Canada v. China, Wed July 30 Moncton 8pm ADT

Vic

The same old thing. Long high balls and get the ball and run type team. When are we going to build some confidence to come out playing? I know our skills are suspect, but surely we can do better. Too much of a happy go lucky coach. When our big gun Sinclair does not manage a single shot on goal, except for a free kick and the goal, it is unbelievable. The only player I salvage from the whole lot is Chelsea Stewart.

This type of style by Canada is already prehistoric in the women's game and the continued use of it will see Canada slip further and further among the worlds strong teams.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The same old thing. Long high balls and get the ball and run type team. When are we going to build some confidence to come out playing? I know our skills are suspect, but surely we can do better. Too much of a happy go lucky coach. When our big gun Sinclair does not manage a single shot on goal, except for a free kick and the goal, it is unbelievable. The only player I salvage from the whole lot is Chelsea Stewart.

Not impressed with the game or quality of tactics that Herdmann had on display. Sinclair again is very very suspect on her ability to break open a game against skilled opponents.

Why can Herdmann go and find players who want to play a possession game and encourage the current talent pool to use ball skills and dri[ibble and attack the opponents. Find some more Matheson type players who play big.

Yes folks some who cant analyze a game like Sinclair but she is a one trick pony and not effective against top competition.

Sinclair is also the most recognizable Canadian soccer player female or male. She is the face of Canadian soccer and has accepted that role.

Every time she scores her profile goes higher. Like her or not she's become an institution.

Why can Herdmann go and find players who want to play a possession game and encourage the current talent pool to use ball skills and dri[ibble and attack the opponents.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I didn't get to see this match but I did see the line ups and subs and based on previous matches I've seen I'm not terribly inspired by the technical skills of too many of these players.

Run, run, run, run. Run, run, run, run. Run, run, run, run. Run, run, run, run. Run, run, run, run. Run, run, run, run. Run, run, run, run. Run, run, run, run. Run, run, run, run. Run, run, run, run. Run, run, run, run. Run, run, run, run.

The reason we attack without composure and intelligence is because the players heart rates are above a level they can perform internationally at. Our mids are gassed by the constant movement and as a result incapable of controlling the tempo and rhythm. It doesn't matter how good you are, you need recovery. You're most effective when you're recovered. Our mids rarely hit that point.

I heard something about our game plan being to run with Japan. Have you seen Japan? And our size? Really?

One game means little, especially when you are working on things. That said, two sets a pattern. It will be interesting to see our look and play in Utah next month.

Stewart's play was a really pleasant surprise. Scott had a good game too.

Sure a lot of back to front but you need to mix it in and the long service was pretty good at times. Loved the high clearances by the Chinese keeper.

There was usually a lot of traffic and tight spaces in the attacking third. Bélanger always worked well in those. Would have liked to see Filigno too.

The reason we attack without composure and intelligence is because the players heart rates are above a level they can perform internationally at. Our mids are gassed by the constant movement and as a result incapable of controlling the tempo and rhythm. It doesn't matter how good you are, you need recovery. You're most effective when you're recovered. Our mids rarely hit that point.

I don't understand what the above means.

We don't need to run, we need to lift our head and pass the bloody ball and move to space. Is that simple.

I don't understand what the above means.

We don't need to run, we need to lift our head and pass the bloody ball and move to space. Is that simple.

I think what Vic means is that every move the women were making last night was entirely frantic. There wasn't any time where they paused to decide what the smart play to make was, it was just constant scrambling. On emphasis on high tempo, constant movement isn't actually conducive to strategic play, and you could see the difference patience makes by the way China were able to frequently make cool, easy passes into space despite the expectation that we would destroy them.

If Parker doesn't have a deplorable first 45 in the final third I wonder if we're a bit more optimistic.

Not a great game. Sinclair was swarmed every time she had the ball because the other attacking options weren't earning China's respect; that'll happen when it's Christine Sinclair, but in those cases the Canadians need to do a better job of giving her support and making sure she has other options beyond beating an entire team by herself.

