Canada U-23 - El Salvador U-23 Game Thread [R]

Lord Bob

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@soccer1 - and what players would those be exactly? Ones that aren't there that you believe weren't looked at....Porter was injured, so you can't count him. Who else?

I am wondering, to be honest, if Piette/Alderson are there....why not Aleman?

I've been waiting for someone to bring this up.

Please, the US team kills us in preparation and is easily better talent wise. We don't have an Adu, Shea or Aguelo...

We need to build an attack around Edwini-Bonsu that won't allow the US to focus solely on him. If we have Haber alone up top we are screwed, I'd throw him on the right and put Teibert out left.

Adu is very mediocre. Everyone knows that now. He actually hinders the U.S.'s possession style because every time he gets the ball, he has to "show off" his moves instead of passing to an open teammate.

I should have clarified my earlier post. The U.S. is missing its 2 best players in Sebastian Lletget and Josh Gatt (clubs wouldn't release them). The U.S. backline is also atrocious - a bunch of athletes that can't control or dribble. If the U.S. was at full strength then I would agree with you, they would probably beat Canada easily. But Canada has a very good shot at a draw with these two players missing. Good luck!

This is tournament for 22 year old professionals and we dont have enough of them out there.

And that was just in comparison to El Salvador...against the US and (if we should get there) Mexico it will probably be worse as their 22 & 23 year olds are playing regularly at a higher level than El Salvador. Hopefully we will improve. I think we can beat Cuba so advancement out of the group at least may come down to goal differential. If we lose the US they will have qualified for the next round and may not be so motivated to pummel El Salvador in the final game. On the other hand, we'll probably know what we need to do against Cuba in order to qualify.

Guest soccer1

I know at least 4 attacking players and a couple of creative playmakers players,midfield and forward that are available,but CSA will rather lose and not go to the Olympics then have them in...The Whitcaps and TFC etc...don't care if Canada qualifies somewhere,their main objective is to feature their favorite pets anywhere they can...It's money...

If you are watching USA vs. Cuba...You see what happens when a team has an attacking power...{Canada being Cuba and El Salvador being USA}

We had Sodade and REB who are absolute athletic beasts that should be able to stretch just about any defence sitting on the bench.

We had Doniel Henry on the bench who shut down Brek Shea and FC Dallas in the CCL last year as a right back while Stinson was getting absolutely worked at RB.

We have a very good attacking LW playing LB in Teibert.

We had no composure and ability to dictate things in the middle of the park (Sporting KC head coach singled out Gyorio as a player who showed the ability to slow a game down and control the tempo and dictate things in a MLS GAME.) He gets cut from the team.

Evan James has the worst game I've seen by a Canadian in a Nats uniform this year, is the first to get subbed out? Of course not. Lets sub out our creative CM instead.

Marcus Haber is not a goalscorer. Yet we pin our goalscoring hopes on him as the loan striker up front.

This stupid 4-5-1 business that Fonseca and Hart are preaching is a load of sillyness. Nothing gets created with the players Canada have in that system.

Valerio Gazzola = Tony Fonseca

2011- U20 = 2012 U23.

However, let's be honest, we don't have enough 22 year old professionals.

Stinson is getting skinned at RB. Teibert is having trouble well.

Both players should be playing other positions.

Pretty much what I saw constantly as well. RT at least has the quickness to get back and break up his mistakes. Stinson is just getting walked around on the dribble and the give and go. A draw is good considering how many chances we gave up. Bigtime kudos to the keeper!!! Misiewicz == MOTM no questions asked. I think the defense owes him a nice dinner at the resteraunt of his choice. Bailed their butts out repeatedly.

To be honest I don't expect us to qualify. I would love it if we could pull it off and hay stuff can happen in a short tournament. Dare to dream Arnold, dare to dream :)

The idea of starting out 2018 WCQ now with this bunch is not a bad idea. Yea I would love to have a real RB & LB plus a few other players but if their clubs won't release them then WTF? Put out the kids and see who can cut it swinging above their weight. So far the keeper can and that is it but the experience and another 4 years will do these players a world of good. Lets face it the Olympic soccer gold medal is about 5th or 6th on the list of important national tournaments so it is a good way to train up our youth against other countries who take it more seriously. JM2CW.

Guest soccer1

I think this team can and should have to play 4:2:3:1 the way they are...Otherwise it will be Dale Mitchell's soccer{anti-soccer} of 6:4 formations...Gazzola shouldn't be even spoken in the same sentence as Tony Fonseca, but I am sure that CSA is forcing them to play "soccer on paper" or "soccer on a computer" where they supply him with a lot of wrong informations and misleading material,so he would agree to call the players the interested parties want and need featured...If politics and money weren't in the way Canada would be in totally different sphere by now... There are some shocking "call ups" that don't have a club to their name,play no regular games...etc...

