GDT - Armenia v. Canada [R]

Sébastien

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rough second half - Jackson also look frustrated out there. Gets the ball and tries to do too much. I'm not going to read too much into this match, except to say that DeGuz looked good, as did McKenna. Hutch is getting back to his old self, which is great. We have some weakness in defense but a bigger problem creating chances and getting shots.

Both keepers made some solid stops, came out well, and cannot really be faulted on any goals tonight.

The good

Canada's first 20 minutes

Ricketts in the first half

Hutch looking a bit more comfortable in the 2nd (giveaway not withstanding)

Armenian fans who made the trip

meaningless game

The bad

The last 70 minutes of the game

Looking for fouls (Canada could only generate offense from set pieces)

Ledgerwood/DeGuz

The ugly

Straith's passing

Canada's # of attempts on goal

Kluka

Jackson alone up front

the weather

Disgusting preformance.

The body language of the players in the 2nd half said it all. Giving the ball away is one thing but not working hard to get it back is another.

Also, ZERO creativity. So how did everyone enjoy how the team attacked without DeRosario? That is one guy I hope is healthy for us in WCQ, if not pray that Jono can suit up for us.

No one has balls on this team. We need a guy who can take control, has an attitude and and won't roll over. This was a disgusting, meek performance. The things

they were doing wrong had nothing to do with team cohesiveness. Lame first touches. Weak passing, outta position, basic communication on a

football 101 level. Bright spots I thought were goalkeeping (even that is a stretch) and corners. Some pretty decent balls into the box.

Let's not forget that this wasn't even our best team out there, unlike Armenia.

C'mon, do we really need to trot out this excuse? It's not even really a fact either, with the exception of a couple of players that might have helped we really had a full team out there.

Armenia aren't even that great of a team, but they executed a strong defensive counter plan to perfection and beat us 3-1. When we're playing against Honduras and Panama next round we can expect a similar look from them (if their coaches do their job) and if we don't have an answer for it we're screwed.

Another thing I want to highlight. Armenia adjusted to us after the first few minutes, but we never ONCE adjusted to them. Is this because the players do not have the soccer IQ to make adjustments throughout the game? Or should the coach be blamed for not recognizing issues and adjusting accordingly?

Another thing I want to highlight. Armenia adjusted to us after the first few minutes, but we never ONCE adjusted to them. Is this because the players do not have the soccer IQ to make adjustments throughout the game? Or should the coach be blamed for not recognizing issues and adjusting accordingly?
it was more like collective lapse in concentration more than anything.

let's hope JDG2 and JH didn't see this game. that'd do no good to convince them to suit up for Canada

Hi guys,

As jpg noted, once Armenia figured out that they just had to put consistent pressure on the Canadian player with the ball the game started going their way and it only took about 20-30 minutes for them to figure this out.

Stephen Hart seems like a really nice man but is a bit of a one-trick pony tactically. He preaches possession and his emphasis on square passes among defenders in the Canadian half is great as long as Canada is playing minnows and teams not smart enough to apply pressure.

Once the opposition clues in, Hart rarely if ever adjust tactics and Canadian players usually cough up possession easily, lump the ball forward and/or don't support one another off the ball for more passing options.

Hart needs to learn to adjust to other teams tactics otherwise we can and will be picked apart by the big boys.

Having said that, Canada can play better than this with some more of their top players and more time together to gel. They will be in for a dogfight however to make it to the next round of WCQ. Honduras and Panama will be tough to get points from especially in Central America. I don't rate Cuba that highly but they could be a stumbling block if we fail to score as many goals and points against them as Panama and Honduras do.

This team has a long way to go and no guarantees of getting past the next round and Hart's tactical naivety won't make qualifying any easier.

romurra aka David Carmichael

What a joke of a performance, and this has been going on since the gold cup, we flat out can't create any chances. The defenders today were a complete joke. McKenna scored a goal which is great but his defensive game sucks. McKenna, Edgar, and especially Klukowski did nothing good in the defensive zone, constantly getting caught out of position, i don't think any of them won a one on one battle, heck i dont think they even made any tackles, just constantly backing up. horrible defenders and midfield. Felt sorry for Jackson, he must have been bored out of his mind.

My friends... it was unbelieveble today... this way, this is going nowhere...

1 - At line up - 2 Defensive Midfielders and Atiba with nº10 mission (poor ATiba) - wrong

2 - 1st half - to much back passing

3 - Half-time - no field substitutions with Armenia over us...

4 - First Substitutions - Josh out - best player on field

5 - Players in - did not help or change anything to our problems until then

6 - Not using Pacheco - only decent offensive midfielder and did not left the bench (I only saw Canada playing some good offensive soccer against Venezuela and Belarus when this guy was on the starting eleven - and everybody keep saying that it's missing decent offensive game since EVER...)

7 - Last substitution at the 89th minute and not even with this was given Piette the chance of accomplishing is 1st cap... - poor boy

And That´s all .... for now...