Matheson wasn't bad. I'll echo the Stewart praise. And obviously McLeod did the job.

I liked Squizz's comment that we looked great pre-Germany and it didn't work out too well. Better to get the reality check before than during.

We have a religious inclination to perfect shape. Chelsea just won the Champions League with it, but men's soccer is far more controlled. They spend the large majority of their time standing and recovering. Because of the nature of the women's game our players operate at a higher tempo.

If we picked 11 players to play a Japanese system we could do it fairly well. Smaller and lighter players with a high aerobic capacity and an adeptness and natural inclination at moving a ball. That's not our team though.

Herdman said a while back we need to have different looks for different teams and we need to have the ability to play different variations. It was refreshing to hear. But in men's soccer where the talent band is very thin and most players have the entire skill set that's far easier to do. In women's soccer where most of the players have considerably less complete games that's harder to pull off. Your options are much more limited.

The new gaffer is still learning the Canadian landscape (the players, the system etc). He still hasn't made his mark on this team. It's still Morace's and to a large part Pellerud's. Actually about 80% of Pellerud's camp in his last year of tenure. It will be interesting when the Olympics are over and Herdman gets past analysis and into creating his blueprint for 2015 and starting construction. That's what we hired him for.

Hopefully there is some excitement this summer, but I think that's more up to the players than John Herdman.

That was painful to watch. Our conditioning looked horrible which is surprising if one believes what Herdman, Sinclair and others have been saying about the training methods employed leading up to the match. Compared to the US, Japan, France and other soccer powers our girls really look 'thick' from the waist down. Totally agree with another poster regarding Herdman's demeanor. Smiling and acting jovial on the sideline when your team is playing like crap annoys the heck out of everyone most especially the paying customers. How do you expect any urgency from your players on th pitch when the head honcho is the most relaxed individual in the park. There ARE better players in the college ranks than what Herdman has out there. Players who have more technical ability than most of the ones out there. And when are we going to put some of these old timers out to pasture. Tancredi, Wilkinson, Zurrer and others are all way past their prime. Herdman has had enough time and camps to evaluate players and given past results and surely what is around the corner he may as well start the youth movement now.

That was painful to watch. Our conditioning looked horrible which is surprising if one believes what Herdman, Sinclair and others have been saying about the training methods employed leading up to the match. Compared to the US, Japan, France and other soccer powers our girls really look 'thick' from the waist down. Totally agree with another poster regarding Herdman's demeanor. Smiling and acting jovial on the sideline when your team is playing like crap annoys the heck out of everyone most especially the paying customers. How do you expect any urgency from your players on th pitch when the head honcho is the most relaxed individual in the park. There ARE better players in the college ranks than what Herdman has out there. Players who have more technical ability than most of the ones out there. And when are we going to put some of these old timers out to pasture. Tancredi, Wilkinson, Zurrer and others are all way past their prime. Herdman has had enough time and camps to evaluate players and given past results and surely what is around the corner he may as well start the youth movement now.

All very good points. The part about putting old timers out to pasture is something I had hoped to see when Morace took over, specially there was a move to submit lists of new players to her. But she continued with what the Norwegian Viking had left over, plus maybe a couple of player that had been left out. Now happy-go-lucky Herdman, is doing the same thing. The old timers are toasted and have no more juice and nothing new to show. Besides, you can't teach new tricks to an old dog (no pun intended). We need some good old fashion coaching. Forget all the gizmos, GPS, videos, etc. Follow Japan's development program of 5v5 with possession as aim.

One of the differences between women's soccer and men's from a supporters perspective is the respect. It doesn't have the savagery and personal attacks towards individual players of men's boards. Does it exist? Sure. Every now and then. But in general it's a slim fraction of the men's side. Part of that is because women are in general more respectful than men, the other part is their income level. It's more difficult to take a volunteer to task than someone who is well-paid. The way most people get around that is to talk in generalities than directly addressing individuals. Praise-wise it's wide open though. Everyone loves to name individual players directly for a job well done.

