Adrian Mutu Montreal Impact?

Moldy9

http://www.nineoclock.ro/adrian-mutu-gets-usd-4-5-m-offer-from-canada/#hide

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/montreal-impact-face-vasco-da-gama-competition-adrian-mutu-3074091

So, the few times I've been posting on the IMFC FB page that they should get Mutu because he is a proven goal scorer that's still young, handsome, marketable, and his team Cesena will be relegated has come to someone in the front office's attention (at least I'd like to think ;) ). IMFC was reported to have offered him $4.5 million USD, of that, $1.5 is just for signing and $50,000 each game he plays. Apparently Vasco da Gama wants him too.

Mutu is one of the best Romanian footballers of all time. Definitely one of the most skilled. I'd like to know what other Impact fans have to say about this. Yes, he's a bit of a controversial figure given his history. I'm hoping maturity (having 2 kids, second marriage) and his need to pay his debt to Chelsea would prevent any future incident.

Now that Vasco da Gama are in the bid for his services what would you think the Impact's chances are of signing him? I've debated the whole topic with a friend of mine and I'd like to know what others think.

I know for a fact that he has a residence in Florida, so he certainly is accustomed to North America. He is also friends with Montreal boxer (romainian descent) Lucian Bute, so that might influence his decision. Ultimately, it becomes does he take the fat MLS contract now, or wait a few years to end his career in MLS.

He owes Chelsea Football club £14 million, so I guess the money must be attractive to him. I would take him in a heartbeat, cause he is exactley what IMFC need. Here is a player that is capeable of engineering goals by himself. He is a skillfull finisher, and would certainly be one of the top scorers in MLS.

Like everyone else, I just hope he's made positive changes to his life, and will come here fully committed

to helping the club on and off the pitch.

I also wonder who else might IMFC be able to attract with that type of money?

Good points. I think these are reasons why/reason why not he'd choose Montreal and reasons why/why not he'd choose Rio. My opinion is a little subjective.

Montreal WHY: $4.5 million USD, $4.5m that will be honored by the Impact (job security/trust), 40,000 Romanian ex-pats living in Montreal, history of Romanian athletes in Montreal: Comaneci, Dorin, Bute, Bute is friends with Mutu and can probably keep him on the right path, nice city with great restaurants, fashion, festivals and nightlife, proximity - he could still play for Romania (not too long of a flight), safer environment for his family, he'll be the "superstar" of the team (should fit his ego well) and will be very marketable, gets to play with Italians like (ex teamate) Ferrari and Corradi., plays in a league where there are other ex Euro calibre stars (Henry, Beckham, Keane etc)

Montreal WHY NOT: freakin cold winters (you stated home in Florida though), 40,000 Romanians (apparently some of them robbed him in Italy), MLS might not be attractive enough - the style and game more athletic and physical than tactical.

Rio WHY: More exotic, it's freakin Brazil, it's freakin Rio, beaches, women, g-strings, his wife is a Latina, nightlife/parties/carnivals, the build up to WC 2014, the style of (beautiful) football, the chance to play in competitive tournaments like Copa Libertadores and play against notable south american clubs, the chance to see South America.

Rio WHY NOT: crime and issues with safety/security, pay, not the "man" of the team - players can hold their own (talented/skilled) and he'll have pressure to keep up/live up, the distance to Europe a little further harder to make Qual matches.

I'm not so sure Adrian Mutu would be a good fit for MLS, although I said the same thing about Theirry Henry, and look at what a machine he is this year. If they get him, it'll draw in all the Chelsea supporters in Montreal that aren't already watching Impact games.

Archived