of net beyond flying goalie.

56 min...PUR Jack McInerney GOAL...PUR Christhian Hernandez

from 35 yards feeds McInerney down middle and he shoots

15 yarder under sliding goalie.

65 min...TFCR Oscar Cordon GOAL...TFC Luis Boa Morte

holds off defender up middle and rolls ball forward

from 30 yards. Cordon shoots 20 yarder up middle into

low right side beyond diving goalie.

Final Score:.....Toronto FC Reserves.....3.....

Philadelphia Union Reserves......2.........

Attendance was about 300 on this hot evening taking

place just over half hour after the main MLS game ended.

About 200 stayed until the end of the game. Fans were

squeezed into the east stands.

I had the lineups as:

Toronto FC Reserves

...........................40 Quinlan Roberts

27 Richard Eckersley...31 Dicoy Williams...20 Ty Harden...38 Tyler Pasher

.....15 Matt Stinson...23 Terry Dunfield...33 Efrain Burgos Jr

.....18 Nick Soolsma...14 Danny Koevermans...35 Luis Boa Morte

Subs:...halftime...13 Keith Makubuya replaces 18 Nick Soolsma

...................16 Oscar Cordon replaces 27 Richard Eckersley

...................32 Jordan Hamilton replaces 14 Danny Koevermans

73 min...34 Chris Manella replaces 31 Dicoy Williams

75 min...36 Mario Orestano replaces 35 Luis Boa Morte

Philadlephia Union Reserves

....................88 Brian Rowe

.....5 Greg Jordan...15 Amobi Okugo...4 Christian Ibeagha

20 Jimmy McLaughlin...29 Antoine Hoppernot...31 Christhian Hernandez...19 Andreas Chronis

........12 Chandler Hoffman...9 Jack McInerney...17 Josue Martinez

Subs:...halftime...#16 replaces someone.

67 min...#22 replaces 17 Josue Martinez

unused sub...32 Chase Harrison as a spare goalie.

Tyler Pasher looked like the best defender on the line with

him being to only one I noticed who did not make a mistake.

Luis Boa Morte had a strong game from a strong man who couldn't

be knocked off the ball. He is a trialist from Portugal (and

an international for them until 2009) who last played for

Orlando Pirates in South Africa. He played in the midfield.

Danny Koevermans looked the poorest player on TFCR. He had

played from 61 minutes in the main game and scored the

winning goal at 87 minutes and probably had to run the gauntlet

of post game interviews. This must have been a let down for

him. I'd have rather seen one of the younger players get a

longer look.

Brian Rowe was the goaltender for PUR. He was the backup goaltender

for Toronto FC earlier this year from the MLS pool after the injury

to Stefan Frei until the club signed Quinlan Roberts from their

Academy roster. Frei could be seen on the sidelines at the MLS

game with crutches and still with his leg in a cast and a playoff

beard.

Best non-scoring chances were at 9 minutes the the TFCR goalie

made a save off PUR Jack McInerney and then two blocks

on PUR Antoine Hoppenot while down on the ground and

then was able to grabb the ball. 45 minutes had PUR Josue

Martinez crossed from the left over the box and a PUR player

crossed back and another player on the left post too bar over

to knock it in. 55 minutes had PUR McInerney take a cornerkick

from the left that drops in the box and PUR Christian Ibeagha

shot over the net from 10 yards.

Referee Justin Tasev kept the cards in his pocket rather than

take over the game except for one to each team. TFCR Terry

Dunfield earned one at 30 minutes for kicking the ball away

after the whistle for a foul by TFCR Oscar Cordon. PUR Amobi

Okugo earned one at 88 minutes for a tackle near the PUR right

cornerflag.

Without a huge crowd and the hawk taken off the roof of the west end,

the seagulls flew around. They were scared away by pinwheeled

fireworks (the kind that scream into the sky) and the hawk being

brought over to the east stand.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

It seems really strange and unprofessional to have Koevermanns play in both the first team and reserve team game on the same day. I think most European leagues forbid this. I guess the idea must have been to keep his 90 minute fitness up but it seems like a good way to get injured in my opinion.

Hopefully TFC dont make the mistake of signing some of the youngsters too early again. Cordon and company might have have been better served by playing NCAA for a year or two.

TFC definately need some type of pdl level league for extra games for players if the reserves don't play in CSL games.

Hopefully TFC dont make the mistake of signing some of the youngsters too early again. Cordon and company might have have been better served by playing NCAA for a year or two.

