Realistically, who think Sinclair will break Hamm's record?

Sinclair has 133 senior international goals at age 28. Mia Hamm's international record (and highest of all women's internationals of all-time) is 158 senior international goals.

What do you think? Will she break the record? and if so, who will be the highest all-time scorer when Sinclair retires? (she's neck-and-neck with Wambach for caps/goals ratio and one goal total behind at present)

She will break the record, barring any serious injury. As the CNWT plays 20+ games per, and she is only 25 goals from tying the record, Christine should break the record in less than 3 years. When she retires, she will hold the record, and I doubt there will be any serious contenders for a few years. The upcoming international youth stars of today will be moving into starting roles, and displacing older players that have accumulated goals in the past. It will be tough for a player to maintain a starting striker role for more than 5-6 years.

Wambach is also a goal scoring machine, but I believe her injuries are catching up to her. She looked to be in a lot of pain during the Vancouver qualifiers, and often played only 45 minutes.

It would be interesting to plot the average scores of Women's international games over the last 20 years.

Good point, my guess would be that they are going down as disparities between teams decrease/overall level of play increases... this would also work against girls achieving such high strike rates in the future. Also if the women's pro game ever starts to pick up, it would most certainly be good for women's soccer, but at the same time would decrease the number of national team games played per year.

Edited by A_Gagne

my guess would be that they are going down as disparities between teams decrease/overall level of play increases...

Yes, but there are still many countries that have barely dipped a toe into the women's game, or where progress is slow. As more of them field teams, there will be pressure to increase the size of tournaments, meaning more lopsided scores. I think we have a ways to go yet before we run out of noobz to beat up on.

If Brazil played more international matches Marta would be a candidate; at 80 goals in 72 matches at the age of 26 her strike rate is higher but matches played per year much lower.

Yes, Marta is a good candidate. I think that goal count needs to be weighted to number of games for it to be a valid comparison. I don't think the U.S. will lower Mia Hamm from her pedestal and certainly not for a Canadian. Hamm is part of history now.

• 7 years later...

I am not sure she does it at this WC.  Most of the plays I see, she isn't in an optimal scoring position and tries to be a provider rather than forcing a low % effort.  

Either way, if it doesn't happen, I hope the CSA would line up a friendly home game or two against a couple of sacrificial minnows to make sure she does it - and ideally at home.  

Look, if she doesn't break the record and if she is looking to retire I say the CSA should invite a minnow for a farewell game, maybe Taiwan, pay their way and treat them to something they don't get at home.  Then spend the game feeding Sinclair the ball.  Everyone wins and F#@! Abby Wambach.

Edited by Patrick
Sp.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:19 PM, dyslexic nam said:

I am not sure she does it at this WC.  Most of the plays I see, she isn't in an optimal scoring position and tries to be a provider rather than forcing a low % effort.  

Either way, if it doesn't happen, I hope the CSA would line up a friendly home game or two against a couple of sacrificial minnows to make sure she does it - and ideally at home.  

I didn't think it was likely here either as she is scoring once every two to three games.  Getting four would require getting at least two in the group stage.