Cuba vs Canada June 8 Pregame Thread

nolando

Just putting all the times on my calendar and noticed that the Havana match is set for 2 PM EST on a Friday.

http://www.concacaf.com/page/WCQ/Schedule/0,,12813,00.html

If that is correct then that blows as most of Canada won't have a chance to see it live. Not a day I can take off, for instance, and I'm sure I'm not the only diehard, let alone all the casual fans who might have watched it on a Friday evening or a Saturday.

Am I missing something?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has it even been confirmed this match will be on TV? Cuba isn't exactly a beacon of TV programming (although I guess its no worse than Puerto Rico).

But yes that 2 PM time sucks...I have an exam at the International Centre that ends right at two. I'll need to find a good bar somewhere close that will show it if its on TV.

Time difference situations like this are a shame. Im sure many of us will be working, or either trying to do their best to book work off

It's not a time difference, it's the same time zone. They chose the afternoon to use the heat to their advantage.

Has it even been confirmed this match will be on TV? Cuba isn't exactly a beacon of TV programming (although I guess its no worse than Puerto Rico).

But yes that 2 PM time sucks...I have an exam at the International Centre that ends right at two. I'll need to find a good bar somewhere close that will show it if its on TV.

Yup it will be on sportsnet.

I took the day off as Euros start same day at noon EDT, then Canada vs Cuba and then another Euro match. I think a no-brainer for any footy lover to celebrate a great day for the sport.

So, an afternoon start sandwiched between 2 Euro matches is actually more ideal than might be initially viewed given that a lot of football followers will be watching tv that afternoon. However, the setting & atmosphere in Cuba will pale in comparison especially for the eurosnobs.

2pm for Canada-Cuba will overlap with the second Euro game kicking off that day at 2:45 EST.

Secondly don't worry the 50ish of us down in Cuba will ensure that the atmosphere at that game is as good as any game at the Euros!

Kick-off times like these in hot places shouldn't be allowed. This is more than just a home advantage, it's dangerous!

It's ridiculous, where is the line drawn? Should we play at 2 am up north in November? These games should have set times or at least a few reasonable hours to choose from!

It's ridiculous, where is the line drawn? Should we play at 2 am up north in November? These games should have set times or at least a few reasonable hours to choose from!

We should be playing at 9 PM local time in Edmonton in November. Its international soccer nothing wrong with having some HFA. Mexico played the US during the day in '09 just to screw with them even though Mexico City is one of most dangerous cities in the world in terms of air quality during the day (although it turned out it was an abnormally cool day).

Kick-off times like these in hot places shouldn't be allowed. This is more than just a home advantage, it's dangerous!

Let's look into this little deeper from geographical and meteorological perspective.

Avg temperature on June 8th in Havana at 2PM is 30 C. Yes it is the HOTTEST time of the day. Yes I believe they ****ing chose this time of the day on purpose.

What about the elevation? In South America, Both Ecuador and Bolivia are almost automatic in their home field due to sky high elevation (La Paz goes almost up to 4000 meters). Fortunately in Havana, it's only about 40 meters. Negligible.

What about the humidity? In my opinion, this is the killer and will almost surely slow the game to a halt. What is it at 2pm? well, look at that... if they were smarter, the kick off should've started at 5AM which is at 92%... instead (drum roll...) only 65% pf humidity which is considered mild to Cuban standard. And also the lowest point of the day.

In conclusion, will we survive in this God awful scorching 30 degree kick off time? God I hope so... but it's going to be a challenge despite the elevation and humidity being somewhat manageable.

http://weatherspark.com/averages/32674/6/8/Havana-City-of-Havana-Cuba

Let's look into this little deeper...

What about the elevation? ....

What about the humidity? ... .

What about pollution?

It is what it is but if you're not used to it there's no doubt about it, you can sure wilt in the heat. Think we've seen that once or twice over the years.

If we're going to have the heat and humidity it would sure be nice to get some rain. Feels cooler even if it really isn't but at least the clouds will keep the sun from helping to fry you.

2pm is ****ty for watching... I guess I'll just throw it on during class and make my kids watch it.

11 AM is even worse. Especially with a massive school event on that I can't afford to miss. Damn you Cuba!! I still don't get why it's on a Friday.

Good blog on Cuban football- says that they beat Corinthians U-20 team 1-0 on the weekend. Looks like although they have used 4-1-4-1 from time-to-time, they also used this fairly offensive 4-1-2-2-1 formation vs Corinthians, which was also used more defensively as a 4-5-1 vs Brazilian club San Benito in a scoreless draw last week:

----------------------Roberto Linares-----------------

---Sánder Fernández ------------- Beto Gómez-------------

-------Ariel Martínez ------- Marcel Hernández -------------

----------------Jorge Luis Clavelo-------------------------

Colomé -- Fernández---Yenier Márquez -- Aliannis Urgellés

-------------------------Cooper (GK)----------------------

I guess we should expect a defensive 4-5-1, especially in the first half in Havana as they try to weather the storm and tire us out at the same time. Good tactic given the climate that Simeon and Occean typically play in. Really hope that we don't play a defensive 4-5-1 too or it could look like this classic match: http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/simpsons-explain-soccer/LX4RzIMfZsf03GZpqLs1Bw

In all honesty, I don't care how ugly it looks on camera, as long as we win, even 1-0.

http://futbol-cubano.blogspot.ca/

Do you have a smart phone or a tablet? (I'm assuming it's an assembly)

Massive program-wide summit that I am co-hosting but which was booked before I arrived on the scene. It happens.I've watched the MNT before on a Chinese feed with Colombian radio for audio so where there's a will there's a way, right?

Glad to hear that the team is training in Ft. Lauderdale all week, should be able to get a bunch of mid day training sessions in that will help prepare the team for the conditions in Cuba. We definitely need to set our home games in the colder months later at night to try and maximize the cold temperatures vs Panama and Cuba if possible.

Good blog on Cuban football- says that they beat Corinthians U-20 team 1-0 on the weekend. Looks like although they have used 4-1-4-1 from time-to-time, they also used this fairly offensive 4-1-2-2-1 formation vs Corinthians, which was also used more defensively as a 4-5-1 vs Brazilian club San Benito in a scoreless draw last week:

----------------------Roberto Linares-----------------

---Sánder Fernández ------------- Beto Gómez-------------

-------Ariel Martínez ------- Marcel Hernández -------------

----------------Jorge Luis Clavelo-------------------------

Colomé -- Fernández---Yenier Márquez -- Aliannis Urgellés

-------------------------Cooper (GK)----------------------

I guess we should expect a defensive 4-5-1, especially in the first half in Havana as they try to weather the storm and tire us out at the same time. Good tactic given the climate that Simeon and Occean typically play in. Really hope that we don't play a defensive 4-5-1 too or it could look like this classic match: http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/simpsons-explain-soccer/LX4RzIMfZsf03GZpqLs1Bw

In all honesty, I don't care how ugly it looks on camera, as long as we win, even 1-0.

http://futbol-cubano.blogspot.ca/

Thanks for the update. I'd be very surprised if we see anything other than 4-5-1 vs. 4-5-1. Canada will only change if they aren't winning by around the 70 minute mark.

Archived