Red Team Elimination Watch .....

Trillium

Its pretty tradiitional its parts of Canada to have a Blue Team elimination watch... in hockey, I wonder if the Red team should have the same

respect accorded to it ?

Based on last years results in the 2011 season it would seem 47 or 48 points will get a team in the playoffs.

KC has fifteen points Toronto 0 ( or has let 12 pts go away based on four games )

Based on 38 games X 3 pt for win, 114 points are available to a team ...

Toronto after four games has 102 left and therefore needs to win 47 points out those available.

That would be something like 15 wins and two ties to get to 47 points.

TFC once won ten league games in a 30 game season in 2009

With 34 games left and a win rate of .33 they could win 11 games for 33 points if on pace with one of the better TFC seasons.

Seems essentially they are very close to being out of it for the season, what is your analysis of the numbers ?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to wonder when TFC stalwarts have given up discussing the teams win / loss here .... if they are losing thread about

supporting their team.

Troll mmm perhaps if thats your view but seriously TFC is off to another horrible season with clearly no improvement on the

horizon, they probably cant make the playoffs, and the fan base ...even on the TFC club site are asking why they support the

team.

So ... perhaps elimnated all ready or is there any hope in the Voyageurs Cup to redeem the season ?

The league schedule is only 34 games.

TFC is awful. I blame the ownership.

There doesn't seem to be much MLS talk at all at the V's forum, let alone TFC talk. Mind you I've noticed A LOT less TFC discussion at the supporter's forums. Apathy truly has set in.

The league schedule is only 34 games.

TFC is awful. I blame the ownership.

There doesn't seem to be much MLS talk at all at the V's forum, let alone TFC talk. Mind you I've noticed A LOT less TFC discussion at the supporter's forums. Apathy truly has set in.

I feel that ML$E is one of the last ones to blame for TFCs woeful start. Don’t get me wrong, they are not without their faults but I feel that the MLS cap is more to blame for any teams poor start. If there was no cap, this would be a non-issue because ML$E would have fronted the cash to sure up the back line (based on their previous MAJOR dedication to the team with the Academy). With the cap, one bad signing (a la JDG) and a team is left writhing for the length of the contract. Sure Winter et al. is to fault for signings like Iro and Caicedo but when your looking for a stud on next-to-no money due to limited cap space, risks are taken and unfortunately for TFC there have been more failures with those risks (Iro, Martina) than successes (Soolsma). As painful as it is, I hope Winter sees out his contract and I am curious as to what he will do with the cap space that JDG will free up next year. How he and his crew use the extra money will be the tipping for Winter and his TFC legacy. Then again, it is a lot easier to be patient watching the games on TV in Calgary than making the trek week after week to BMO. Just my two cents.

I feel that this horrid start is one of the rare occasions in soccer where spending money (if there were any available) would solve the problem. I do not disagree with you about MLSE being cancerous, but they took a step in the right direction buy getting Winter et al. and was the right call for TFC and Canadian soccer. As I alluded to earlier, my patients is expectedly more as I am not at BMO every week but I am optimistic, blindly optimistic, but still optimistic.

, but they took a step in the right direction buy getting Winter et al. .

I think you might be blinded by his nationality. He is out of his depth. The guy has never coached professionals until he joined TFC. He is learning on the job.

Mind you, I cut him some slack because I'm not even sure who is really running this team? Is it Winter? Mariner? How dysfunctional is it?

Biased or not, having coaches who were involved with Jong Ajax setting up an academy to create a team identity is 90/100 times going to be a smart choice. Having Winter be the head coach, debatable as he is out of his comfort zone, but I feel the worst thing to do was fire him (or move him to a FO position) and make it 6 coaches in 6 years(?).

Biased or not, having coaches who were involved with Jong Ajax setting up an academy to create a team identity is 90/100 times going to be a smart choice. Having Winter be the head coach, debatable as he is out of his comfort zone, but I feel the worst thing to do was fire him (or move him to a FO position) and make it 6 coaches in 6 years(?).

So a loss to Chicago is that devistating to the players on the team leading to the players turning of Winter and trying to organize themselves on teh field without really following his plans ?

The real question I suspect is can Winter change is vision of the game to suit the talents he has on hand ?

Clearly a coach trained in one system with players who can play the system can he adjust to a group who lack the skills to play his favorite system ?

If the players turn off Winter ... how will the team respond to leadership from whatever player steps up to be leader on and off the field ?]

You have to wonder what the players meetings are like right now ?

Seriously? 12 posts on why TFC has started 0-5? The answer is:

Torsten Frings is hurt and he's the only All-Star quality player we have. We have maybe 2 or 3 above-average players like Plata or Johnson, but no one stamps their authority on the game like Frings does. Without him our defense is absurdly incompetent.