TFC definately need some type of pdl level league for extra games for players if the reserves don't play in CSL games.

I'm curious to see how the careers of players like Makabuya or even Cordon will turn out in the next year or so. Will one or both make a breakthrough or will they be eclipsed by other Academy products coming through the ranks? Based on what I saw in the preseason I could see Cordon being groomed more as a de Guzman type of player (and perhaps even a replacement) as opposed to being an attacking mid that many were hoping for.

I have noticed that the senior academy team has released a number of younger players that were on the roster and replaced them with older players currently attending Humber College, UofT, McMaster, York and the NCAA. There is also a TFC academy team that will be playing in the OSL this summer as well. I am more surprised now why Vukovic was let go from the academy and replaced by players his age or older from Canadian and American schools. Could this be a new direction for the academy?

I could be wrong but I don't think there are any americans or anyone over 18 in their academy. Right now the highest age group they have is U18. When Vukovic was released they claimed it was because he was over 18 and they had younger guys that they rated higher who they wanted to give his spot to. One them, Jordan Hamilton who is 16 played in the reserve match in the second half and created a pretty good chance thatended being offside.

I could be wrong but I don't think there are any americans or anyone over 18 in their academy. Right now the highest age group they have is U18. When Vukovic was released they claimed it was because he was over 18 and they had younger guys that they rated higher who they wanted to give his spot to. One them, Jordan Hamilton who is 16 played in the reserve match in the second half and created a pretty good chance thatended being offside.

Here is a link to the academy page: http://www.torontofc.ca/academy/teams/roster-senior. The NCAA players are Canadians attending American schools and range from 19 to over 20.

Checked out what Chalana was saying and it appears that a number of former Academy players have been brought back, a few of them in their early 20's:

http://www.torontofc.ca/academy/teams/roster-senior

James Stamatopolous, Daniel Di Biaggio and Satiri Varlokostas are all 91's i believe? CB's Skylar Thomas and Jordan Murrell are both 93's from Syracuse U.

edit: Chalana beat me by 3 minutes.

Gotta admit, not a bad idea to bring these guys back and give them much more PT then just a fall semester at school. They're all draft exempt as they've spent atleast 1 season with TFCA so TFC is justified in having an interest in their futures.

Was Kyle Bekker (Boston College) brought back? i don't see his name on that list. The NCAA prospects lists and rankings that I have come across, show his name along side of or ahead of of Emery Welshman. As far a the top Canadians that i have spotted

Was Kyle Bekker (Boston College) brought back? i don't see his name on that list. The NCAA prospects lists and rankings that I have come across, show his name along side of or ahead of of Emery Welshman. As far a the top Canadians that i have spotted

Kyle Bekker trained with TFC last summer, he was never part of the academy and therefore will not be draft exempt. ie. he'll be fair game.

However this brings up a loophole. I don't believe there are age limits for MLS academies at this point, so what is to stop a team from identifying a college player they think will be a top pick in a few years who wasn't part of any MLS team academy and offering him a chance to play in their academy team as an overage player for a couple of summers and accumulating enough hours that he qualifies as homegrown? You would think the rules would be a little more detailed than this:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2012-mls-roster-rules

(F) HOMEGROWN PLAYER SIGNINGS

A club may sign a player to his first professional contract without subjecting him to the MLS SuperDraft if the player has trained for at least one year in the club’s youth development program and has met the League’s Homegrown Player criteria. Players joining MLS through this mechanism are known as Homegrown Players.

There is no limit to the number of Homegrown Players a club may sign in a given year.

edit: Notice the part of the sentence "and has met the League’s Homegrown Player criteria". Pretty vague isn't it? I'm not the only one apparently who thought so!

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/mls-home-grown-rule-is-not-for-your-eyes_aid23763

"While Wheeler added, unsurprisingly, that the rules sent to MLS teams identify the requirements of the Home Grown deal in more specifics than the one on the MLS website.

Part of the particulars of the rule that is not addressed on the league website, but both Wheeler and Lagerwey discussed is the player identification lists. Each MLS team has a list for U23, U18, U16, and U14, which includes 18-20 players in each age group.

“You can put them on the list, but that is just a placeholder, and for the sake of clarity, to let everyone know that this kid is part of our program,” said Lagerwey. “But he is not eligible until he completes the training, which is effectively a year – the exact wording is 80 training days, which includes games, practices, and team functions.”

Archived