Blue Team Attendance announced at 60,138

Trillium

And the TV images seem to support that number, great crowd in Montreal today, putting them to the highest average in MLS to this point in year, I suspect Seattle will catch up by years end.

Now if we did a television count of bums in the seats where would the red team be ?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it just me or has this forum taken a dive in quality recently? Please, is any of this necessary?

1st part; No, I don't think so but then I really don't pay that much attention.

2nd part; Why not? 60,138. The numbers you should be concerned about are 2 and zero. Come on, THAT'S pretty funny.

And the TV images seem to support that number, great crowd in Montreal today, putting them to the highest average in MLS to this point in year, I suspect Seattle will catch up by years end.

Now if we did a television count of bums in the seats where would the red team be ?

Why turn a great moment in soccer in this country into more bull****?

Too bad Beckham fans outnumber Montreal fans. LOL@ Montreal fans wearing their Impact scarves cheering when Beckham scored.

In Toronto Beckham gets booed, but in Montreal he gets cheered.

This attendance record isn't something to be proud of when majority of people there were to see other team play in a league game.

So you think a comment on attendance at MLS games in Canada is Bull****, seriously when you get a city like Montreal drawing better then Red Bull New York and many other franchises using a big old stadia it is not bull**** in my opinion.

The announced attendance matched what was in the stands, and there has been lots of comment about how there is gap in Toronto between announced and actual bums in the seats so how is that a bull**** comment, indeed if you read the RedPatch boys forums

you will see even the RedPatch membership comments rather bluntly on the reality gap there.

Just because some posters have little ability to discuss relevant points that are sanquine to the thread does not make the thread bull**** and hey if you dont like the thread title you can opt to not read the thread.

In any case a big payday for Saputo, fans seeing a Beckham goal live, and a decent result from an expansion team against last years

MLS cup winner ....... where is the bull**** in that ?

Too bad Beckham fans outnumber Montreal fans. LOL@ Montreal fans wearing their Impact scarves cheering when Beckham scored.

This attendance record isn't something to be proud of when majority of people there were to see other team play in a league game.

Beckham was hired to attract fans................check

Montreal fans appreciate a classic goal..........check

Beckham gets booed every time he touched the ball........ CHECK (what stadium were you in?)

I guess you are suggesting this is a low point for soccer in Montreal.

Should Saputo have a press conference why explain how a full house was a disaster ( as you suggest) ?

So you think a comment on attendance at MLS games in Canada is Bull****, seriously when you get a city like Montreal drawing better then Red Bull New York and many other franchises using a big old stadia it is not bull**** in my opinion.

The announced attendance matched what was in the stands, and there has been lots of comment about how there is gap in Toronto between announced and actual bums in the seats so how is that a bull**** comment, indeed if you read the RedPatch boys forums

you will see even the RedPatch membership comments rather bluntly on the reality gap there.

Just because some posters have little ability to discuss relevant points that are sanquine to the thread does not make the thread bull**** and hey if you dont like the thread title you can opt to not read the thread.

In any case a big payday for Saputo, fans seeing a Beckham goal live, and a decent result from an expansion team against last years

MLS cup winner ....... where is the bull**** in that ?

Not entirely directed at you.

I am saying why turn a good moment into something divisive. Again and again on this board.

It's dead because of this.

My ears are still bleeding from the number shrieking girls in attendance at the opening Beckham game in TO.

Well, just who are the plastic fans?

- Is it the ones who commit to season ticket subscriptions in numbers of 14-16K from year one to year six? Or is it the ones who can barely get 7.5k in year one and at HALF THE PRICE of the former?

- is it the side that still has good support after six seasons? Or is it he side that gets sixty thousand out to see a supermarket magazine idol but has trouble getting 20k for other matches of year? Despite still being in the first year novelty hype mode.

- is it the side that can muster a travel support in the one thousands and over two thousand in distances of 500 and 700 kms? Or is it the side that, again in year one, cant get more than a handfull of individuals who have seen a few too many episodes of the Football factories at away matches?

- is it the fans who invest massively in team merchandized and show up to the games in team colours? Or, is it the side where you you take note of the fact when you actually notice someone wearing a team jersey at their local games?

Can we just cut all this shi!t out?

If we can find a way to get 60 000 people out to games in Vancouver, Edmonton and Toronto..... do that.

A great moment for soccer in this country? Well, OK... By your estimation, who were the best Canadian players on the pitch in this game?

A great moment for soccer in this country? Well, OK... By your estimation, who were the best Canadian players on the pitch in this game?

It was a great moment in Canadian soccer history because of what the fans did. 61 000 is a record for a professional game in this country and that garnered a lot of media attention from coast to coast. Add in the game itself had some intrigue with some rough play and a wonder strike from Becks and this has created a buzz in non-traditional soccer fans.

For sure I would like to see a lot more Canadians on the field. They will come.

One way they will come in the future? The desire to play in a stadium with 60 000 people watching!

This is just all round goodness for the game in the country.

It was a great moment in Canadian soccer history because of what the fans did. 61 000 is a record for a professional game in this country and that garnered a lot of media attention from coast to coast. Add in the game itself had some intrigue with some rough play and a wonder strike from Becks and this has created a buzz in non-traditional soccer fans.

