[TD=class: contentheading]TSS Academy Takes Legal Action Against BC Soccer[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: contentpaneopen, width: 497]

[TR]

[TD=class: createdate, colspan: 2]Friday, 11 May 2012[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]This is to inform our membership that on May 10, 2012 TSS Academy along with its parent company, Sportstown BC Holdings Ltd, issued the British Columbia Soccer Association (BCSA) with a Notice of Civil Claim.

Con'td

http://tssacademy.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=168&Itemid=34

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Notice of Civil Claim is here

http://tssacademy.com/docs/bcsa-claim-may10-2012.pdf

I am wanting to make fun of the remark in the document where they call themselves "elite" training.....not because they are or aren't elite training. Just, you know, the lack of humility in describing themselves that way! :) (Just kidding around there! Colin and his staff have always been very accessible and easy/pleasurab;e to deal with). In all seriousness, this is amazing stuff and I will watch it closely.

I truly hope this will benefit the players in this province via the decision made by the Honorable judge whatever that may be.

This lawsuit reveals BC Soccer as an organization running a conspiracy to dispose of private academies who happen to do a better job with soccer development. I would not be surprised when more stuff begins to surface. Will the Courts issue a temporary injunction?

one of these days, we will look back at something like this and say to ourselves "remember the old days, when our provincial associations actively tried to deny membership to organizations who were actually committed to meeting high standards, who were committed to developing high quality athletes and who only employed qualified coaches?" change is the only constant....soccer governing bodies need to embrace that motto.

We must end the practice of trying to protect one's "turf" because it gets in the way of developing the game of soccer. Competition is a good thing. Set standards, enforce them and then allow those that meet the standards be members. It is not that complicated

one of these days, we will look back at something like this and say to ourselves "remember the old days, when our provincial associations actively tried to deny membership to organizations who were actually committed to meeting high standards, who were committed to developing high quality athletes and who only employed qualified coaches?" change is the only constant....soccer governing bodies need to embrace that motto.

We must end the practice of trying to protect one's "turf" because it gets in the way of developing the game of soccer. Competition is a good thing. Set standards, enforce them and then allow those that meet the standards be members. It is not that complicated

As usual well said VPjr. Agree that change is the only constant, but time is a component of that constant. Another 100 years may pass. Pity I will be long gone by then.

Well stated about the "turf". I've seen it happen time and time again over the decades and sadly it's one of the reasons I gave up on volunteering here in BC 4 years ago. Doesn't matter where you are in the system, the trickle down BS runs it and gets mirrored at pretty much all levels. I've seen, all sorts of turf battle BS and there is really nothing not untouched out there in the sport.

In the last 8 years the transition to commercializing the club structures of youth clubs seems to have made turf battles worse. The lack of caring and direction from the top on this has let the strong political and financed clubs get stronger against their rivals. The BCHPL was a classical example of no outsiders allowed. Even if you were a private business or millionaire and wanted to get a franchise you couldn't due to the "turf" types.

The product in new packaging was geared for only the insiders of the big clubs, clubs that could do jv's intra or inter district. The future of that decision will make it very hard if at all for the BCHPL to become a no player pay league like the BCJHL they compare themselves to. The conflict of interest of the same people in amateur clubs that are NPOs running basically commercial clubs and academies that are tied or owners of the BCHPL which needs to be fully commercialized. They offer very little change to the system. other than the same product with a different packaging by the "turf" types. Types that have put themselves 1st before the game and kids for decades IMO

Doubt they will win....

1. The TSS dont understand FIFA academy statements rules which are about protecting vunerable youth from trafficking.

2. To play in out of country league you need CSA approval, there is no indication the TSS folks filed a appeal to CSA on the decsion, remember TSS claims they adhere to the BC policies i.e. CSA and FIFA policies so a no win argument.

3. If TSS wanted to start a club in Washington state they could, and they could register Canadian players if the club operates within 30 milies of the Border. So start a club in point Roberts and play in USA.

Re: #2 - TSS has been playing in tournaments in USA as recent as last year and I know they are again registered in at least one American tournament this year.

#3 is very interesting....really?

@CoachRich: Can you clarify the following?

-"clubs that could do jv's intra or inter district." What is a JV intra or Inter District??

-"for the BCHPL to become a no player pay league like the BCJHL they compare themselves to." That's very interesting. I'm around "but not in" the BCSPL and have never heard anyone make that comparison verbally or in writing. I assume by BCJHL you actually mean the BCHL? http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/front_pagebchl.cfm?clientID=1413&leagueID=2393? Just a note - it is BCSPL not BCHPL. :)

Now I am going to challenge you CoachRich. You say you quit volunteering 4 years ago because of administration? The only people you hurt by doing that....ARE THE KIDS. Get back in the game and just enjoy yourself and try to make it the best possible situation you can for the kids.

