2012 CONCACAF Women's U-17 Championship

Watching these U17 games on concacaf.tv and seeing totally empty stadium in Guatemala, I wonder why would a country want to host a tournament when nobody shows up and hence I assume there is no revenue from public attendance.

• 2 weeks later...

Our National Women team U17 finished second behind the U.S. in the Concacaf qualifiers for the U17 World Cup. Canada was the defending champion but the U.S. beat us 1-0 in the final. The third country qualified was Mexico under the direction of the old fox, Leonardo Cuellar. The U.S. team plays very effective soccer and shows a good coach behind them.

“We knew it was going to be a very difficult game going into it,” U.S. U-17 Women’s National Team head coach Albertin Montoya said. “That’s a credit to both teams. Canada threw everything at us, but we defended very well. I thought we were the better team in the first half, but in the second half Canada really came at us and it’s a credit to our backs who made the plays when they needed to.”

It's not often an American team is outshot. A pretty exceptional result given our 10% player/gene pool and funding. We are out-performing US Soccer at identifying and grooming young prodigies.

Sounds like Mexico is getting better at U17 too which is great for CONCACAF.

Archived