Canadian Soccer League 2012

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't you just call people with relevant information? Well because by not doing your research and referencing your own exagerations you can detract negatively from a thread about FOOTBALL with psuedo contraversies. You keep yourself ignorant so you can ask dickish questions without your ego realizing their kinda stupid. Well either that or your passive aggressively trying to slander.

BBTB,

I think if the CSL did not receive sanctioning you would have heard: FYI it is business as usual at the CSL and sanctioning was never revoked so no need to seek sanctioning. Apparently there will be a second team from the province of Quebec in the league this year.

dobar dan

BBTB,

I think if the CSL did not receive sanctioning you would have heard: FYI it is business as usual at the CSL and sanctioning was never revoked so no need to seek sanctioning. Apparently there will be a second team from the province of Quebec in the league this year.

dobar dan

Me likey...any idea where in Québec?

A Quebec City franchise has been just around the corner for about five years now so that would probably be the prime suspect. Closer to home you posted a link to this story in the London Free Press about a month ago:

http://canadiansoccerleague.com/newsnet/templates/?a=494&z=32

“There’s a lot on our plate right now, and we want to focus all of our attention on (the First Division team),” Hernandez said, adding a full-fledged academy system is a component of their long-term plans. “Our main concern is to develop players and make London City a winning team again.”

In terms of the main fixings of the organization, such as playing at Cove Road Field and holding open try-outs, fans can expect no big surprises.

“Long story short, we plan on playing there,” Hernandez said of Cove Road, noting it’s not 100 per cent official just yet. “There will be announcement soon about try-outs, too, which should run in early March.”

Did any of that happen? There is still diddlysquat about the 2012 season on City's website.

Guest mianjo

There was a gentleman from Quebec city at one of the Capital City games last year who claimed that he was going to have a Quebec City franchise in the CSL for the 2012 season.

I had a brief conversation with him and he said he had been invited by Neil Maholtra the owner of Capital City to come and look at how things worked at a Capital City game.

There was a gentleman from Quebec city at one of the Capital City games last year who claimed that he was going to have a Quebec City franchise in the CSL for the 2012 season.

I had a brief conversation with him and he said he had been invited by Neil Maholtra the owner of Capital City to come and look at how things worked at a Capital City game.

That's heartening, Capital City had a strong season and did a good job business-wise for a 3rd division club. If the Québec City owner is taking his cues from CCFC with regards to CSL expansion, it could be a real keeper of a club.

Guest mianjo

Capital City have announced that 5 players from last years team have been offered professional contracts with other teams in US/Canada/Europe.

Captain Clint Irwin, striker Akil DeFreitas, Midfielder Kenny Caceros, forward Nate Foster and defender Ladi Bushiri have all been offered contracts by professional clubs from in Canada, the United States, and Europe.

http://www.capitalcityfc.com/news/index.html?article_id=104

Capital City have announced that 5 players from last years team have been offered professional contracts with other teams in US/Canada/Europe.

http://www.capitalcityfc.com/news/index.html?article_id=104

Best of luck to all those guys. Clint Irwin is an excellent goal-keeper. And I look forward to seeing Caceros with FC Edmonton.

Anyone know when the schedule comes out? They sure are taking their time.

Only if they were on multi-year contracts otherwise they would be Bosman free transfers. Looks like the schedule will be announced online some time this month according to CCFC's 2012 season ticket page:

https://secure1.gettickets.ca/Redeem/Regular/SelectTickets.aspx?id=c4feecdc-906e-447d-89ef-5cb891e72112&locale=en-CA&previewPin=08683d8b-c5b4-4e18-bb0e-1fdd9f177333

so not too long to wait to find out what has been unfolding behind the scenes over the winter. This link also may be of interest to some on here:

http://www.capitalcityfc.com/news/index.html?article_id=103

Harris says the core of the team will remain the same but he will look to add 6-8 new players to the line-up as well as establish a reserve program. The team has already locked up “top” Canadian talent, but Harris wouldn’t give any names.

“I think it’s always important to look forward and make sure you can get the best possible players you can. We’re definitely going to have a lot more depth than we did last year,” he says.

I would tryout, but I have this "beer gut" that gets in the way of my running and stuff...

Organizing an open tryout for a soccer team definitely provides an insight into how delusional some people are. Been there done that in London albeit at a less exalted level. :) I suspect there will be a few beer gut types showing up. My main reason for posting that though was that it is an indication that something is actually happening in 2012 where City are concerned. Will be interesting to see if the new guys are actually serious about running things in a manner that fits the CSA's D3 sanctioning standards and if they are what unfolds.

