TFCA - Should They Stay In The CSL?

Tuscan

News today came out that the Impact academy, which I'm not sure if it is separate from the Trois-Rivieres Attak, has joined the US Development Academy (which is basically where almost all MLS club academies play out of). It got me thinking: is TFCA better off remaining in the CSL or should they perhaps look into joining the large USSDA? I don't know what the level of play is like in the USSDA but the Whitecaps have participated in it for a number of years now and continue to churn out high-class North American players.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the quality of the USSDA as well as the quality of the CSL? With all the rumours of oligarchical leadership and possible match fixing in the CSL, is it wise for TFCA to continue playing in the CSL? How would an average CSL team stack up against the Red Bull Academy or the Whitecaps Academy?

What you're referring to as USSDA are the U18 and U16 leagues. This is the Caps first season, and I believe most MLS have squads at both levels. They play 24? matches per season. The Caps are doing well, but not dominating. They can, and probably will, win their division. But they've certainly dropped points in the non-divisional matches. Considering they have a very experienced group of 93s and 94s, I would have thought they'd be doing better.

The Caps still have a U23 PDL squad that get an additional 16? matches. This competition would be at the CSL level.

Ah I see. I'd say that ignorance is bliss but I'm a slight bit embarrassed at the total out-to-lunchness of this entire thread. It's interesting to note that the USSDA is only U16 and U18. Are they directly competing with USL Super-Y? Why can't there be a single controlled development system that starts at U12 or U14 and goes all the way up to MLS? This is asked without considering that LTPD might say that intense competition at those age groups is not recommended, I haven't checked.

@Tuscan - USSDA and SYL are NOT competing. USSDA is at least 1 level, if not 2 above SYL. The teams are clearly superior. Strong leagues such as the Pacific Northwest and both California divisions have left SYL. As you have seen they are now in USSDA as the competition is higher/better/more professional. SYL does have some success stories and fills a much needed gap that USSDA hasn't expanded into yet. Yes, some top SYL teams would likely win games here and there against lower/bottom USSDA, but otherwise...how do I know? I was an assistant and coached SYL for a number of years on a team that qualified for Florida and players named to national all-stars and competed at the ODP national camp....none of these teams/players would give the current Whitecaps youth a particularly good game......a nice run around for a while but otherwise no.

@on-topic! Should TFCA stay in CSL? Well they have a premier development record compared to the other MLS teams in regards to youth signings and moving them into relevant first team minutes. So it appears the CSL is providing a very adequate education. TFC could potentially use CSL as a place to rehab/give minutes/experience to some of their younger pro's potentially and not restrict it to just their u16-18 players?

MTL joining USSDA may be reason for TFCA to join USSDA or not...no clue. As noted above they travelled to Columbus to play, and they played somewhere else too...Cleveland I think? TFCA also goes to the SUM cups I think??

TFCA should probably stay in CSL - get meaningful games with less travel. Unless their youth products stop developing as they currently are I suppose why change?

Archived