FC Edmonton Fantasy Crest Design...

strobe_z

Since I have a long history of posting up Fantasy Canadian Soccer crests here, I thought some of you might get a kick out of a couple of images I've posted up at the ESG website

This first one is a "FC Edmonton Rally Rabbit" crest.

jackalopecresta.jpg

The second one is basically an FCEd crest inspired by their new Black/Blue kits...

fcedrabbitcrestwhite2.jpg

The three peaks at the top represent Edmonton's Muttart Conservatory pyramids (with a nod to the Alberta Rocky Mountains as well). The Wheat represents... wheat. ;) The two Jackalopes are heraldic fantastic supporters, and they're supporting the soccer ball. The FCEd banner embraces all of it... and the platform represents the fans. I added "always" to the "stand united" bit because... I needed more text :P (but I think it fits). I'd also like to point out that a) despite the complexity of having two rabbits with horns clashing it's really hard to "stand united" by yourself and B) the horns are actually united and touching. I wanted to have one of the rabbits a different colour, because they change during the winter/summer... but it seemed a bit too much gold.

Comments welcome~

It occurs to me not all of you will be familiar with the FC Edmonton Rally Rabbit's tale... so here it is:

Just what is the Rally Rabbit?

The Rally Rabbit is the animal spirit guide of FC Edmonton. As a source of extreme good luck (having, after all, FOUR rabbit's feet at his disposal), he helps FC Edmonton on to victory by his mere presence at home matches.

Sometimes affectionately known as the "Eddie Bunny", he first made his presence known on June 26, 2011 at Foote Field as FC Edmonton faced the Impact Montreal FC - a team that had already beaten the Eddies twice previously, including a 5-0 drubbing in their home opener. Suddenly, from out of nowhere, the Rally Rabbit charged over the south side of Foote Field and onto the pitch, planting himself directly in front of the Impact goal. Despite being a long way offside, and getting repeatedly harassed by IMFC defenders, the Rally Rabbit refused to be chased off the pitch and eventually led FC Edmonton to their first 1-0 victory over the visitors from Montreal.

Given this strange behaviour by a rabbit, an extensive investigation was launched by the Edmonton Supporters Group (ESG), and after careful examination of the evidence, noted scientists concluded that the FC Edmonton Rally Rabbit was, in fact, a Northern Prairie Jackalope!

Long thought to be a mythical beast, the Northern Prairie Jackalope is actually one of the deadliest creatures found in North America. Bigger and more vicious than their short-haired Jackalope cousins (found primarily in Wyoming) a single Northern Prairie Jackalope has been known to send a Silverback Ape running in fear. Although incredibly difficult to spot, during the short summer months they can often be heard howling at the Stars. While they call the Canadian Prairies home, they will range across North America, and have been known to travel as far as islands in the Caribbean in search of prey. As omnivores, they will eat almost anything, including taking bites out of large prey items in Central and Pacific Canada, however Scorpions (such as those found in the South-Western United States) are quickly becoming an important part of their diet.

While their only natural enemy is the American Railhawk, they also have a particular dislike for those displaying Rowdy behaviour, which will cause them to Strike viciously without warning or mercy.

Jackalopes travel in groups (called "marches") and often use social media to coordinate their activities - such as promoting the adoption of bunnies from the Edmonton Humane Society. Although quite elusive, one of the best ways to track their movements is by using the Twitter hashtag #RallyRabbit.

Despite the fact that they can be deadly in the wild, they respond well to enthusiastic singing and chanting, the more off-key the better.

You can follow the FC Edmonton Rally Rabbit on Twitter @FCEdRabbit, and if you'd like to learn more about his history, visit the Edmonton Supporters Group (ESG) website at http://www.edmontonsoccerfans.com

"Bring out the Rabbit!"

I'm not a huge fan of FCE's current crest. I like most of the second crest, really good. Out of my personal preferences, I would make the following changes:

1) Turn the "Football Club Edmonton" into a ribbon rather than the arced rectangle. I'm a sucker for the ribbon banner, and in my own crest concepts I've taken to using a supporter's scarf instead.

2) Somehow get the rabbits and "stand united" inside the shield. When I'm designing, one of my biggest concerns is "how well could this be placed on apparel?" and I anticipate that the shape you've used is too complicated.

3) Lose the antlers on the rabbits. I think the rabbit is cool enough without resorting to mythological beasts... after all, no one wants to be like the "rail hawks"..... laaaaaaaaame... ;)

Still, I like it a lot and think it's an improvement on the current crest.

Heh... I knew I could count on dmont for some critical response.

1) I thought about a ribbon. Maybe I'll give that a try. I did really like the supporters scarf idea.

2) I considered that as well. The top-most "rally rabbit" crest is something that anticipates apparel. The second one was basically... if MUFC and Liverpool can do it, let's get crazy.

3) Yeah, I'm torn about that. The rabbit doesn't strike fear into the hearts of men... but I suppose that doesn't really matter. The Jackalope idea has been getting some traction. Maybe I'll try a second version with no antlers.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not a huge fan of FCE's current crest. I like most of the second crest, really good. Out of my personal preferences, I would make the following changes:

1) Turn the "Football Club Edmonton" into a ribbon rather than the arced rectangle. I'm a sucker for the ribbon banner, and in my own crest concepts I've taken to using a supporter's scarf instead.

2) Somehow get the rabbits and "stand united" inside the shield. When I'm designing, one of my biggest concerns is "how well could this be placed on apparel?" and I anticipate that the shape you've used is too complicated.

3) Lose the antlers on the rabbits. I think the rabbit is cool enough without resorting to mythological beasts... after all, no one wants to be like the "rail hawks"..... laaaaaaaaame... ;)

Still, I like it a lot and think it's an improvement on the current crest.

Loose the Antlers off of our Jackalope!!

ARE YOU CRAZY!

Thats like cutting the Horn of a Unicorn!;)

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Nothing wrong with the Rabbits. At least it's relative to the subject matter. I'm not sure what an "impact" means to Montreal, or "red" to Toronto (given that, historically, it's a "blue" town... stupid marketing people).

Also, the "Eddies" has to be the best club nickname going.

• 4 weeks later...
Nothing wrong with the Rabbits. At least it's relative to the subject matter. I'm not sure what an "impact" means to Montreal, or "red" to Toronto (given that, historically, it's a "blue" town... stupid marketing people).

Also, the "Eddies" has to be the best club nickname going.

Impact crater, a meteor crater caused by an impact event

Impact event, the collision of a meteoroid, asteroid or comet with Earth

I think it resonates with the current marketing videos where there is an explosion spreading out from Montreal adn in a impact event.

I still think Montreal Manic was great name and even the Supra name, what would be fun is to get name ideas for the new Ottawa team in 2014 in NASL.

Impact crater, a meteor crater caused by an impact event

Impact event, the collision of a meteoroid, asteroid or comet with Earth

I think it resonates with the current marketing videos where there is an explosion spreading out from Montreal adn in a impact event.

I still think Montreal Manic was great name and even the Supra name, what would be fun is to get name ideas for the new Ottawa team in 2014 in NASL.

This one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manicouagan_crater

Archived