I remember years ago my daughter was on a TSS U12 team booked into a tournament in Washington state. With the first game Friday night, we were stuck waiting in Vancouver till the very last minute Friday afternoon before BCSA would send their @#$! permit. Completely childish. This appeared to be a regular occurrence back then and I guess its continued. It's too bad we can't all keep our eye on the big prize...

TSS traveling to USA and being sanctioned to participate with BCSA youth members -

It seems the BCSA feels the CSA has off loaded the traveling policy to them unless a team travel outside of Canad and the USA.

BCSA Travel Policy - http://bcsoccer.net/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Mws9PWLLX2w%3d&tabid=186

Yet in the BCSA Rules and Regs Rule 5 Player Registration and Rule 16 reference the CSA regarding "Matches with teams of a Foreign Association" -

http://www.bcsoccer.net/Portals/0/documentsforupload/2011BCSoccerRules&Regulations- Revised February 23 - 2012.pdf

Where Members feel they have certain rights that TSS does not is that players are reg'ed through their youth members (clubs/team/district/bcsa). TSS can't reg players with BCSA as they are not a member. The funny part of this is TSS players who play in adult leagues are reg'ed with BCSA as adult players via a adult team/adult league/bcsa. There is no require as I know of that adult teams must belong to a club. TSS has several adults teams that play in the PCSL and at least 1 team that plays in the MWSL

As these TSS youth players are reg'ed with their youth clubs even though they are traveling to the USA with TSS, the youth players fall under BCSA policy. Thus if TSS doesn't fullfuil the travel policy and are not sanctioned by BCSA to travel and play other teams under the so called FIFA umbrella, the youth players could face discipline. Much like ASA, the big stick is out there.

TSS has a Christmas tournament. To let youth players of clubs/team/district/bcsa participate, TSS has to get a BCSA Tournament Permit so those reg'ed players of BCSA can go to the tournament. I use to look after this when I was on the league board prior to the new name BCCGSL as there were a lot of girls teams that went.

Historically TSS has always had a tough time getting permits and sanctions for their players in their programs. Clubs/Districts/BCSA didn't go out of their way for the kids that's for sure.

How BCSA maintains control is done through Rule 5 - Player Registration and Rule 14 - Sanction and Control of Leages.

Start a USA team -

This could not happen as BCSA controls all their reg'ed players in their sanctioned events through Rule 5 and 14

http://www.bcsoccer.net/Portals/0/documentsforupload/2011BCSoccerRules&Regulations- Revised February 23 - 2012.pdf

Jargon

JV = Joint Venture

Intra = inside District

Inter = between Districts

BCHPL & BCJHL = I'm dating my age ;)

Comparison to "BCHL" and other "provincial platforms in other sports"

“The BC Soccer Premier League will have a tremendous reach and local presence built on the infrastructure of the founding franchises and will be right up there with the leading provincial platforms in other sports,” noted BC Soccer executive director Bjorn Osieck of North Vancouver, BC. “As an example, in our inaugural year, the league will cover 12 of 16 BCHL markets and four of the six markets synonymous with the WHL’s BC Division.”

http://club.whitecapsfc.com/youth/generalinfo/news/youthnews02171101.aspx

Challenge

Thanks and you aren't the 1st nor will you be the last. Bottomline is I got tired of all the politics, backroom deals, what conflict of interest, bs, swearing, bullying and etc. I went the extra mile always for the sport and kids/adults/families. Sadly one can bang their head against the wall for so long when people in the pryamid make players and the sport #2 on their list.

Coach Rich said... Start a USA team -

This could not happen as BCSA controls all their reg'ed players in their sanctioned events through Rule 5 and 14

http://www.bcsoccer.net/Portals/0/do... 23 - 2012.pdf

The important point is the word their..... as in registered to BCSA.

If TSS is recruiting players who belong to other clubs to go to tournaments etc. its no wonder they have trouble getting permits, and indeed releases from the club the player is registered too. If TSS wants to play in a US league start a US club and have players sign to play, if the player is a BC player they need a release from their present club, then to fulfill the rules to play in USA.

I have to say the folks running so called Academys in BC and Ontario could all just start a club and do what they want in the rules but they seem to be hooked on the magic of an Academy .... silly in my opinion.

One key factor seems to be that youth players who have some above average talent and want to be developed through private academies that offer better programs and technical staff so at the end these players are able to compete successfully for a place in provincial teams and even national teams. This path has always run into problems with BC Soccer who wants complete and undisputed monopoly of youth players in all districts of B.C. I see this as denying freedom of choice by the players.

