Canada vs Honduras Tues June 12th

Canada1

Even though everyone is digesting the match played this morning. I thought I would add a thread for those who are looking ahead to next weeks match against Honduras.

I will start with my prediction: 2-1 win for Canada.

Canada Goal Scorers: OO will score if healthy and Dero is looking extremely dangerous.

Honduras Goal Scorers: ????.

It will be a very nervy match but I feel Canada is gaining enough momentum at the right time and the play on the field taking into consideration the conditions is very satisfactory.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really curious to see this iteration of Honduras. They've lost a few players and have a bunch that are getting older. Really don't know anything about the young'ens. Will learn alot from the game tonight against Panama

Pretty bummed that I can't make this game now due to unforeseen circumstances. :(

Getting another 3 points would be so huge!

Anyone want to take my pair of tickets off me for supporters section cost (20each)? Section 116 row 15 seats 21-22

In Toronto.

If Honduras continues to play to the flanks and drop-in crosses v. Canada as they are v. Panama then we should be fairly comfortable with our big DF and GK. If they play through the middle then JDG and Hutch are going to have to be a 3 man shield with Johnson.

1-1 draw.

Panama up 2-0 on Honduras and the Hondo GK just made a double PK save or it's 3-0. Honduras started much brighter, but Panama got it done from two Perez goals. Were they excellent? Nah, they were OK. They had lots of power, but a better GK (such as Milan) makes the saves. Maybe not the first goal, it had lots of power, but the second should have been saved for sure.

Anyway, a win in Toronto and we're +6 on Honduras and have the hex almost totally locked-up with 4 games left. So let's go guys! Get rid of my last 1-1 projection and prove me wrong!

Honduras just loosing 2:0 at home means that they will come out hard against us on the 12th. They cannot afford to go down 6 points to us and Panama. We just got to be strong on defense and counter with a lot of speed... which we have.

This situation actually places us in a good position as Honduras loosing all the points it can is good news. We don't need to beat both Honduras and Panama, we just need to beat one. It looks right now that Honduras is the team for us to beat. Another episode like in Montreal and I will be pissed. It would be nice to stick it to them now when they really need the win.

According to the FIFA website, the referee will be Enrico Wijngaarde from Suriname. In the previous round, he refereed the match Canada played in Puerto Rico.

He also reffed the Mexico/Canada match back in the '08 cycle. I do remember a bad call leading to the Salcido FK goal but on the whole he seemed to do a decent job (4 yellows for Canada but one was an intentional handball, one was Radz taking his shirt off after scoring and one was Kevin Harmse so it doesn't count).

He also reffed the Mexico/Canada match back in the '08 cycle. I do remember a bad call leading to the Salcido FK goal but on the whole he seemed to do a decent job (4 yellows for Canada but one was an intentional handball, one was Radz taking his shirt off after scoring and one was Kevin Harmse so it doesn't count).

Ya I remember Harmse absolutely destroying a Mexican in injury time

I see some predictions of 2-1 or 2-0. Scoring two goals in game in this round would be quite an achievement for Canada. In 2008 we scored six goals in six games. In 2004 we scored four goals in six games and in 2000 one goal in six. I'm sure that if i went back to 1996 to look at the hex and semi final round i would find similar averages of one goal or less per game. anyone who advances to the hex or qualifies from concacaf easily scores, on average, 2 goals or even more per game. Not to beat a dead horse here, but we know why have not done better.

We will have cleared a major hurdle in our progress and have huge boost of confidence if we could muster two goals in a key wcq match against a non minnow. And we would exorcised the demons of a long history.

I see some predictions of 2-1 or 2-0. Scoring two goals in game in this round would be quite an achievement for Canada. In 2008 we scored six goals in six games. In 2004 we scored four goals in six games and in 2000 one goal in six. I'm sure that if i went back to 1996 to look at the hex and semi final round i would find similar averages of one goal or less per game. anyone who advances to the hex or qualifies from concacaf easily scores, on average, 2 goals or even more per game. Not to beat a dead horse here, but we know why have not done better.

We will have cleared a major hurdle in our progress and have huge boost of confidence if we could muster two goals in a key wcq match against a non minnow. And we would exorcised the demons of a long history.

The doom and gloom is not unjustified, but last round we scored two goals against mexico with a depleted lineup in a game that was meaningless for us but not for them. In our other home games we had a number of near misses that could've been goals as well such as Gerba's post against Honduras and Dero's low header that beat Donovan Ricketts but bounced off the BMO turf and over the bar. The chances will come, we just have to bury them.

According to the FIFA website, the referee will be Enrico Wijngaarde from Suriname. In the previous round, he refereed the match Canada played in Puerto Rico.

I am in the minority, but I think CONCACAF officiating is improving. If you watched the 2nd caution sending off of the Greece player vs Poland today, CONCACAF does not have a monopoly on poor referee decisions. In the past, I think there's been an obvious bias against us, or at least against our style of play, and I haven't found myself thinking that lately. Of course, I have probably doomed us with this comment.

Regardless of Friday night's results, we need to respect this opponent...but not overly-respect them, if that makes sense. They may be a tough opponent to break down but in the process of doing so we need to watch out for the swift counter (that which killed us in Montreal four years ago). I didn't see highlights of the Panama game but they have guys who are quality wingers when operating on all cylinders so I'm wondering if they'll use the flanks more on the attack and test our FBs.

Looking forward to a good match.

We need Johnson and De Guzman to stay on form, I'm not worried about Will so much as Julian for obvious reasons. Both were really awesome yesterday though (but was it Will who gave away the ball that led to our red or Ledgerwood?).. even if it was him, he more than made up for it.. can we just give Will the armband already?

I don't know why everyone is s concerned about Honduras at home or away? They have lost their last two home matches including losing at home to New Zealand... are we not better than New Zealand?

We win this game 3-1.

I don't know why everyone is s concerned about Honduras at home or away? They have lost their last two home matches including losing at home to New Zealand... are we not better than New Zealand?

We win this game 3-1.

http://vvcap.net/db/uPfYakmWM819wL0bTk8l.htp

That is New Zealand's results at WC 2010. So before we start slagging them realize we could'nt make the hex for 2010, whereas NZ qualifie and did'nt lose a game at the WC. So no we have'nt shown we are better than New Zealand unfortunately.

Archived