TFC Major Announcement News Conferece June 7th 2012

jpg75

Bad mistake. Winter can eventually become our version of Pep Guardiola in like 2-3 years time.

I hope it's the signing of Seedorf or Ballack....or Ricardo Carvalho. The latter would be something else.

Yeah, i think the guy totally misjudged the way the game is played in MLS, but he would have eventually become a competent coach. With his promotion of Canadian players this club would have become what we've been hoping for from the start.

If our backline looks like this (see below) next game i will freak:

Hall----Aceval---Harden-----Ecks

Definitely looked very much like game over for him when De Klerk was "promoted" recently. Suspect MLSE were trying to get both of them to resign so they wouldn't have to pay out their contracts (like they are probably still doing with Preki). Winter had to indentify a viable short term fix for central defence after the Caiceido/Aceval snafu and failed so it was time to move on, in my opinion. No way could he be the one calling the shots in another transfer window after that.

^ Pretty sure De Klerk was "promoted" because of his embarassing behaviour trying to accost Jesse Marsch after TFC defeated Montreal.

Love this quote from Tom Anselmi: "The buck stops with me. Ultimately i'm responsible..."

Buddy, get the f@ck out. You have no idea what you're doing.

Love this quote from Tom Anselmi: "The buck stops with me. Ultimately i'm responsible..."

Buddy, get the f@ck out. You have no idea what you're doing.

Major high five right there.

Anselmi is so responsible that he dodged question after question, says he can't be held "collectively responsible", says he doesn't have answers, and leans on Mariner to answer most of the questions.

MLSE need to give their head a shake a realize that seven coaches in six years indicates an ownership/management problem -- not a coaching problem.

Anyone who doesn't allow a coach two to three proper years to develop a plan, doesn't deserve the opportunity to make a coaching decision again -- much less over-and-over again. Brutal!

Yeah, i think the guy totally misjudged the way the game is played in MLS, but he would have eventually become a competent coach. With his promotion of Canadian players this club would have become what we've been hoping for from the start.

If our backline looks like this (see below) next game i will freak:

Hall----Aceval---Harden-----Ecks

That's EXACTLY my worry, you hit the nail on the head there. If it does, I may quit TFC including the Henry jersey I was thinking about getting!

Yeah, i think the guy totally misjudged the way the game is played in MLS, but he would have eventually become a competent coach.

Based on what do you think he would have become a competent coach? I never saw much talent or ability in him at all. An uninspiring but yet prickly personality who tried to convince everyone after every game that they did not see what they just saw. And despite his failures as a coach his player recruitment and player evaluation was far worse. One would think with his history he might have had some contacts to reasonably priced Dutch/European players but that was not the case. I agree with BBTB that TFC really could not leave him in charge of another transfer period.

Whether Mariner is the right replacement is another issue. One question is how much input did he have into the present state of affairs. Another is what is the long term plan and should the team consider this season finished or not. Mariner's experience as coach is only slightly bigger than Winter's. Should TFC had someone really good lined up if they were going to fire Winter or should they have done what they did: in essence saying the season is over so lets stick a guy already on salary as an interim for this year and see if he is a good coach or not and if not start from scratch next year. I think the former would have been the better choice, TFC needs to get on track and they need to start as soon as possible and I don't think Mariner would be on the top of anyone's list as the guy to do that.

Oh yeah since I am so loved on TFC threads that I am called a troll every time I post something not in agreement with those drinking the MLSE Kool-Aid about how player X or Winter or Preki are the new saviour, it is time for Grizzly's "I Told You So" moment! :) My post from the thread about Winter's hire:

Once again TFC hires an extremely inexperienced and relatively cheap manager with no MLS or CONCACAF experience. Mariner would have been a similarly inexperienced and cheap choice as head manager but is a good choice for assistant and to give Winter someone with MLS experience to advise him. On the other hand it remains to be seen how much input he will have as we have seen that a previous good choice as assistant, Bob Gansler, was unable to exert much influence on the team.

Certainly both Winter and Mariner were excellent players but that does not always make a top or even competent manager. Both are well regarded but then again Carver was also well regarded as an assistant. It reeks once again of a cheap hiring despite the large amount of money available to MLSE. Reminds me of the CSA strategy of hiring cheap managers with little experience or track record. Eventually one of them will pan out but this is not a very good strategy for consistent results. If I were a TFC fan I would not be very happy with my club being the proving ground for someone's first job as a professional manager especially after 4 years of mismanagement of the club. I thought they would hire someone with a much stronger record of success and a higher price tag.

