May 19, 2012 W-League--Toronto Lady Lynx vs Rochester Ravens

Result of the W-League game between Toronto Lady Lynx and Rochester Ravens

played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 4:00pm.

43 min...TLL Cloe Lacasse GOAL...TLL Ashley Campbell takes hard low shot

from 25 yards that blocked by diving defender. Lacasse takes a low

20 yard shot from even with the left post and ball is into left side

of net.

63 min...TLL Noir Ghoneim GOAL...TLL Kinley McNicoll pushes ball forward

and RR goalie Jessica Sanderson at 15 yards blasts ball off Ghoneim.

Ghoneim has ball fall for her behind goalie and defender RR Caitlin

Pfeiffer and she shoots low 12 yard shot into middle of empty net.

Final Score:.....Toronto Lady Lynx.......2....Rochester Ravens.....0....

Attendance was about 150 on this hot late afternoon with a bright sun

in the west. The crowd was well over 50% American but had not much to

cheer for as the Lady Lynx had a great territorial edge throughout the

game. This was the third year in a row that the Lady Lynx opened up

their season with a home game against the Ravens.

Sabrina D'Angelo earned the shutout for the Lady Lynx and had to make

only a few stops. Both goalie's fumbled some crosses and shots but

the defenders were usually able to clear the rebounds or the shooters

rushed their second chances wide.

The substitution of of Noir Ghoneim for the Lady Lynx was very

'efficient' because she scored within two minutes of coming into

the game. She also had four shots after that trying to increase

her total. Her goal was crucial as although the Ravens had few

chances it only would take one good shot to tie. Two years ago

in their season opener the Ravens scored at 93 minutes to earn

a 1-1 tie. Last year's season opener had the Ravens win 2-1 so

this has been the Lady Lynx best start in three years.

Best non-scoring chances were at 34 minutes when TLL Cloe Lacasse

rushed on left and crossed from 25 yards that a defender partially

cleared. Lacasse regained the ball and shot a 12 yarder from the

left low and wide left. First minute of the second half had TLL

Ashley Campbell take a 15 yard shot that hit the bar. An RR

defender tried to clear the ball with a header from 6 yards out

of play on the left for a cornerkick but instead hit the bar in

almost exactly the same place and then the rebound was finally

cleared. 56 minutes had TLL Shannen Janudeen take a 25 yard shot

up the middle that had the flying goalie bat down on the left post

and the ball trickle wide for a cornerkick. 73 minutes had TLL

Shelina Zadorski chip a 30 yarder up the middle that the leaping

goalie catches over her head at 5 yards. 77 minutes had TLL

Maxine Murchie blast a 22 yard shot from the right just over the

bar.

Referee Alexis Vaughan only gave out two Yellow cards--one card

per team near the beginning of the second half to keep the game

well under control.

The Lady Lynx roster has almost completely changed from last

year's playoff qualifying team. I only recognized midfielder

Kinley McNicoll. Head coach Danny Stewart said after the game

there was a second player from last year's team. I asked if

all these new players were from the Lady Lynx youth teams but

Stewart said most had come from the NTC (National Training

Centre). Most are from the Greater Toronto Area but Stewart

said Cloe Lacasse (the first goal scorer) was from Sudbury

Ontario and goes to the school at (the University of) Iowa.

The Lady Lynx next game is a home game on (next) Sunday

May 27th at 1:00pm at Centennial Stadium against

Laval Comets.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

I don't know where the players you mention went. I didn't know about Hamilton picking up Lady Lynx from last year's team. I will

miss the Rage vs Lady Lynx game on June 3rd because the Canada vs USA men's international in Toronto was announced for the same day,

almost same time after the W-League schedule came out.

As always these capsules are fantastic. Based on your late afternoon, did the Ravens look as lower-pack as ever or did they show any sign of ability to disrupt for a playoff spot?

The LL dropped below the two Québécoise teams last year and lost a couple of key players this season. It will be interesting to see how the Comètes and Amiral roster up and how things play out this season.

Thanks again...

• 2 weeks later...

LOL....I also had heard the players would be playing down south at the Umbro....but figured until they were actually seen on a team roster I would wait for confirmation......now my daughter last year played down south in the W-League so she could keep her engineering course load a little more manageable and will be doing the same this summer but switched to the WPSL league.

I might get some flack...but I suggest the W-League stateside was a little more competitive south...at least in the east. Looking at some of the WPSL rosters with a heavy number of Div 1 players it might prove interesting how this league will prove out.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumour has it two CDN players who played for Ontario based W-League teams have not been cleared to play for the WPSL this year....one wonders if paperwork is slow through the W-League...LOL...yet 2 players who played W-League in the Atlantic Division had the paperwork completed expeditiously and are playing in the WPSL.

Well it seems the two W-League players who played againts each other last year have been cleared to play by their W-League teams and may play againts each other this season after-all in the WPSL. Just a shame the clearance from CDN based clubs seem to take a few extra days...weeks to be completed? The players after all have missed playing time waiting for the clearances.

Think I must be missing something. International clearances have always take longer to coordinate and dot the i's. Everything is like that. What is unique about this case?

perhaps I am missing something....as who or why it would take the extra time for clearance as the players were out of the OSA circle of influence as both players were registered W-League USL. Would this require the clearances to go through the CSA and OSA?

Last year 2 CDN players missed W-League opening as the paperwork did not get processed....and the following week the other CDN was cleared on the Monday....CSA----OSA---Peel Region---club.......where my daughter CSA---OSA---Durham Region---club was not?...Following up the request...it was efficiently sent by the first two....and was found sitting on a desk at the club...Thursday morning being a pain I badgered the paperwork to be sent from the club....It was there....just not yet being dealt with....

when it went to the district..where I called telling the individual it was on their fax machine…..I already had the OSA individual waiting for it to be forwarded....and I suspect she was good enough to call the district saying I was calling her...the individual at the OSA was very aware of the issues and sense of urgency of having the paper work processed...the OSA was very efficient and accommodating as she also had told the individual at the CSA told it was coming...and LOL..I would be following up the paperwork with a phone call....and in one day it went back to the US...and clearance the following day...

So why is the paperwork slow? If I understand it correctly the request only needed to go to the club in the W-League and back and then over to the WPSL?

Would it be unfair to suggest as the players did not return to the respective W-League teams they lacked a sense of urgency or required efficiency where the US based W-League teams were more accommodating?

But perhaps you have some knowledge of why it would take extra weeks to be approved?

two CDN players who played for Ontario based W-League teams have not been cleared to play for the WPSL this year....one wonders if paperwork is slow through the W-League...LOL...yet 2 players who played W-League in the Atlantic Division had the paperwork completed expeditiously and are playing in the WPSL

Not sure I understand exactly what the case is here.

Are you wondering why players who played in a foreign country and switched leagues can do that faster than others who need an international clearance? If that's the case they don't happen overnight and it's not just a form and a stamp, it's a more formal process and depending on the situation can take weeks or longer to work through. Not sure what the involvement of FIFA is.

as both players were registered W-League USL. Would this require the clearances to go through the CSA and OSA?

Yes I believe it would. Any interclub transfers outside Canada would require the CSA.

Would it be unfair to suggest as the players did not return to the respective W-League teams they lacked a sense of urgency or required efficiency where the US based W-League teams were more accommodating?

I would presume like most things in life the treatment they receive depends on the relationship they had with the teams.

I would presume like most things in life the treatment they receive depends on the relationship they had with the teams.

Interesting!!! That you allow or suggest acceptable something less than a professional manner of conducting business?

Archived