I mean; it has been discussed to the death on these boards. I think Grizzly has worded it extremely well but essentially Hart is painfully out of his depth regarding all elements of managing this team. You cannot just think a certain system is effective and essentially apply it to any talent pool. It doesn't work like that. You must use what you have at your disposal and get the best out of your resources. That is what the best managers do. No team situation is exactly the same; not one.

To have our squad play short balls at the back is a nightmare. As mentioned NUMEROUS times; any team that applies pressure to our back four and our midfield will have ample opportunities throughout 90 minutes. It is shocking that Hart does not make any tactical adjustments. For example, when McKenna is pressured at the back, what are his options? He can smack it out of bounds and lose possession. He can bomb it down field to a lone striker, who is never favourite. He can make a high risk pass to another defender who is most likely not technically capable to distribute properly. Or he can find a midfielder who will have his back to the opposing goal and will most likely be pressured to give the ball away (either the midfielders' movement isn't positive enough to create more space for themselves and/or others, or their first touch lets them down).

Unfortunately we do not have the defenders with the distributional capabilities. I believe all of us as Canadian supporters over-estimate a lot of our pools' talent. Sad but true. At this point I think our squad should worry more about getting results than playing pretty football, because sadly, it isn't going to happen. Something needs to change. I am NOT impressed with Hart. I was NOT impressed with Canada against the minnows in the qualifying. We are going to have a rude awakening in the next stage of qualifying when we are unable to put in the ball in the net and eliminated after the first few matches. My biggest fear is Hart being reactive instead of proactive. This unfortunately seems almost certain.

So all this bickering, and what is the solution? Making this comment with as much rationale as possible; we need to make a coaching change immediately (yes I know we lost to Armenia without our full squad, but this isn't about one match). We need someone who is going to open this team up. At this point, I'd revert to an entirely different system of playing very organized football at the back with a long ball-type strategy with two strikers. Our midfielder is certainly not creative enough to send daggers through defensive set-ups. The on and off the ball movement today and in recent matches, says it all.

I have played at a relatively high level myself and I know what some of these players go through. In the back of their mind, they know what the coach wants. He wants short balls, possession, and pretty football. You make adjustments that you are not comfortable with but you are doing it to 'satisfy the system'. Sometimes it just doesn't bloody work. And from what I've seen, it does not work and is NOT going to work.

Like I said, I really respect Grizzlys' insight on this matter and maybe he can word it more elegantly.

Change, please.

No one has balls on this team. We need a guy who can take control, has an attitude and and won't roll over. This was a disgusting, meek performance. The things

they were doing wrong had nothing to do with team cohesiveness. Lame first touches. Weak passing, outta position, basic communication on a

football 101 level. Bright spots I thought were goalkeeping (even that is a stretch) and corners. Some pretty decent balls into the box.

i think stamatoupulos showed tenacity , intensity and personality he made a match winning saved after the 1-2 a one on one should start at Q for me

I enjoy a possession game, and it pays at times to stick to your guns but I have massive doubts about us having the players and training we need to implement the style we want. The backpasses and things are proof of it.

Everything (or at least a lot of things) have to be firing on all cylinders before the type of game we want to play can come off. Not only does the backline have to be composed and good on the ball, the mids have to continuously show for the ball and open up passing lanes.

That being said, I don't care how you re-arrange the players we have, I see our ceiling potential as pretty low. Not that this should prevent us from giving Armenia a competitive game or beating them if everything was running properly...

Its been awhile since I have written but WHY do all of you act surprised when we lose and lose bad? Its been years and years (except 2000) of major disappointments, and sometimes we dont even show up. There were no attacking the opposition, letting their players pass the ball with ease. The defence, which in the past few years has been our strong suit, but lets say the last year has been miserable. This team has talent, but theres never any chemistry. Blame the CSA, or blame the scheduling, but you dont see other countries whining about not getting games. Honestly, we keep sending a half team to play exhib games and when it matters (WCQ, not GC) we look no better than India. I mean seriously, this team needs a revamp but now is too late. If ANY of you really think Canada will make it out of the next round with these kind of performances, no matter the team, its gonna be a looooooooooooooooong 2012. Good thing for Dec 12th...lol I do pray that we step it up big time, because Honduras and Panama will walk ALL OVER this team. There is nothing more than to see my team play here in Sao Paulo for the World Cup. And if that happens, you guys will be looking for me for tickets!!.....lol

I am a tried and tested supporter of our Soccer program; however, losing to Armenia offers little to be happy about. They are one of the minnows of UEFA and i actually find it embarrassing that we were beaten so convincingly.

I hope we can improve for the start of WC qualifying

Whats there to say that hasn't been said?

Seemed like they were better prepared for us than we were for them or they were able to adjust to us better than we could to them

Either way, it shows yet another quality we lack as a team on the international stage.

Maybe it is the coach for not giving the players the proper instructions, or the players need to take responsibility as well. I mean Armenia didn't wait till half time to get instructions on how to adjust to our game and players. And we can't really blame Hart for the individual mistakes also now can we? All in all, I hope both the players and coaching staff take this a little more seriously than they appear to be on the post game interviews... Every opportunity to play and be exposed like this MUST be taken as a chance to correct the wrongs for the games that count. OR else... well...

Archived