Canada vs Honduras Tues June 12th

Canada1

I don't know why everyone is s concerned about Honduras at home or away? They have lost their last two home matches including losing at home to New Zealand... are we not better than New Zealand?

We win this game 3-1.

That reasoning is ignorant, like saying we're on Ukraine's level because we drew them away. Honduras is a team with pissed off top level talent, they're going to be very tough to beat Tuesday.

Does anyone know whats up with some of their non call ups? Martinez, De Leon, Alvarez, Najar, Espinoza all left out.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honduras lost to New Zealand who is playing utter ****e football right now. I took the time to watch that lolzfest known as the OFC Nations Cup and they were poor. Right now I'd wager on them not earning the 0.5 WC berth from OFC.

Not saying they will be easy, but the reality is this team IS NOT as good as their WC 2010 side. They have regressed and their form in many games since that tournament is proof on top of what we saw last night. During last cycle they were the clear and deserved #3 team in our region, this is simply not true anymore. They are competitive, but no longer on top of the middle pack.

Honduras lost to New Zealand who is playing utter ****e football right now. I took the time to watch that lolzfest known as the OFC Nations Cup and they were poor. Right now I'd wager on them not earning the 0.5 WC berth from OFC.

Bounced at the hands of New Caledonia, meaning that they won't represent the OFC at the confederations cup. They'll still be favourites to win the 0.5 spot, but maybe it won't be as easy as last time. And I'll bet that whoever the 4th team in concacaf is will be stiffer competition than Bahrain.

By the way, if you think our MNT gets no respect at home, I haven't heard one word about the New Zealand national team since I've been here other than when I've looked up their results online. But there's plenty of people talking about the euro, and the all blacks' test last night.

Bounced at the hands of New Caledonia, meaning that they won't represent the OFC at the confederations cup. They'll still be favourites to win the 0.5 spot, but maybe it won't be as easy as last time. And I'll bet that whoever the 4th team in concacaf is will be stiffer competition than Bahrain.

By the way, if you think our MNT gets no respect at home, I haven't heard one word about the New Zealand national team since I've been here other than when I've looked up their results online. But there's plenty of people talking about the euro, and the all blacks' test last night.

Well that's depressing, I'd like to think that if Canada went undefeated at a World Cup they'd become a household team.

I'll go 2-1 Canada, although I also think 1-0 could easily happen.

I posted this question in another thread, but here seems more appropriate: Palacios got subbed out at halftime for Honduras ... was that a coach's decision, or is he injured?

I would say that Rugby is to New Zealand as Hockey is to Canada, but that would understate it...

New Zealand has rugby, which is top, then cricket, then soccer. And soccer is really way below. Of course, New Zealand is even more parochial than Canada, so as soon as they do well, then the All-Whites rise to the front page.

Go take a look at the highlights of Honduras vs New Zealand. NZ got the one goal and hung on for dear life the rest of the game. It was all Honduras and they hit the post numerous times.

I'd say that's more of NZ not being all that great than Honduras playing well. Their last bunch of matches seem to say they are playing just OK at best.

Since winning the 2011 Copa Centroamerica, they have 5 wins, 5 draws and 10 losses. Been shutout in 10 of those matches. Takeaway the 7 goals scored vs Grenada and they have just 13 goals scored in 19 matches. They are a side having issues without question.

I understand the Canadian cautiously optimistic attitude and there's no reason why Honduras can't win on Tuesday, but we shouldn't think of them as strong as when we saw them last cycle because the truth is...they just aren't playing as well as they were then. If there was ever a time for us to take advantage of them, it's now.

That reasoning is ignorant, like saying we're on Ukraine's level because we drew them away. Honduras is a team with pissed off top level talent, they're going to be very tough to beat Tuesday.

Does anyone know whats up with some of their non call ups? Martinez, De Leon, Alvarez, Najar, Espinoza all left out.

They were a tam with top level talent, they are now a team on the decline who are in a bit of disarray.. this is a game we should win. If you don't think so then I'm guessing you don't think we have near the quality to make the next round of qualifying.

Panama will be much tougher, this is a game that either says we are ready to take the next step or we aren't.

I for one think we win, I know you don't.

On the Honduras National Football website. A poll indicates 56% Canada to win, 30% Honduras to win and 14% to draw. Moral seems low in Honduras. I think all of us know how they feel. God I hope we kick their asses on Tuesday.

I’m not sure why we are spending anytime talking about NZ when it’s Honduras we are playing but OK.

NZ isn’t playing the best footie right now I agree, but they are missing their top TWO defenders in a 3 backs formation, you figure that out. Both Nelsen and Reid are Premiership players as well.

Secondly if you watched the OFC as you say you did, then you would have noticed that the state of the pitch was an absolute disgrace, it was 1000 times worse then Cuba. I’m not sure how it even qualifies for a FIFA sanctioned event. NZ’s semi loss was the 14th game played on it in 7 days.

Thirdly that was NZ’s 4 game inside 8 days. Because of the tight turn around they rotated their squad quite a bit to make up for fatigue as well as the heat (imagine playing 4 games in Cuba in the middle of summer, oh right). Herbert (coach) also wanted to give as much plating time to his young squad member’s as possible knowing that with the Olympics around the corner this was there best chance to get game time.

Yes they are in a transitional state but at the end of the day they drew El Salvador and beat Honduras on the road, Not bad for a ****e side. As far as the hung on for dear life yes they did, but maybe you didn’t see in ‘the highlights’ but NZ created just as many ‘real’ scoring chances as Honduras (I actually make that comment from watching the whole game). Who cares who has the most possession, hell, as Canadian fans we should know by now that doesn’t win you games. Also it was a young side that got even younger after all the second half subs. When was the last time you saw Canada start or sub in mostly under 23’s when playing a full MNT game? And still win.

Three games against Concacaf teams going back to Feb and they scored 5 times for a 1 1 1 record. Do you think they fear playing the 4th best team from Concacaf?

I said before I do not want to see Canada play this side it would suck, of course without question I will always cheer for Canada first, but I will not take this NZ side lightly, those who do may end up bitterly disappointed.

(edit) Sorry I would just like to add, speaking of being bitterly disappointed. If we don't smash the **** out of these pissbagers i will be super ****ing disappointed.

I don't care how well we play or what the scoreline is as long as we end up 6 points after two matches. We can start worrying more about performances when we become a side who can be expected to win when it counts. Until we start doing that consistently, all I care about is the result.

We should always be cautiously optimistic against all Latin opposition, especially Honduras. In 2008 we had a must-win against them in Montreal and we lost after two highlight-reel goals (Costly?). They play aggressive, in many cases dirty (ask Radzinski), and combined that with shoddy inconsistent CONCACAF officiating you know what we get.

Hopefully the host venue people will not be so accommodating like in the Jamaica match. Like allowing guest singers to sing the opponent's national anthem (extended version !!) to inspire their team, or allow "cultural dancers" as the pre-game or half-time show ( vs. T&T in 2000). It's bad enough some pseudo-Canadians would attend and support all Latino teams.

Canada 2, Honduras 1. Canadian goals from DDR and David Edgar.

Sorry I just don't like Honduras. It's bad enough Archundia ripped us off in Edmonton with another phantom call in 2004. Time is ripe for payback.

Archived