The Refs comment on the game was it was a poor display of technical skills - which it was. There were definitely players on the field who are quite weak in that area as well as players who are usually strong who struggled to perform and influence the game to their abilities. I still think that was because they were gassed (who knows, maybe wearing a transponder encourages you to run like Forrest Gump over what you can handle to score high and outperform everyone else). But other than comments directly on the game itself and our style of play his only other comments in the thread were saying it was a pity Sinclair and the players didn't have Voyageurs scarves and suggesting we send them.

You baited Posessionsoccerrules to name US college players who were better. All The Ref did was add one comment - if you are looking for US college players he's noticed we have eight in one school alone. He's not here pushing an agenda or anyone. He was just commenting on what he saw on the field. And for that you've pretty awkwardly criticised him.

Posessionsoccerrules is a different story though. Seven posts all pushing an agenda of better US college player(s). I included the singular in that sentence because they're likely pushing one person whether that be friend, relative or whatever. And regarding their comments, a good question is how does the best find in Canadian soccer come from the University of Manitoba? Clearly there's more to player development than meets the eye.

You baited Posessionsoccerrules to name US college players who were better. All The Ref did was add one comment - if you are looking for US college players he's noticed we have eight in one school alone. He's not here pushing an agenda or anyone. He was just commenting on what he saw on the field. And for that you've pretty awkwardly criticised him.
Sorry pal, but you playing the sympathy card for the Ref is laughable. He has posted semi libelous posts about the CSA since day one if you care to use the search function.

There's the old story about former NHL President John Ziegler commenting to Don Cherry about criticism the league received. "We don't mind if you call us stupid, but please don't say we lack integrity" It's comments like that that allege corruption and the Ref has done that ad nauseum ad infinitem (with no proof). Paul James has also said that it's laughable about the alleged NT politics. The talented player pool is too small to play the political game.

This isn't Ontario Soccer Talk where there is some secret handshake among the auld country U10 coaches who defame anybody who has made a career out of soccer in this country. Heaven forbid you go there and name a talent under 20 years old to bring to the attention of everybody so they can judge their talent themselves. Nooooo, can't have that. Have to keep everything secret so we can blame the OSA/CSA because I can't get a real soccer job.

Is anybody else out there as sick as I am about hearing of these zillions of players and coaches out there who are better than our NT but are not picked. And then when asked who, not once do we ever hear a name. By certain people constantly playing the "CSA politically corrupt" card they deflect attention away from someone who may have actually fallen through the cracks.

Part of our agenda here as fans I believe is to create awareness. We use our many eyes to bring players to the attention of those who make the decisions who don't have the resources to see everybody. Issey Nakajima Farran as an example.

Actually, once after constantly baiting a guy who constantly backtracked and wouldn't provide any names, he was humiliated into sending me a PM of coaches who were more deserving than Dale Mitchell. It consisted of three CSL coaches who had less professional coaching experience than Mitch and less official coaching certs. I posted that answer at Ontario Soccer Talk to make my point and of course it was promptly deleted.

If you're as sick as I am about these negative nellies who provide no evidence for their just for the sake of bitching posts, give a shout out. You know what's really sad? It's when I have to bitch about the bitchers, that's sad. :)

Can I get a witness? Amen?

More ranting. I can think of plenty of players who aren't in the active pool now without resorting to allegations of politics. Whatever happened to Aysha Jamani, Jodi Ann Robinson, Josee Belanger, Steph Labbe, Veronique Maranda. Is it politics or the fact that you can only have 11 people on the field at the same time? Are they injured, has their time come and gone or do they have to re-prove themselves like Zurrer.

I think Labbe is still in the picture.

I could bring up issues from your past and make this thread about them but that would be pretty rude and disrespectful to other readers.

You ASKED where are good Canadian players in US College. He answered that by saying there are eight Canadians in El Paso alone.

Woo. Big crime. Such a heinous mind.

Archived