Capital City FC announcement on 2012 season

gwsmith63

I know it has been posted on another thread but think it deserves one of its own.

Thoughts?

Capital City FC announcement

After a wonderful inaugural season where they reached the Championship match, Capital City Football Club is disappointed to announce it will not field a team in the 2012 Canadian Soccer League Season.

Capital City FC has made the decision not participate in 2012 because of concerns with the league’s vision moving forward.

“I have a great deal of pride in what Capital City was able to accomplish on and off the field in 2011 and I don’t want to see that end. However, we are not convinced we can accomplish all of our goals in the Canadian Soccer League at this time,” according to President Neil Malhotra.

Capital City will take 2012 to assess future options for the club.

Capital City FC wishes to thank all of its corporate partners, technical staff, volunteers, players and most importantly, supporters for all of their continued support as Capital City looks to the future.

Has the CSL released a statement of their own regarding the matter? That league certainly seems to be under siege of the worst kind - PR siege. Teams are getting out, probes are beginning. I sure wouldn't want to be part of that office staff right now.

Is it too late for CCFC to join the league Dino and Milltown are a part of? Plus, perhaps this means CCFC is going to focus on the move to NASL sooner than later. That would be a better end to this I think.

Has the CSL released a statement of their own regarding the matter? That league certainly seems to be under siege of the worst kind - PR siege. Teams are getting out, probes are beginning. I sure wouldn't want to be part of that office staff right now.

Is it too late for CCFC to join the league Dino and Milltown are a part of? Plus, perhaps this means CCFC is going to focus on the move to NASL sooner than later. That would be a better end to this I think.

Not sure about any NASL involvement. If OSEG (which includes the Ottawa Fury owner) has been awarded an NASL franchise for 2013/2014 there is no way a 2nd one would be given, surely.

Guest GoGreen

Not sure what to think, they put out an off-season article not too long ago I believe

stating their goals for the 2012 season. I also can't help but think that Milltown FC, Hamilton Croatia pulled out 2 seasons ago.

I want to know what is going on? It doesn't seem like a face saving move as the same reasons were cited for Milltown

and Hamilton.

I'll post this here as well. What people maybe should bear in mind about CCFC was that the owner originally wanted to run a D2 level team but lost out in that regard in expansion rights terms to the group associated with the new CFL team. With the NASL team now looking certain to emerge he maybe lost interest because he was only interested in running the top team in status terms in that particular city.

Heh, I just wanted to have a little fun showing just how consistent bbtb is: Here he is giving two different answers, in two diffenent threads, to the exact same question . Instead of making two conflicting claims to hedge your bets, why not post neither, then just wait for the facts?

I'll post this here as well. What people maybe should bear in mind about CCFC was that the owner originally wanted to run a D2 level team but lost out in that regard in expansion rights terms to the group associated with the new CFL team. With the NASL team now looking certain to emerge he maybe lost interest because he was only interested in running the top team in status terms in that particular city.

and then the next day in another thread

If that were the only factor why wait until now to pull the plug? Only a few days ago their website was still being updated with info about the 2012 season. Something must have happened at the CSL's scheduling meeting that annoyed the owner. That points to a difference in opinion on how the schedule was put together. Maybe the addition of the three second division teams from last season (FC Kingston, Waterloo Region and Niagara United) didn't go down well and they wanted more of an emphasis on quality rather than quantity so it would be easier to market the CSL as a rival to the NASL rather than a clear step down from it?

Heh, I just wanted to have a little fun showing just how consistent bbtb is: Here he is giving two different answers, in two diffenent threads, to the exact same question . Instead of making two conflicting claims to hedge your bets, why not post neither, then just wait for the facts?

and then the next day in another thread

There's actually no incongruity here, BBTB's first post semi-defends the CSL as a 3rd division league because CCFC were only interested in being a D2 "bigwig" in Ottawa. The second speculates that it could be that Malholtra felt the CSL was committing to being D3 by bringing up CSL-2 clubs that wouldn't fit with CCFC's definition of being second-division.

There's actually no incongruity here, BBTB's first post semi-defends the CSL as a 3rd division league because CCFC were only interested in being a D2 "bigwig" in Ottawa. The second speculates that it could be that Malholtra felt the CSL was committing to being D3 by bringing up CSL-2 clubs that wouldn't fit with CCFC's definition of being second-division.