That is very true. The fact that you can get that many people out for soccer game in canada is very impressive and encouraging. But one can do that without taking a dig at another canadian club ( which was the intent here of the thread starter). Look, Beckham gets a lot fans out for games, not just in montreal but everywhere around the league. There were 66k fans who went to see the game at the Meadowlands in year one. Of course that was the intent of the Beckham experiment, and it has worked throughout the league. Not just in montreal.

Getting Beckham into the league has brought hundreds of thousands into the stadiums accross North America who would have never been there otherwise. And of that group, there might be 1-5 % who came back or bought season tickets. So thats a good thing for the league. What i object to, is the suggestion by the treadstarter that this says something unique about the Montreal market as viable Soccer market. The jury is still out on that one. The viability or the degree of loyalty that exists amongst the fans in one town versus another is going to be determined by other things; Such as, how many people come out to see, say, Colorado on a bad weather day. Its not going to be determined by the fact that 30-40 thousand fan boys came out to see David Beckham.

Nice try, kid who wasn't there. Beckham was roundly booed every time he touched the ball and the one guy in my section who stood for him after he scored got a paper cup in the head. Of course among 60 000 people you have some who are there to see him. It would be the same in Toronto or anywhere else.

Interestingly enough, Warner had a mediocre game and Felipe got very tired in the last 30 minutes, both of which made it a mistake IMO not to have brought on Bernier.

Nice try, kid who wasn't there. Beckham was roundly booed every time he touched the ball and the one guy in my section who stood for him after he scored got a paper cup in the head. Of course among 60 000 people you have some who are there to see him. It would be the same in Toronto or anywhere else.

And it was. Loads of Beckham crap at BMO the first two years. If the stadium was bigger, there would have been more.

The best part of the first Becks game (he didn't play) was the Landon Donovan song. They cut the feed to EPSN in the states.

The second year was funny, when Beckham (or was it third he played?) was warming up, this guy starts hurling the longest string of screaming tirade insults I have ever heard. Beckham was almost on his knees he was laughing so hard. Came over and shook the guys hand before going in the dressing room.

That is very true. The fact that you can get that many people out for soccer game in canada is very impressive and encouraging. But one can do that without taking a dig at another canadian club ( which was the intent here of the thread starter). Look, Beckham gets a lot fans out for games, not just in montreal but everywhere around the league. There were 66k fans who went to see the game at the Meadowlands in year one. Of course that was the intent of the Beckham experiment, and it has worked throughout the league. Not just in montreal.

Your right Becks draws....

47,658 fans at Rogers Centre TFC venrsus Beckam and Galaxy 2012

60,838 fans at Olympic Stadium Montreal versus Beckam and Galaxy.

Attendance advantage to Montreal.

Getting Beckham into the league has brought hundreds of thousands into the stadiums accross North America who would have never been there otherwise. And of that group, there might be 1-5 % who came back or bought season tickets. So thats a good thing for the league. What i object to, is the suggestion by the treadstarter that this says something unique about the Montreal market as viable Soccer market.

Below is the original posting, not sure how you get I was saying Montreal is unique in fact I say

Seattle will overcome Monrtreal by years end on average attendance.

Blue Team Attendance announced at 60,138

The jury is still out on that one. The viability or the degree of loyalty that exists amongst the fans in one town versus another is going to be determined by other things;

Such as, how many people come out to see, say, Colorado on a bad weather day. Its not going to be determined by the fact that 30-40 thousand fan boys came out to see David Beckham.

18500 TFC versus Santos Laguna March 2012

55751 Montreal versus Santo Laguna Feb 2009

58,912 Montreal versus Chicago Fire March 17 2012*

at the time the eigth largest game attendance in MLS history.

So for comparable games Montreal has drawn more numbers then TFC, its possible the TFC gate revenue was more but that cant be confirmed.

And just for historical perspective 58,542 Montreal Manic

against Chicago September 1981 in a playoff game.

Below is the original posting, not sure how you get I was saying Montreal is unique in fact I say

So for comparable games Montreal has drawn more numbers then TFC, its possible the TFC gate revenue was more but that cant be confirmed.

I sure hope that, and cross my fingers that, what has happened to TFC doesn't happen to Montreal or Vancouver.

I don't think it will.

It's been shown we can get the numbers out in any of these cities if the circumstances are there and it's handled right.

Nothing against the Montreal numbers, those are great to see anywhere in Canada, but Trillium you're so damned transparent.

1. Your first "comparison" is silly because the Big O holds far more than Rogers Centre does nowadays. That's also not to mention the fact that Toronto has seen Beckham live a handful of times already, and that TFC actually sold 35,000+ without the guarantee of Becks' presence (he re-signed with the Galaxy after MLS training camp had already started).

2. For the Santos Laguna "comparisons", you're conveniently omitting the fact that Montreal had an entire winter to sell 55k+ *indoors* at the Big O, while Toronto had only two weeks to sell 18,500 *outdoors* at BMO Field.

3. Again, the Chicago Fire game was the first MLS match in Montreal's history. If Toronto played their first game in history at Rogers Centre, it would have been sold out, as well.

So yes, be proud of the numbers, they are fantastic. But don't go parading them as some sort of symbol of one market's superiority over another using skewed comparisons to back up your claims.

Just be happy that soccer is bringing out large numbers in the three biggest cities in the country, FFS!

Archived