FIFA date August 15 - anything?

The August 15th date on the FIFA calendar used to be reserved for WCQ in Concacaf. And thankfully they got rid of it this time as a WCQ date on the Concacaf calendar and replaced it with two games in June. The problem with that date is that under FIFA rules, the clubs are required to release played for a shorter time (i think its 3 days prior to that date) period compare to the Sept and Oct FIFA calendar dates whereby the release period is five days prior. I suspect that we have been screwed by this because the euro based players would have to leave the start of their training camp on short notice and it was to come to North America to play only one game. The short period, i strongly suspect, hampered preparation and training.

And it showed, we played Jamaica the last time on this August FIFA date and got 1-1 home draw, Not what we wanted. Previously, we drew Guatemala on this date and again, not the scoreline we wanted. meanwhile outside of Concaacf, sides were using this date to play friendlies.

Edit.: for the things that went right for Canada in the world cup draw this is another one. Starting in early June with two games means that our NA based players are in Mid season form and our Euro based player would have just completed their season rather than being in mid to end of summer conditioning after a two month lay off. This was the problem with starting on that Aug 15 WCQ date.

Archived