Olympic Qualifying - Canada vs. Mexico March 31st, 2012 GAME THREAD [R]

jpg75

According to this ESPN Deportes article the Mexicans flew in on Wednesday afternoon and had their ONLY practice session yesterday*. They will have a walkthrough at Livestrong Park today before tomorrow's match.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=1493104&s=oli&type=story

The practice was closed door and some high school students who watched said they practiced tactics.

*This and our physical advantage might be our only advantages. Canada were only 600-700km away in Nashville and would have likely been able to train in KC on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're looking for a reason to be hopeful, Canada's national team (senior version) has a .500 record against the Mexican NT over the last 10 matches played outside Mexico (source)

That's encouraging. We have done well against them at the youth level but that was mostly a while back such as the early part of the last decade when their youth teams were not like the senior sides as far as dominance in the region. Lately, they have been world beaters at the youth ranks so thats not encouraging. Also, you stated their record outside of mexico but, playing in the US might as well be a home game for them.

What is encouraging in this game is that we are underdogs and we play well as underdogs. Where we run into problems is when we are in a situation where we have to press for offense.

That's encouraging. We have done well against them at the youth level but that was mostly a while back such as the early part of the last decade when their youth teams were not like the senior sides as far as dominance in the region. Lately, they have been world beaters at the youth ranks so thats not encouraging. Also, you stated their record outside of mexico but, playing in the US might as well be a home game for them.

What is encouraging in this game is that we are underdogs and we play well as underdogs. Where we run into problems is when we are in a situation where we have to press for offense.

Well actually our 2009 U20 team beat them 2-0 in qualifying... from players available for tomorrow that team had Haber, Davies, Attakora, Saiko, Misiewicz.. might be forgetting some.

Mexico have been world beaters at the U17 level where they were world champs in Peru 2005 and as hosts in 2011. The core of that 2005 squad made it to the U20 QF's in 2007. Gio Dos Santos and Carlos Vela were on both the U17 and U20 teams and both were eligible for the U23's but were not released. None of the players on this Mexican U23 team were on either the U17 champions or QF-ist from 2007.

I boldly predicted a 5-0 loss (yes, 5-0) to the States so I'm going to go ahead now and predict a 7-0 loss to Mexico and see if the same nolando reverse-logic magic might apply tomorrow. Is it too late to fly in Richard Hastings to sing the anthem or be an assistant ball boy or something just to have him there? "All I need is a miracle, all I need is youuuuuuuuu."

So far this tourney I predicted a loss for Canada Inn there first match I was wrong. I predicted a Huge Loss against the States I was Wrong and I predicted a Win v Cuba I was wrong So Today I predicting Canada to lose, and based on my predictions I say London Here We Come !!!!

Guest Brethers

so so so psyched for this game, hoping for another bit of Saturday magic like last week. Want to singing the national anthem in pride in my changing room tomorrow! Although the fact I was still drunk and that it annoyed people made it more appealing...

Anyway, come on Canada! For some reason I have belief we can do this, will probably lead to greater disappointment if we lose but I'm cautiously optimistic

In an interview the Mexican coach Luis Fernando Tena said of Canada "we have seen Canada very strong specially before United States, they changed a lot their lined up in the three games, well put together, have athletic players that don't let you play and have a productive set play". Respect his own Mexican team he said "There are two possibilities according the circumstances, we also have an area man like Erick Torres that can help us. The idea is the same, have the ball and attack in a consistent manner intending to win in depth that it was what we lacked in some matches" (above are translations from Spanish).

I really am not sure what to expect tonight. It seems way too good to be true for Canada to qualify for the Olympics but at the same time I have a real good feeling for tonight. I'm going to say the game will be 1-1 after 90 minutes, after that who knows what will happen BUT....

GO CANADA GO!!!!

Make us proud boys!

What a big day! Now that TFC have fulfilled their weekly profecy and $h*t the bed I can focus on the real game at hand.

I am terrified to make a prediction, so I will not. There are so many angles we could use to analyze the game today. So many strengths and weaknesses, mitigating factors for both teams... I think that all bets are off for normal factors... This could be one for the ages.

I am just going to crack an imported beer with my buddy, sit back and cheer for Canada. Good luck lads!

I am excited for this one... I really am waiting to see the line-up before I get too hopeful. Not that I am a tactical genius or have any brillant suggestions, but as long as haworth isn't in i'll be happy to start. Go Canada!

Line-ups:

Misiewicz (GK), Fresenga, Attakora, Henry, Teibert, Piette, Bekker, Davies, James, Cavallini, Haber

Sanchez (GK), Jimenez, Mier, Chavez, Herrera, Cabrera, Fabian, Aquino, Reyes, Ponce, Pulido

Archived