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?41419-Aron-Winter-new-Manager-Technical-Director-of-Toronto-FC&highlight=winter

I base it on the fact that he had changed his tactics in MLS play and the team was finally and slowly getting more competitive. Also, the fact that he led the team to within 45 minutes of the CCL Final. But I don't have a crystal ball and to be honest i'm not really going to argue with you on whether he would have come around or not.

Now, whether Paul Mariner has what it takes or not is a whole new question. Fans at Plymouth were not to impressed by him so i'm not sure we're getting anyone more capable at this point.

Yeah.... Have to say I agree with grizz on this one. What's to say Aron winter ever becomes anything worth while? Personally I'd bet against that heavily.

Should have been fired a while ago. The fact he was offered a position as a youth coach just shows the people up top are about CYA and penny pinching rather than performance.

Mariner's resume is a smattering of minor successes and failures. If I was a TFC fan he would not inspire confidence.

But I'm not a TFC fan, and even further from it now than before this announcement. Is it really necessary to make this move today and hence dominate that part of the soccer news cycle that isn't already full up with some other continent's tournament when Canada will be playing it's most (and only) important match of the last 4 years 24 hours later? Stay classy, MLSE.

No free pass for MLSE here. However, Aron Winter was clearly the 2nd coming of Rud Gullit. He just didnt understand the game here with what he had to work with. Round hole, square pegs. He might do well in Europe some day, but not in MLS.

Timing is interesting. At one point earlier I thought his goose might have been cooked when it appeared he had lost the room (comments from Kocic, de Guzman after that one earlier loss), yet later, even after Koevermans "worst team" comments I still sensed a solidarity on the team or at the least no rumour discontent with the coaching, highlighted by the V Cup crown. Any links to players' reactions?

I'm really curious to know what future personnel adjustments will be made by Mariner. Would be stunned to see the aforementioned Aceval in at CB at the expense of young Henry.

This is just awful timing on TFC's part and proves what we already know... they know a lot more about making money than football. So not after the team started 0-4..5...6....7...8...? Its not like they took the time to find the replacement, which I would find excusable.. they just shifted positions.. AGAIN. I'm sure we'll see some has been signing before July 1st that will be used to bring back some excitement before more disappointment.

I base it on the fact that he had changed his tactics in MLS play and the team was finally and slowly getting more competitive. Also, the fact that he led the team to within 45 minutes of the CCL Final. But I don't have a crystal ball and to be honest i'm not really going to argue with you on whether he would have come around or not.

Now, whether Paul Mariner has what it takes or not is a whole new question. Fans at Plymouth were not to impressed by him so i'm not sure we're getting anyone more capable at this point.

I agree with this. To add to his cause, Winter at the very least played attractive soccer and was getting more competitive. All our other managers so far have played ugly, losing soccer. This decision is bogus.

Yeah.... Have to say I agree with grizz on this one. What's to say Aron winter ever becomes anything worth while? Personally I'd bet against that heavily.

Should have been fired a while ago. The fact he was offered a position as a youth coach just shows the people up top are about CYA and penny pinching rather than performance.

Making him a youth coach at the very least would've been ideal.

This is just awful timing on TFC's part and proves what we already know... they know a lot more about making money than football. So not after the team started 0-4..5...6....7...8...? Its not like they took the time to find the replacement, which I would find excusable.. they just shifted positions.. AGAIN. I'm sure we'll see some has been signing before July 1st that will be used to bring back some excitement before more disappointment.

Yeah, why the hell would you fire him after a two game winning streak?

Making him a youth coach at the very least would've been ideal

At this point? I don't know about that... Leaving people in place to undermine each other and stew about demotions? The fact that TFC even offered it as a choice is disturbing. Says something about their willingness to pay severance IMO.

MLSE need to give their head a shake a realize that seven coaches in six years indicates an ownership/management problem -- not a coaching problem.

100%.

Under qualified management is killing this team and it starting to cost the owners money. How Anselmi has kept his job at this point is beyond me but is just further evidence that the rot in the front office extends above and beyond just his hide.

Curious timing. TFC are showing encouraging signs but the reset button has been hit. I'm going to guess with the WCQ campaign and the Euro's starting the powers that be hope this sixth (or is it seventh?) manger firing will quickly become yesterdays news.

Archived