45,000 plus fans at Canadian MLS game / gotta love it !!!

Go TFC

This is not a MLS match.......I do hope they hit 50,000 if they have the capacity .....after all Leafs, Blue Jays and Raptor players usually refuse to participate in a playoff game, none since the Raptors a few years ago ,2008 I think.

It's nice to see TFC break off the tradition.

I hope TFC wins, and takes the cup! I cannot think of the reaction of Argentines if I could tell them MY CANADIAN CLUB is going to Japan; Velez and Boca supporters love telling everyone that they have been to Japan (for the Club World Cup). It either would demoralize them or impress them to know TFC also booked a trip ;). One step at a time, today is the big day!

Wow, you are really getting ahead of yourself. Toronto has very little chance of taking the whole thing. Just getting by LA would be huge.

Naahhh. Toronto has several hours left to find a famous Brazilian player who will just happen to play for them for free.

Hours!

A great day spoiled by Sportsnet's continuous ass-licking of David Beckham. "BECKHAM CAM!!" "BECKHAM INTERVIEW!!"

I almost forgot Toronto was playing.

Here is transcript from last night's broadcast:

Beckham! Streamers! Beckham! Streamers! Beckham! Beckham! Streamers! Keane! Beckham! Streamers! Beckham! Streamers! Streamers! Sexy Undies! Streamers! Beckham! Beckham! Beckham! Posh! Streamers!

© 2012 Sportsnet

There will be over 50000 for the Montreal home opener. Pretty nice!

Is that condirmed?

Soccer despite my concerns about BMO and TFC in the beginnings has had made a huge step forward.

3 teams drawing huge crowds..........wow. It was the classic Field of Dreams...if you build it....

Lynx used to draw flies, Impact and Caps........okay at much smaller venues and we thought that was great.

Is that condirmed?

Soccer despite my concerns about BMO and TFC in the beginnings has had made a huge step forward.

3 teams drawing huge crowds..........wow. It was the classic Field of Dreams...if you build it....

Lynx used to draw flies, Impact and Caps........okay at much smaller venues and we thought that was great.

Yup this is confirmed by the Impact. I'd be surprised if we don't see a sellout at the point. Should be an amazing day!

Yup this is confirmed by the Impact. I'd be surprised if we don't see a sellout at the point. Should be an amazing day!

Fantastic news. What a start for the year for Canadian teams. 47k in Toronto, 50k in Montreal, 2.5 million watching Impact vs the Caps.

Well fought match by IMFC. If only that shot near the end of injury time had gone in, that would have been a sensational ending.

MLS refereeing in full force, thought it was terrible. Head office says they want to crack down on physical play: that's only going to work if the refs don't miss the first three obvious fouls before pulling out the yellow card on the fourth one when guys go crazy after the missed calls.

So nearly 59,000 at the Big Owe, a week after a sold out crowd in Vancouver, nearly 48,000 at a sold out Skydome in Toronto & record national tv ratings. I don't understand this - the likes of Dave Perkins and Bob McCown, experts in the media, have repeatedly said that domestic soccer is not popular in Canada and would never fly, and since they are experts deemed by the media as worth listening to, how can they possibly be so incredibly wrong about this?

I think I have the answer. It must be that their opinions on soccer are worth as much of that of a quadriplegic elderly male yak with a chronic bladder problem.

I think I have the answer. It must be that their opinions on soccer are worth as much of that of a quadriplegic elderly male yak with a chronic bladder problem.

I dont think its that to be honnest. I believe that it is that they understand and see their roles as having an ability to influence public opinion by using topics of discussion and editorial content to influence the public consciousness and sway support towards sports events of their prefferance. Which in this case is mostly baseball and its done by Talking baseball and writing about baseball. In a market of six mill with multiple sporting options you need to be in the public consciousness or you become like the Lynx. Even for me, i had to look up when the next lynx game was played.

If you think back to the early nineties, you might recall the frequently peddled notion that was being bandied around suggesting that TO was baseball town now and no longer a hockey town. This is a debate that they (these types) started frequently and there were a lot people (traditionalist and so forth) whose ears turned red at this notion. McCown used to work for the blue jays and perkins is now a score keeper for the game. There are others who are the same as these two. IMO, they are shills for certain sports and see their roles as that as well. Notice how the venom of their critcism is stronger towards the Leafs compared to the Jays. TFC came around at a time when the Jays were hitting rock bottom in regards to being topical. Until the competition with media giants heated up, hockey discussion content was also in serious decline on PTS, but when there is a rating war, you fight it with Hockey hockey and more hockey; these guys do have bosses afterall.

They saw what happened to the Argos when MLB arrived (and what happened to the allouettes when MLB arrived.. And then vis versa) and they were verry likely concerned that the financial backing of MLSEL would not help the efforts to bring baseball to where it was in the nineties. Thats the only way to compete with the Yankees. Hence, you saw those series articles with misinformation towards soccers in the city and how it failed in the past. And you saw critcism about use of public funds for BMO field but an about face when the same came up for Public financing of pan am games facilities that woud ultimately benefit the CFL. Right there, is the ultimate hypocracy!

I recall world cup 1998 whereby Perkins was assigned to cover it from France. He wrote some very informative pieces. You certainly did hear or get a sence of A soccer neophite at all. And, i know that i heard some tidbits about soccer on pts from mccown, suggesting that he really understands the game far better than many on his panel including Brundt. I believe that the two you are aluding to (as well as several others) could cover and write about the game ( including the local scene) and be very credible. That is, if they wanted to.

I am ok with people having preferance for certain sports or games and i am ok if you hate soccer. But a big story is big story (like the crowd that have come out see soccer in canada for the past 3 weeks) you cant tototally ignore that if you call yourself as persons who works in the media. The media was meant to report and talk about thinks that public cares or should care about. It was never meant to help sell tickets for one organization atbthe expense of another.

PS.: we often talk about the same two people but there are many others as well. And this is uniquely a toronto problem. You dont see this in Montreal or Vancouver because the competitive lanscape is differnce.

Archived