Organizing an open tryout for a soccer team definitely provides an insight into how delusional some people are. Been there done that in London albeit at a less exalted level. :) I suspect there will be a few beer gut types showing up. My main reason for posting that though was that it is an indication that something is actually happening in 2012 where City are concerned. Will be interesting to see if the new guys are actually serious about running things in a manner that fits the CSA's D3 sanctioning standards and if they are what unfolds.

One thing that piques my interest; the tryouts are at TD Waterhouse. Could it be that they're going to play in a stadium, and not a swamp anymore? I might actually enjoy going to that...

Wouldn't read anything into that. Practicing outdoors on grass in late March is usually not feasible in London so if you have the money to pay the rental TD Waterhouse is probably the best bet for something like that at this time of year. I won't be anywhere near London this summer so this doesn't affect me directly in any way but I would have thought the German Club was way better for spectators if only because of the lack of a running track and Mustangs football team related field markings and also because it's better to keep money within the soccer community with one of the social clubs that actively fosters our sport rather than handing it over to UWO where soccer has always been and remains very much an afterthought.

Wouldn't read anything into that. Practicing outdoors on grass in late March is usually not feasible in London so if you have the money to pay the rental TD Waterhouse is probably the best bet for something like that at this time of year.

I'd've thought the BMO Centre would be cheaper, but I'll confess I'm no expert on facility rentals in London.

I won't be anywhere near London this summer so this doesn't affect me directly in any way but I would have thought the German Club was way better for spectators if only because of the lack of a running track and Mustangs football team related field markings and also because it's better to keep money within the soccer community with one of the social clubs that actively fosters our sport rather than handing it over to UWO where soccer has always been and remains very much an afterthought.

I can understand that, specifically in the context of supporting the soccer community instead of a University that undervalues its varsity soccer program. I'm not entirely convinced that football lines and a track dissuade fans from coming because FC London always drew more than City while they played at UWO, but whatever.

I'd almost prefer the club move to Beal or Central than continue at The Cove, not because of any particular hatred of the German Club, but rather because of the swampiness of Cove Road. I would estimate that over half of the species of insect I've seen in my life I've seen for the first and only time at Cove Road during City matches. :P

I also believe that having the matches played downtown would do a lot for attendance, considering the success of the Knights and Lightning attendance wise at the JLC. I'm predicting London Rippers may draw quite well at Labatt Park if they can successfully tap into the crowds that attended Monarchs games. You know, "location, location, location" and all that.

On the BMO Centre thing I suspect the problem would be that the only free time they would have would be at a very unattractive time of day because their various league programs would have all the best time slots booked solid. I sometimes used to book the old rollerskate rink at the North London Optimist Centre at Cheapside and Highbury when doing something indoors was the only option but it's far from ideal which was probably why it tended to be readily available at a reasonable price.

I agree location can help but I thought the Monarchs drew well once for their season opener and were only getting a few dozen people as paid attendance by the end? There was a reason why that league didn't make it through to the end of its first season after all. The Werewolves had similar sparse attendance any time I walked past when they were playing. If they could get a AA team in there again though like the Tigers I suspect it would be a different story. It's an entertainment product after all and as the standard drops so does the number of people that are ever likely to attend.

I think the reality is in a similar sort of way that the CSL is not going to pull in a huge crowd in a London context. As the years pass and the novelty wears off I suspect FC London's crowds will also trend downwards if they don't make the move to USL Pro and a more fully pro and continental type of schedule. Would have thought that more could be done at the North London fields off Adelaide in terms of having a municipal soccer facility and a miniature SSS with no Canadian football style crown to the field or markings if the German Club is not to people's tastes but is it really that bad and out of the way? Some well known European clubs like Dinamo Zagreb and Maritimo have played there over the years in front of low four figure crowds. It may be hidden away but people definitely seem to have been able to find it alright when there has been a high calibre soccer team in town.

Any truth to the CSL 1st division being split up into 2 conferences??

I heard side A would include the likes of London City, Windsor Stars, Waterloo SC, Brantford Galaxy, St. Catherines Wolves, Niagara United, Mississauga Eages, and Brampton United

side B would include TFC, SC Toronto, Serbian White Eagles, Toronto Croatia, North York Astros, York Shooters, Kingston, Montreal Impact

any truth to this??

Capital City won't be participating this year.

http://www.capitalcityfc.com/news/index.html?article_id=106

Capital City FC has made the decision not participate in 2012 because of concerns with the league’s vision moving forward.

“I have a great deal of pride in what Capital City was able to accomplish on and off the field in 2011 and I don’t want to see that end. However, we are not convinced we can accomplish all of our goals in the Canadian Soccer League at this time,” according to President Neil Malhotra.

The CSL is really that much of a joke?

I'm personally disappointed.

Archived