London City's new owners appear to be spending significant money on overseas players

http://canadiansoccerleague.com/newsnet/templates/?a=550&z=32

The club is waiting on several players to come to London, including Boban Stojanovic, a player who spent 10 years with top Serbian club Red Star Belgrade. But the players have had immigration issues, including a couple of players from Croatia, one from Cameroon and another from Serbia.

Stojanovic and the other players are expected to be in London this week, ready for their next home match on Friday at 8:30 p.m. against the Windsor Stars at Cove Road.

The ten years with Red Star thing isn't quite as impressive as it appears at first glance when you look at the details of his career because he was loaned out a lot to smaller clubs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boban_Stojanovi%C4%87

but it will be interesting to see how London's soccer community reacts to this.

There were only about 500 or so people at the home-opener at TD, and there were actually a fair few travelling fans supporting TorCro. On top of that, most of the home crowd were soccer-parents hanging out chatting amongst themselves while their kids ran around playing. I never thought I would say it, but I want to go back to the Cove and see the old crowd again...

EDIT: In case I wasn't clear, it would appear London's soccer community didn't really care for the first match. A London Marconi youth side were in attendance in uniform, but that seemed to mostly come down to Andrew Loague being their coach. For me personally, I wasn't entirely happy to watch a total of one Londoner(also the sole Canadian) play with an almost uniformly aging Serbian squad. At the same time, if this new direction works out you've got to think local youth development will improve and opportunities for local players will present themselves down the road somewhere.

I hear there's money in match fixing as well.

wow, well if 'hip' says so, it must be true. No wonder you have a super anonymous tag, your slandering the owners ('take that for contributing to Canadian soccer'). Can you provide any actual proof to back up your corruption allegations specifically against the owners?

Why don't I go around at whatever business mr 'hip' works at and act like he's a tax cheat? If you read 'hip's' mighty 19 posts, he is apparently is more interested in attacking the CSL then actually supporting canadian soccer? Get a positive hobby instead of a hateful obsession (spend that time exercising?)

I really question why CSL teams bother spending money. They can't be making much, if any, money.

Drawing low four figure crowds isn't completely out of the question in a London context. There is a market for minor league sports in medium sized cities that isn't there in the GTA so much. The problem has always been finding a league that provides a sustainable economic model for that. The main problem with the NSL/CSL approach is that the top locally based players in London are usually turned off by the travel demands and gravitate towards playing in WOSL premier and the Ontario Cup instead, so the new owners are doing the sort of thing that needs to be done to field a competitive side. Whether it works will depend on how quickly people start to take City seriously again after the way things have been over the last two decades and/or how deep the owners pockets and commitment level to the franchise are.

Archived