Première Ligue de soccer du Québec

Juby

I don't really have much new information but I was hoping to put together a thread were we could compile the english articles and translate some french ones.

For example, there's a french wikipedia article but no english one yet so maybe someone could summarize?

Also, the site for the league (http://www.premiereliguedesoccerduquebec.ca/) has an english option but I don't think it's ready yet. There might actually be highlights on the site but I couldn't get the video to work? Also, ROCCO PLACENTINO is another guy playing in the league with Grande and Riberio!

edit: If anyone can get a match video I'm always willing to make a token video of pretty much anything Canadian.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I'm pulling for FC Boisbriand. The only club to forgo a soccer ball in their shield.

I probably would have cheered for Gatineau had they been in (I'm originally from the Ottawa area) so I'm farly neutral, that said, from a neutral perspective, that game in the link looked pretty damn good! You'll see familiar faces, a good game, looks like a good crowd. After about 3 and half minutes it's interviews en francais. I'm honestly very enthused/impressed to see things coming together at quality level in Quebec.

Was there not supposed to be a team from Gatineau.

I think so, and they might be doing friendlies against them later on IIRC. There was something about municipal approval months ago, maybe their entry has just been delayed but it was probably fairly practical for the league to start out fairly local to the Montreal area (and hopefully be stable enough to stretch to Quebec and Gatineau).

NASL level might be a stretch, but those teams look to be at least the level of the top CSL clubs.

Just noticed there are only 5 teams in the league, guessing they'll eventually add more as they do along. (Might also explain why the level is high? Are these guys getting paid ie. is it semi-pro or Sr. amateur?)

double edit: All 5 teams are in the greater Montreal area, so they're pulling from a pop. of millions. Good stuff. If they can add Gatineau and T-R as some are suggesting they could be on their way to a solid 8-10 team league.

^yes, the league expects to expand...I'd suggest a top number @ 8 which may include T-R attack???

Question: Apologies if brought up already - how long, if ever, until we see 1 or 2 Maritimes teams join do you all believe? I suggest a QC league is about the only proper option for a maritimes team(s)....1 or 2 that are able/willing to travel.

NASL level might be a stretch, but those teams look to be at least the level of the top CSL clubs.

Just noticed there are only 5 teams in the league, guessing they'll eventually add more as they do along. (Might also explain why the level is high? Are these guys getting paid ie. is it semi-pro or Sr. amateur?)

double edit: All 5 teams are in the greater Montreal area, so they're pulling from a pop. of millions. Good stuff. If they can add Gatineau and T-R as some are suggesting they could be on their way to a solid 8-10 team league.

It is semi pro, the détails can be found somewhere. Il try to post them soon

Question: Apologies if brought up already - how long, if ever, until we see 1 or 2 Maritimes teams join do you all believe? I suggest a QC league is about the only proper option for a maritimes team(s)....1 or 2 that are able/willing to travel.

I've always wondered about that too, as we all know the QMJHL teams managed to expand into the Maritimes, but the QMJHL probably isn't a perfectly parallel example. Maybe your right though, when if it expands a bit, adding a couple markets out east might help get strong teams in Halifax and Saint Johns. However, part of me suspects they could operate a slightly weaker 6 team division between the NB, PEI and NS (hard to say what might be best) and this option would put less travel pressure on Quebec. Sorry, this would probably be better in a different thread.

^yes, the league expects to expand...I'd suggest a top number @ 8 which may include T-R attack???

I know a Maritime League has been tried before, but the biggest issue has always been traveling. Nova scotia tried to bring in New Brunswick teams, and currently New Brunswick SL has a team from PEI. BUT, I don't think semi-pro teams can really travel to Montreal for a weekend game. *This is all from the perspective of a former NBer living in BC...maybe someone else can give you more up to date info.

mind explaining? btw I don't think anyone would expect a maritimes division to be as high a level as Ontario or Quebec, also, were all generally excluding NFLD for now. On paper, Halifax, Moncton, Saint John's, Fredriction and Charlottetown are all relatively close with decentish populations.

TBH though were getting off topic, this stuff should go in the rethink d-3 thread.

i don't see why a 6 or 7 team league could not work in the maritimes. 2 teams in Halifax, 1 in Moncton, Saint John's, Fredericton, and Charlottetown...perhaps another one in Nova Scotia. That should generate fan interest and improve the level of play. Problem with what they tried before was too many teams and little fan support.

The french Wikipedia article for the league is well done, how hard would it be to add it to the english Wikipedia? I've never attempted to create an entirely new article.

Agreed. I'm real interested in finding out more about this league. Alas, there is almost no English source of information about it. Have a friend who actually plays in this league, will have to ask him about the details regarding this new Quebec league...

Agreed. I'm real interested in finding out more about this league. Alas, there is almost no English source of information about it. Have a friend who actually plays in this league, will have to ask him about the details regarding this new Quebec league...

If you use Google chrome as your webbrowser it has a setting that automatically translates French language websites (and many other langauges as well) into English.

If you use Google chrome as your webbrowser it has a setting that automatically translates French language websites (and many other langauges as well) into English.

relying on google translate is folly. It can be helpful but for official purposes it can also be useless, for example, google translate can often confuse a sentence for it's opposite. You might be able to get the jist of many articles but your not doing accurate translations.

Google translate is not a legitimate source for translating (more like a sneak peek for the impatient), it's pretty much just unscholarly to call a computer user over a native speaker of a language. Unless we get someone legitmately bilingual, it's not really 'translating', it's like using MS excel...with words.

i don't see why a 6 or 7 team league could not work in the maritimes. 2 teams in Halifax, 1 in Moncton, Saint John's, Fredericton, and Charlottetown...perhaps another one in Nova Scotia. That should generate fan interest and improve the level of play. Problem with what they tried before was too many teams and little fan support.

Off Topic: Should I even bring up the St. John's / Saint John thing? :/ One is in NFLD, the other NB :D

Archived