So a loss to Chicago is that devistating to the players on the team leading to the players turning of Winter and trying to organize themselves on teh field without really following his plans ?

The real question I suspect is can Winter change is vision of the game to suit the talents he has on hand ?

Clearly a coach trained in one system with players who can play the system can he adjust to a group who lack the skills to play his favorite system ?

If the players turn off Winter ... how will the team respond to leadership from whatever player steps up to be leader on and off the field ?]

You have to wonder what the players meetings are like right now ?

Go worry about your own team.

Torsten Frings is hurt and he's the only All-Star quality player we have. We have maybe 2 or 3 above-average players like Plata or Johnson, but no one stamps their authority on the game like Frings does. Without him our defense is absurdly incompetent.

I think the club didn't do enough in the off-season. Its practically status quo from the end of last year. But now that Koevermans, Plata, etc are known quantities they are being marked out of the game. And Winter doesn't have a response for that.

Go worry about your own team.

I do have a concern for soccer in Ontairo, a weak TFC that loses fan support from folks like yourself will hurt the Academy Program,

which I want to see succeed, probably much more then you do, the problems at TFC are bigger in impact then your Saturday funks, its about

how soccer will develop in Ontario in the next five years.

So dont fall into the if your not with us wholeheartly drinking the kool aid to mean I dont have real concern for TFC success.

Koevermans being snake-bit hasn't helped. Is there another player in the league who's had more balls cleared off the line by a defender right now (or at least it feels like it)? Game changers to boot. It's getting hilarious. If you didn't laugh about it you'd have to cry.

But yeah, some horrid stuff happening on the pitch for TFC, sets the teeth cringing, and I wouldn't say its only happening on defense.

I do have a concern for soccer in Ontairo, a weak TFC that loses fan support from folks like yourself will hurt the Academy Program,

which I want to see succeed, probably much more then you do.

You gotta be ****ing kidding me!? This is the last time i respond to your trollish garbage in this thread...

Koevermans being snake-bit hasn't helped. Is there another player in the league who's had more balls cleared off the line by a defender right now (or at least it feels like it)? Game changers to boot. It's getting hilarious. If you didn't laugh about it you'd have to cry.

But yeah, some horrid stuff happening on the pitch for TFC, sets the teeth cringing, and I wouldn't say its only happening on defense.

Good point, completely forgot about Koevermans going from a goal a game to kicking goalposts.

I think what alot of us forget is that until Frings and Koevermans came over we were pretty crappy last season. Then we sort of picked it up a bit at the end and seemed to raise expectations coming into this season.

I think the club didn't do enough in the off-season. Its practically status quo from the end of last year. But now that Koevermans, Plata, etc are known quantities they are being marked out of the game. And Winter doesn't have a response for that.

Problem was though that they couldn't do much in the offseason. They were up against the cap and had to resign Plata & Eckersley. I was happy that resigned both, but as others have said, expectations are higher.

and I wouldn't say its only happening on defense.

Yes, Kouvermans has not had quality service. The squad has looked so much different when Frings is in the lineup. Even in the CCL matches, it was he who delivered the quality ball(s) that led to at least one goal. There is still work to be done as far as adding or finding someone who can settle the mid field.

I'm no tactical mastermind like Aron Winter, but I wonder why he doesn't stick a DM right in front of the back 4 -say DeGuzman in Frings absence- and then use Avila and Silva together in the middle to generate some attack. You're paying Avila $100k to sit behind Dunfield. It makes no sense. I guess with Harden/Emory as central defenders, I can see the need for two DMs, but it's not really ideal for a balanced attack.

This happens in MLS more than people like to acknowledge. It's much easier to tar-and-feather with once good, now crap... although in the best of my estimation Koevermans was struggling for fitness to start the year.

I saw the same kind of pattern happen with guys like Maykel Galindo. Looked dominant for his first year, but once other teams got tape on him they were able to get him out of his comfort zone. Most guys will bounce back, but he never did.

Problem was though that they couldn't do much in the offseason. They were up against the cap and had to resign Plata & Eckersley. I was happy that resigned both, but as others have said, expectations are higher.

As I said previously, blaming the cap is a bogus excuse. ALL MLS teams face the same problem. But for some reason TFC fans use it as a crutch.

Besides, the club did manage to make additions. Its just that it appears guys like Lambe, Aceval aren't big enough improvements. Plus the Caiceido debacle also didn't help things.

Plus cap money could have been freed up by releasing/trading players.

And besides the results at the end of 2011 weren't THAT good. They just looked good in comparison to the first 2/3rds of the season.

Archived