no clue how tough of a match that was and how well we actually did play all things considered! The Cubans used everything they could to their advantage with the 2PM kick off and the pitch being so long and bumpy! I am not a huge fan of Hart but his possesion game served us quite well in these horrible conditions especially with 10 men! I love hot weather, the hotter the better for me and it was tough for us under a covered stand to deal with these conditions and we're just the fans! Believe me, this result was huge and if we didn't win the match it would not have been a shock given what they were up against!

Don't forget the 5 year old ball boys ..the one kid was chasing an goal-kick ball and his little friend with the live ball was watching him fetch it. I thought Lars was going to lose it .

My only real worry going into this game right now is over-confidence. Going into this round of World Cup Qualifying I think both the supporters and players were much more realistic about the massive challenge facing the team than we all were in 2008. After these last two games against the US and Cuba this is the most optimistic I can remember the forum being since pre-WCQ 2008/Gold Cup 2007. I think we all have to keep in mind that this Honduras team is still a very good squad no matter what result they got down in Panama. Yes they are beatable, but let's make sure we play a similarly solid defensive game as we did against the US and Cuba without letting down our guard at all going forward after these performances.

Still think the major worry is lack of confidence.. that's why I think in their history they tend to get nervous at critical times/games, there's always doubt in their minds .. how can there not be .. until they really accomplish something.

Archived