Yes there is an incongruity because taking a year off makes no rational sense for the stated goal. How does leaving the CSL gain them anything? The first post just claimed he had a childish dream he's gotten bored of or given up on. The second claims he's actually having a temper tantrum over a very specific issue (schedualing) and then guesses that they just don't like seeing teams improve? All with no proof, I suppose it is mildly possible Malhotra acts like an irrational child being fickle and throwing fits but doesn't that seem unlikely?

The main problem would be the idea that any of these issues seems at all reasonable for the hiatus of a club. I mean really, "new small clubs, ARRRGGHHHH, that makes me so angry I'm going to pull my team out of the league and put it nowhere", how many people will actually cut off their nose to spite their face?

Yes there is an incongruity because taking a year off makes no rational sense for the stated goal. How does leaving the CSL gain them anything?

It doesn't. They're "cutting their losses". Trois Rivieres were only leaving the CSL for a year, remember?

The first post just claimed he had a childish dream he's gotten bored of or given up on. The second claims he's actually having a temper tantrum over a very specific issue (schedualing) and then guesses that they just don't like seeing teams improve? All with no proof, I suppose it is mildly possible Malhotra acts like an irrational child being fickle and throwing fits but doesn't that seem unlikely?

The first post made no claims that it was childish, I doubt many would think of trying to own a professional sports club as childish, at least on this forum.

As to the specific issue of scheduling, BBTB said he thought it must have come up at the scheduling meetings due to the addition of smaller, less ambitious clubs. Not that scheduling was the issue in and of itself.

The main problem would be the idea that any of these issues seems at all reasonable for the hiatus of a club. I mean really, "new small clubs, ARRRGGHHHH, that makes me so angry I'm going to pull my team out of the league and put it nowhere", how many people will actually cut off their nose to spite their face?

They're not spiting their face, they're saying "If I can't be top dog, I'm out." That's really all he's said here.

It doesn't. They're "cutting their losses". Trois Rivieres were only leaving the CSL for a year, remember?

The first post made no claims that it was childish, I doubt many would think of trying to own a professional sports club as childish, at least on this forum.

As to the specific issue of scheduling, BBTB said he thought it must have come up at the scheduling meetings due to the addition of smaller, less ambitious clubs. Not that scheduling was the issue in and of itself.

They're not spiting their face, they're saying "If I can't be top dog, I'm out." That's really all he's said here.

-just so ya know, I sincerly hope your not getting pissed with me

Your right on the first one, he didn't say childish, I described the motivations he was implying as childish, and therefore a very unlikely assumption of a successful adult.

To put it bluntly, with the exception of tfc, I don't think anyone goes into Canadian soccer for the money (though they certainly leave for that reason). I think that makes the 'if I can't be top dog, I'm out' as unrealistically simple. I just don't buy that someone could actually have that mentality (too one dimensional) or waste their time in Canadian soccer in the first place if their strictly ambitious.

I think your giving him way too much credit trying to lead the post from the other thread into the next, re read them. His simple motivation response is clearly countered by a claim that 'something must have annoyed the owner' (unnecessary if he's just a top dog guy), He also seems to imply they were actually comfy in the CSL (contridiction to the other post). I can see the point he's then trying to make but really? Do you really think he's going to be upset by expansion? If he's a normal, 'good for canada' owner he sees the obvious potential to max out a top division and develop better clubs maybe to necessitate a second (it just seems overly snooty and shortsighted) and this post clearly points to him just being a very abrupt or tempermental person, no longer simple and ambitious (neither of which I personally buy but meh).

Therefore I think he has tried to give multiple explanations, erroneosly spreading the blame around everywhere. I don't really care about the reasons involved, but I think it's inappropriate to make different claims in different threads like you believe them both. If we need only be limiting our speculation to our imagination, I could give dozens of pointless explanations to shift the blame where I want it to go but god, could you really imagine!? Pointing fingers in general off minimal information is inappropriate, you should have a solid point before you speculate publically.

The Trois Riviere Attak hiatus isn't a good comparision because from what I hear, that was an internal management explosion (argueing, allegations etc)

Archived