However,if TFC or Whitecaps "invested" money to them and they have the agents from the Management Company in California who will push it,they will end up on the roster and then you see the results...

USA just beat Cuba 6:0 which could have happened to Canada vs El Salvador,had El Salvador had some finishing power...

I don't know if Fonseca was saving players from this game for the USA game with subs and tactics but that would be a pretty big strategic error, qualification will be through getting results vs El Salvador and Cuba those are when we need the best performances, not necessarily vs a USA squad that is probably a good deal better than everyone in this group.

Guest soccer1

The problem is that if USA wins the group and Canada possibly sneaks in on goal differential{whoever scores the most goals vs Cuba},they will have to play Mexico,which is like El Salvador "turbo"...

The problem is that if USA wins the group and Canada possibly sneaks in on goal differential{whoever scores the most goals vs Cuba},they will have to play Mexico,which is like El Salvador "turbo"...

The other option is winning the group, which with the US fielding a relatively strong offensive team with more prep and pro experience seems fairly unlikely, we are big dogs vs the US but were probably slight dogs vs ES and favorites vs Cuba. Our best chance going into the tourney would be to get results vs ES and Cuba and then try to pull off an upset vs Mexico or if they slip up then one of the other teams. Look the team at this tourney is not that strong, but if we somehow managed to pull it together and qualify we could actually send a pretty good team to the Olympics, who knows maybe we even get Hoilett to commit (would be a pretty big commercial opportunity)

Very disappointing game... but (as we all too often have to say in Canadian soccer ) at least we got the draw.

This team (at least on paper) is much better than they displayed tonight. The problem for me is the coaching. The tactics, positional selections, substitutions, and especially the formation are what plagued this team tonight. The U-23s looked like a carbon copy of the national team, same problems exactly. We keep playing 4-5-1 with a mentality of "slow the game down" build from the back and hope for the best. The problem with this is that our teams have become over reliant on using the defence to start the attack. It takes the midfield out of the game. The team looked better towards the end when the midfielders were the ones starting the attack forward. The other problem with this formation is that for a team that sticks dogmatically to a lone striker format, we have no one that will cross the ball. In this formation we should be raining in crosses for the striker and attacking mids. In general our mens teams (under Hart's system) seem so afraid to make a defensive mistake that it is preventing them from attacking much at all. Just #$@%ing go for it! A teams defence will usually react well enough when the team is playing attacking football becuase the tempo of the game keeps them focused and performing athletically.

Is there anyone else on here that thinks that playing the ball back to the keeper as much as we do is becoming a major problem? It does nothing but pin us in our own half, stiffle the attack and keep the defence from playing the ball into saftey properly or passing the ball forward when they should be. How many times do the defenders just pass the ball back to the keeper when they could have passed the ball forward and started an attack? When the keeper hoofs the ball up the field it usually leads to a turn over anyway.

The most discouraging thing for me was REB's postgame interview. When they asked him about the USA game, he made it sound like all they were going to do was attempt to contain them and hope for the best. He made the team sound like they were already throwing in the towel.

And you know why,because it isn't politicaly correct to bring them in,they have to be somebody's fromTFC or Whitecaps "favorite pet" or they won't even get called up...There is at least another 2 playersfor every line that are several levelsbetter then what Fonseca "scouted"...

Yes too bad we could not have a team of 11 Andrew Kliments!

I think if we can sort out the LB/RB situation, that will make a world of difference. What surprised me most was how poor our passing out of these positions was. I thought our 2 holding mids did alright, though Alderson was stretched physically but battled and used the ball alright.

Once it was clear we weren't going to get our backs forward much, I was surprised we continued to play Haber on his own up there. How many crosses from open play did we put into the box tonight? I'm guessing REB was brought on to play more like a shadow striker, at least that's what it looked like to me, but in that case I think the roles should have been reversed, REB up high and Haber in the hole.

Misiewicz looked the business in every facet. It's one thing to make those point blank saves in the first half, but the way he commanded his box really impressed me.

I'm very interested in how we'll look v USA. What changes will Fonseca make? I really want to see Saiko, REB, Haber, and Teibert as our attacking 4.