@CoachRich - thank you for the lengthy response. Maybe my mind is mush after this morning's EPL drama, but I am still not sure how the TSS is entering American tournaments even this year yet using that as part of their lawsuit against BCSA stating they aren't being permitted to do so? Is Washington State allowing them to enter without BCSA permission?

re: Jargon - THANKS!

Re: BCJHL and the Osieck quote - THANKS!

Re: The Challenge - sounds like you were involved with the wrong club. If yer a good soccer guy I know club that will accept you with open arms and definitely puts players first, even when surrounded by regional "partners" that maybe aren't always wanting to be partners. :)

@Trillium - if these academies were to start "clubs" in the sense of other clubs that are fully registered members in BCSA I believe they can't be "for profit"??? Maybe you can clarify?
Vancouver Whitecaps.... for profit club, unless the BC soccer associaiton says all clubs must be not for profit ( and if the BC SA says that ... that is the suit TSS should file ) clubs can be incorporated as they wish in Ontario, and I suspect can be in any province in Canada. Amateur does not mean not for profit, hence you have Junior hockey in Canada.... run as a business.

TSS and any academy should apply to be a club with an incorporated corporation that is owned by the shareholders, not for profit only gives community clubs a way to not pay tax on the money they have in reserves, they pay .... payroll tax and HST etc and property tax etc.

TSS could become a member of BCSA but they'd have a hard time with fielding teams at times though. They could provide individual programs and training as they do now, but if they become a member and wanted to enter a team into Metro-Select, for example, they'd not only have to prove why they deserve the district allocation ahead of Richmond SA but they'd also be limited to 5 out-of-district players. The same of course would apply to if they wanted to put teams in lower levels. BCSPL is a non-starter. There won't be any franchise additions anytime soon.

So I guess my point is they want to be a member, but I assume not generally have teams playing in leagues unless the vast majority of age-appropriate players available for said team are from Richmond. But I think what they want is the ability to simply enter tournaments, create a league such as Apex Soccer League, and go to tournaments abroad without the hassle and roadblocks that other academies face?

That's my understanding.

TSS could become a member of BCSA but they'd have a hard time with fielding teams at times though. They could provide individual programs and training as they do now, but if they become a member and wanted to enter a team into Metro-Select, for example, they'd not only have to prove why they deserve the district allocation ahead of Richmond SA but they'd also be limited to 5 out-of-district players. The same of course would apply to if they wanted to put teams in lower levels. BCSPL is a non-starter. There won't be any franchise additions anytime soon.

So I guess my point is they want to be a member, but I assume not generally have teams playing in leagues unless the vast majority of age-appropriate players available for said team are from Richmond. But I think what they want is the ability to simply enter tournaments, create a league such as Apex Soccer League, and go to tournaments abroad without the hassle and roadblocks that other academies face?

That's my understanding.

So BC soccer rightly or wrongly has a set of rules including residency ( think FIFA has the same for National teams but its citizenship ), and one operator who does training wants to form teams ( of already registered players on other clubs ) to take the kids on tour or to tournaments etc. on a for profit basis, to show how good his training is and charge parents a premium fee for his travel agency services ?

Have I got it about right ?

If you want to be a member you follow the rules, if you dont like the rules change them by votes at AGMs, an Academy to operate as FIFA

envisions what Academys are does training and brings individual players to professional clubs and sells them, that is not the business model being pursued in Canada by so called Academys.

The model is sell a service individual training for elite players who already excel and improve them by having them train with like dedicated players, no problem up to this point, where Academys get into problems is the clients the players family says... um well how does he get a scholarship or a pro job at Manchester United, how do we go play games and show we are best, and thats when the Academy tries to start a league with other academys ...but then you need referees they only referee sanctioned events your not sanctioned opps this is not fair so the Academy demands access to referees but does not develop or train them.

On and on it goes as the parents want more or go back to clubs cause they play in leagues etc. the Academy program has a tougher time to

sell its model in the market when clubs upgrade coaching etc.

Remember an Academy is only as good as its coaches, most are run by one guy who uses a bunch of players he trained in the past to do his training ..... no problem but its not a sustainable model if you pay to be coached by ex star of world cup and turn up week after week to be cocached by the a coach who only played BC premier league you might eventually get upset and go back to a club.

But i think the CSA has blown this Academy thing from day one,and never figured out how to explain to FIFA that the rules dont really apply here as they do in Ghana or Nigera.

In those countrys you would be hard pressed to find any youth players being registered, only pros, here the model is different. CSA has never explained that to the gnomes in Switzerland.

