Euro 2012 predictions, stars and goats

ken

Euro 2012 is on us this friday, time to put in print predictions of who is likely to win, Spain or Germany; who is going to overachieve, Russia, Poland and maybe Croatia and who is going to crash and burn - Portugal and England. So here's to it.

Who gets through the groups:

Group A: Russia, Poland

Group B: Germany, Netherlands

Group C: Spain, Croatia (sorry Italy)

Group D: France, England

Who are the Final Four:

Germany, Netherlands, Spain and France

Who wins:

Germany over Spain

Who overachieves:

This is a bit tricky as it goes up against expectations, Russia and Poland are in an easier group so getting through while an acheivement might not be a great one. France by not self destructing as in South Africa might consider it a sucess. I'll give it to Poland and Croatia.

Who crashes and Burns:

France and Russia are similar in that they both are mercurial, almost manic-depressive teams that can dazzle or roll over and die, the Dutch can self destruct spectacularly too. This year my guesses for the problem children are Portugal (fading golden generation), Italy (distractions at home) and England (low point in a development cycle - 46 years). Ukraine is in a different situation, if things go badly both the team and the fans could embarass.

Golden Boot:

A last hurrah for Klose.

Why not, eh?

Who gets through the groups(first, second):

Group A: Russia, Greece

Group B: Denmark, Germany

Group C: Italy, Ireland

Group D: France, Ukraine

Who are the Final Four:

Germany, Italy, Denmark, France

Who wins:

Italy over France

Who overachieves:

Italy. They've been written off after their poor World Cup, and now have lost three straight. Surrounded by scandal and a squad of new no-names(comparatively speaking) they slide into the Champions seat with classic Italian quality defense, potent finishing.

Who crashes and Burns:

Spain. Too much football for their players, and amidst and increasing Barca-Madrid rivalry, they just can't pull it together. Missing Villa hurts them too much.

Golden Boot:

Antonion Di Natale (Italy)

Group A: Russia, Czechs

Group C: Spain, Croatia

Who are the Final Four:

Germany, Netherlands, Spain and England

Who wins:

Germany over Spain

Who overachieves:

Although they have quite a few new faces and injury problems, England will overachieve (that's what Hodgson does) and make it to the semis.

Who crashes and Burns:

Portugal as Ronaldo can't do it alone. Italy have too much negative stuff going on and won't get out of their group. Also both hosts will not make the quarters ... let's hope things stay sane.

Golden Boot:

Ribery.

Group A: Russia, Czechs

Group C: Spain, Croatia

Who are the Final Four:

Germany, Netherlands, Spain and England

Who wins:

Germany over Spain

Who overachieves:

Although they have quite a few new faces and injury problems, England will overachieve (that's what Hodgson does) and make it to the semis.Who crashes and Burns:

Portugal as Ronaldo can't do it alone. Italy have too much negative stuff going on and won't get out of their group. Also both hosts will not make the quarters ... let's hope things stay sane.

Golden Boot:

Ribery.

Like the way your thinking Rob. It feels counter intuative to do so but I'm with you on this. I'm going for a German Victory in eastern Europe as well..... <supresses urge to come out with traditional brit joke about ZE-VOR!>

Golden boot? Golden Head for me, and that might be carrol.

Group A: Poland, Russia

Group B: Netherlands, Germany

Group C: Spain, Ireland

Who are the Final Four:

Germany, Netherlands, Spain and France

Who wins:

Netherlands over Germany

Who overachieves:

Poland

Who underachieves:

Portugal and Italy

Golden Boot:

Robin van Persie

Who gets through the groups(first, second):

Group A: Russia, Poland

Group B: Germany, Portugal

Group C: Italy, Spain

Group D: France, Sweden

Who are the Final Four:

Germany, France, Portugal, Italy

Who wins:

Germany over Italy--------And I'll cheer against them both the whole way.

Who overachieves:

Italians will do what they usually do in crisis. Circle the wagons and become impenetrable.

Ronaldo decides to show up for an international tournament and Portugal surprise.

Who crashes and Burns:

Spain. Netherlands. The ones who usually fold under pressure will revert to their mean output.

Golden Boot:

Ronaldo

ps I hope I'm wrong on all of this and Ireland win the Euro with the golden boot going to Robbie Keane

I think soccer brings an unhealthy level of joy in my life.

You and my Argentinean girlfriend, who thought she was getting a guy who did not follow football like most canadiense.

Yes, Poland looked powerful in the first half, fell apart in the second. Will need a mighty effort against Russia.

To follow up on the old adage that all Pundits are Pillocks theam.

So much for Russia winning the whole thing. Open up with a 4-1 Mullering of Croatia but end up booking out of the hotel early?

Bet that played well in Moscow. 25 years someone would have been booking into Hotel Saltmine Siberria after this outcome.

Not that I'm attempting to throw a pompous holier than though British attitude over this.

We who endure the English, for more than three or six weeks every couple of years, still don't facny our chances against the other host.:D

C,mon Sweden!

gaaaaaaaaaaaawd I suck :(

Perhaps a but too self-critical. Nobody did much better than a coin toss would have done. For those of you keeping score at home, here are the correct results for guesses as to who has advanced past the group stage:

Ken - Ger, Sp, Fr, Eng (4)

RJB - Gre, Ger, Ita, Fr (4)

rob.notenboom - Cz, Ger, Sp, Fr, Eng (5)

Beachesl - Ger, Sp, Fr, Eng (4)

closetboostie - Ger, Por, Ita, Sp, Fr (5)

TheKottonmouthed - Ger, Por, Ita, Sp (4)

Mr. Impact - Ger, Por, Sp, Ita, Fr (5)

Very little difference between any of us and I suspect if we scoured the internet for pundits predictions they would not have done much better or worse.

Could we say today that Portugal have officially overachieved?

Could we say today that Portugal have officially overachieved?

I think its more to do with Netherlands underachieving. When we saw the draw most of us knew that whoever advanced from Group "B" would essentially get a bye to the semis. And advancing from group "B" suddenly became rather straight-forward for a country that has reached 4 consecutive Euro quarterfinals (ie Portugal) once you consider Holland played worse than the likes of Croatia, Russia, Sweden.... well, pretty much everyone except Ireland.

I think its more to do with Netherlands underachieving. When we saw the draw most of us knew that whoever advanced from Group "B" would essentially get a bye to the semis. And advancing from group "B" suddenly became rather straight-forward for a country that has reached 4 consecutive Euro quarterfinals (ie Portugal) once you consider Holland played worse than the likes of Croatia, Russia, Sweden.... well, pretty much everyone except Ireland.

Actually, considering the quality of talent Ireland had at its disposal . Holland played worse than them as well.

Archived