Yup, it's tough being a Canadian soccer fan. Whenever you see hope that Canada is making progress in developing players, we get a smack-down of reality from an opponent that isn't all that great in the big scheme of things. OK, El Salvador did not beat us but I was hoping for much more from this Canadian side. They can't keep the ball, they can't pass, they can't get open. It's not all the fault of the Canadian coaches when the players continue to push the ball too far.

Waiting to see if we're better than Cuba ...

I've really got to stop reading these threads the day after. They are so frustrating:

1) El Salvador is a good team. Please keep that in mind. We have not done anything of note on any stage lately that should give you the impression that we should walk all over teams like them.

2) Why is it that El Salvador was "unlucky" to score on their chances but our deficiencies, particularly on Saiko and El-Masri's chances, are due to not being skilled enough in the final third? Seems like there's a double standard there.

3) Subs were made because every game is as important as the next one. Saiko should be a very important player in the next game, as we have to keep it close against the US. We also need to make sure that all of our top guys are ready for the game against Cuba which is not that far off.

4) Playing a 17 year-old in midfield says absolutely nothing about our depth at this age group. Nor does the fact that we played so many other young guys out there. Qualifying for the Olympics was always going to be a tough task, no matter what team we brought. So, why not use this opportunity to bring our most promising prospects and let them play in this sort of setting? There are a lot of lessons to learn in this tournament and I'd rather it was our best that are exposed to them, no matter how old they are. I remember last qualifying tournament where Ledgerwood kicked it out when a Haitian had gone down hurt, and instead of giving the ball back, the Haitians went down and scored. It's CONCACAF tactics like those that I want our best to be exposed to at as young an age as possible. Bringing a team of 22-23 year olds is a very short sighted approach to something like this.

5) That ref was one of the best ones I've seen from Concacaf.

6) Other than some of the guys that couldn't go because of club commitments, we don't have any other players not there that are significantly better than the guys that are there. There isn't anyone missing that we know for sure could put the team on their back and carry them to victory, so can we stop talking about the one or two player selections you disagree with?

7) I am getting sick of the 4-5-1/4-3-3. At some point, you have to cut bait.

it wasn't a pretty performance for sure but people need to be a bit realistic here. these guys have been together for just over 1 week. this program has had almost zero financial support. If we look disjointed it is because that is what is normal for a team in this position.

I can assure you the El Salvador team is made up primarily of domestic players and they have probably been training together with some decent regularity for a while while also playing regularly for their club teams. They looked like a more together squad, that's for sure.

We have a lot of players on this squad who have not played a high level competitive 90 minute match in a very long time. MLS Pre-season games don't really count

As for playing guys out of position, what choice did Fonseca really have? with no experienced left back to choose from, they opted to insert Tiebert....not a crazy choice all things considered...i know of coaches who believe that would actually be his ideal position but obviously he wasn't totally comfortable there. Stinson must have impressed to vault over Fresenga for starting RB....he did ok in that role for TFC last year (good enough to be considered by Hart as cover at the RB position for the Sr. team during last year's WCQ).

If this team does poorly, it will be unfortunate but it can't be a surprise. The realistic hope all along was that they somehow would get into the semi final (by whatever means necessary) and then hope for a bit of a miracle. They are still on pace for that.

I don't think anyone is saying all of the players are garbage and that we should just pack it in now, but no matter how long these players have been playing together you expect them to be able to string two or three passes together or to not have the touch of a trampoline. Having expectations is a good thing - it keeps people accountable and pushes them to perform. Be realistic, of course, but demand better when, like today, both the performance and the result were lacking.

EDIT: I must admit I have only seen the second half of the match, so that is what I am basing my opinion on. If the first half was entirely different (though that does;t seem to be the case), I 'll accept why others seem to have seen more positives in the team's performance.

I don't think anyone is saying all of the players are garbage and that we should just pack it in now, but no matter how long these players have been playing together you expect them to be able to string two or three passes together or to not have the touch of a trampoline. Having expectations is a good thing - it keeps people accountable and pushes them to perform. Be realistic, of course, but demand better when, like today, both the performance and the result were lacking.

EDIT: I must admit I have only seen the second half of the match, so that is what I am basing my opinion on. If the first half was entirely different (though that does;t seem to be the case), I 'll accept why others seem to have seen more positives in the team's performance.

+1....

One interesting thing to play for, imo, is MLS jobs. Jakovic, Hainault and Johnson were all playing outside MLS in 2008 and all raised their domestic profile. Presumably Beckie's US citizenship will make him a lock for MLS; Bekker, I believe, is still owned by TFC; while Saiko and Misiewicz should be there too if anyone's scouting FC Edmonton. I'd like to see more of El Masri and Frasenga in this regard.

Archived