“Time for Change”: Topic 2: 14 Reasons Why Soccer in BC Resembles Fascism

Life as a Female Soccer Player

CIARA MCCORMACK

May 12, 2012

For those of you that haven’t heard, TSS just filed a lawsuit against BC Soccer. It details BC Soccer’s actions over the years that have hurt both the growth of soccer in our province, and how their actions have gone against the mandate of what their organization is supposed to stand for.

For those interested in getting a better idea of the goings on behind the soccer scene in BC can read TSS’ writ: here

Aka the above is a legal backing in which to stand my soapbox. In all seriousness, because of the choices that BC Soccer has made to sell out the integrity of their position in the system, they no longer are the neutral governing body that our sport in BC/Canada so desperately needs. They’ve instead chosen to use their authority over the sport, to further their own interests, and the interests of those for-profit groups that they’ve chosen to tie themselves into. One only needs to scan through the TSS writ to see examples of how those that they see as threats to their absolute control, have been persecuted.

cont'd

Trillium -

Basically administration wise the Alberta, Yukon/Territories, Washington, Oregon are all papered similar as the BCSA when it comes to teams traveling and where the players live in a certain geographical area. So the TSS create a USA team for a USA tournament is moot.

TSS being an academy offers additional training for like minded and financed players/families. They don't run team programs in competition with the NPO clubs at the youth levels. They compete in the adult programs against the NPO clubs...go figure. What TSS is great at is offering additional training over and above the NPO clubs.

It's quite common for TSS to train some of the top players in Metro Vancouver. Players that go on to the NCAA or CIS or Caps. I've know players who played Metro for NSGSC and after their practice or off days of their club program they would train at TSS. Most of those families lived in their cars to see their kids get the best and most training

One of the key issues in the NPO clubs is there isn't the expertise and money to pay coaches to run their teams more than 2 nites on the field and maybe a nite of fitness on top of their games. Also, TSS draws players of a similar calibre level together who want a certain player development pool and can afford it.

For profit academies have their place in soccer. The academies in Toronto don't seem to have the problem that TSS has in BC. As far as I understand it the academies in TO have their own league amongst themselves. - http://www.academysoccer.ca/ Further one of the pathways of development in the USSF is solely for academies. Also, other sports have academies as well and they all seem to get along with their NPO's. Why BCSA and their members have issues IMO has all to do with market share in a controlled anti-competitive player play sport.

@Trillium - I imagine if TSS became a member and then associated with Richmond, where they are based, they'd then sign players full-time when parents indicated the willingness. Those players would train, play exhibition games, and go to tournaments. If enough were Richmond-based you might see them enter a youth league be it Division 3 or all the way up to Metro-Select (plus the odd OOD player)....I don't imagine they'd generally still be "take"(ing) kids from other clubs for tournaments. They'd probably look to solidify their income/financials by having players committed fully to their program - at least that's what I'd do. I am sure they'd still have kids who are registered with other clubs (why not?) though just as any team/club in GVRD does.

@CoachRich: If there were enough academies you might see such a league here. Who knows, maybe in 10 years there'll be enough. The issue with this being .... are "the best playing with the best?" You don't want either league watered down.....

http://the11.ca/2012/05/15/richmond-based-club-asks-for-court-injunction-to-stop-bcsa-whitecaps-deal/

The very last sentence in this report is what I was basically referring to. Appears they simply want to be able to offer pathways and opportunities for their customers. Entering Puget Sound Premier League would allow them to create more teams because the out-of-district rule wouldn't apply.

Thiku, I saw that and it's a huge argument as to why can't TSS BC based academy teams with BC players play in other leagues. Or like the Apex League start their own BC leagues with other academies, clubs and schools.

The interdependence of the PSO and academies doesn't seem to be a problem in OSA either as the http://www.academysoccer.ca are OSA members and run their own leagues and etc. 1/4 of the USSF soccer development is from academies who which were brought directly under the USSF and formed as the US Development Academy. There are some 78 clubs in the US in this academy. For some reason the BCSA and it's members can see that.

IMO and this was my beef with the HPL, is that anyone should be able to be a part of the development pyramid provided they offer a service members are willing to pay for or have a business where the player doesn't pay as the business has deep pockets. In both cases the consumer shouldn't be told to where they have to spend their money which is the case with having district boundaries. In TSS's case there is no reason other than BCSA not letting them, why TSS can't grow their business into a club where they have various franchises whether it's PCSL, USL, PDL and etc. They after all are a busy but they need to be able to take steps to develop their structure just like the Caps have down over the decades.

Archived