Away supporter ticket prices at BMO Field

SteveBeau

I have just come across info indicating that the ticket prices for away supporters for the Oct. 20th match at BMO Field TFC Vs Impact are 39$ !! The V-Cup tickets on May 9th are 24$ for away support..

Why such a price hike? Isn't Don Garber and MLS' strategy to facilitate supporter culture and road trips? Anybody know what the reason for this exaggerated price?

Just to compare here are prices for away support at other stadiums:

NYRB: 20 $

DCU: 22,50 $

PHI: 20 $

That's the price for the rest of that general area, I believe.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Montreal is considered a "premium" home game by TFC, especially given that it's the final regular season home game of the season. Face value on single tickets for the premium games (usually the home opener and closer, plus LA and the current MLS Cup champ) is higher than normal games.

As far as i know, its been like this since the second year (and possible even the first year). When i would receive my season tickets, i recall going through the ticket booklet and noticing the discrepancy in the face value on each ticket. There were two or three ranges of prices. Yes, the games versus LA were always the highest tier.. The more i think about it, I dont think that 39 bucks is out of line. I'd have to double check but i believe that some past tickets even in 113 may have had that face value in the high thirties or even fourties. .

Whatever the reason is 39$ is ridiculous, especially considering the view we get at the top of section 104 is pretty sh*tty anyways..Highest priced away support tickets in MLS by far. TFC's FO has been extremely difficult to deal with compared to other teams FO's for away support..

I guess TFC is afraid of a bunch of Montrealers showing up and spoiling their party...

Before you go thinking you're special understand that the first and last home games are designated as "premium" every season regardless of who the opponent is. As Rudi says, the face value on the away supporter tickets will be the same as on every other ticket in that section.

Would love to see the reaction if TFC fans were charged $39 bucks to sit on top of the Big O. Regular price or not, premium or not, total rip off.

No one said it wasn't expensive, although the top of the Big O is much, much further from the field than where away supporters are put at BMO Field, so it's hardly the same thing.

And the point was that you guys will be paying the same as TFC supporters that sit nearby. I'd be much more annoyed if TFC gave away supporters a discount over its own fans.

No one said it wasn't expensive, although the top of the Big O is much, much further from the field than where away supporters are put at BMO Field, so it's hardly the same thing.

And the point was that you guys will be paying the same as TFC supporters that sit nearby. I'd be much more annoyed if TFC gave away supporters a discount over its own fans.

Away supporters for any team and at any stadium should be given comparable seating at comparable prices to home supporters. That should be opposite end from the home supporters and no premium charged because they are calling it a premium game. MLS should require all teams to do this if they really want to build away support like they claim.

At present TFC are being dicks to the away supporters by putting them in the crappiest overpriced seats in the stadium. It is shades of the Cascadia teams trying to limit away support or the Caps charging a premium in their own supporters section (yes the Caps were being even worse by being dicks to their own supporters). If the league lets TFC be dicks to away supporters then fine but I hope the Impact and every other team follow suit and put TFC supporters in crappy overpriced sections as well. I also hope teams that do stuff like this realize that they are risking groups of away supporters buying tickets in other parts of the stadium where there will be less control of the situation.

Actually some teams could make some good money by charging the TFC away support extra. I suspect that the same people defending TFC here will be the ones whining the loudest if that occurs.

Away supporters for any team and at any stadium should be given comparable seating at comparable prices to home supporters. That should be opposite end from the home supporters and no premium charged because they are calling it a premium game. MLS should require all teams to do this if they really want to build away support like they claim.

At present TFC are being dicks to the away supporters by putting them in the crappiest overpriced seats in the stadium. It is shades of the Cascadia teams trying to limit away support or the Caps charging a premium in their own supporters section (yes the Caps were being even worse by being dicks to their own supporters). If the league lets TFC be dicks to away supporters then fine but I hope the Impact and every other team follow suit and put TFC supporters in crappy overpriced sections as well. I also hope teams that do stuff like this realize that they are risking groups of away supporters buying tickets in other parts of the stadium where there will be less control of the situation.

Actually some teams could make some good money by charging the TFC away support extra. I suspect that the same people defending TFC here will be the ones whining the loudest if that occurs.

I don't agree with some of the choices our team has made about accommodating away supporters but I don't get what the problem is here. People seem to be making up something to be upset about. The premium game thing isn't something that was just made up now and it applies to local people buying single game tickets too.

Tickets in section 104 (light grey) *are* comparable to south end seats (yellow) in the supporters sections. They are the two cheapest categories at BMO Field. Tickets in 104 may be crappy (matter of personal opinion) but they are far from the being the most overpriced tickets in the stadium. Just look at a seating map.

Actually if you're being quoted $39 for Section 104 that's actually lower than the 2012 premium game face value of $46 (plus TM charges).

If your argument is that TFC tickets are too expensive I don't think many here will disagree with you. If your argument is that you're being singled out for unfair treatment on pricing you're really working overtime to get offended since it clearly isn't true.

Also, section 104 at BMO seems to have a pretty comparable view to where we always get seats at Saputo already.

If you think I was "defending" TFC by merely pointing out that they charge away supporters the same as everyone else in similar sections of the same stadium, then I'm not sure there's a point in arguing this with you.

TFC tickets are amongst the highest in the league, and TFC supporters are the most cognizant of that fact. So it comes as no surprise to anybody who supports TFC that away supporters will pay a relatively high ticket price.

EDIT: Soldeed's point up above about section 104 being equally priced to the south end is a good one.

Also, the premium game thing is not new, it's been around since year one and applies to EVERYONE in the stadium. I'm not sure why away supporters think they should get a better deal than the home supporters.

. but I don't get what the problem is here. People seem to be making up something to be upset about.

Yes. This was my immediate reaction when i first saw this thread.

Prices are based on supply and demand. Is this such a hard concept to underderstand? There are some 22k seats available and they are pretty much all spoken for through season ticket sales which makes up approx 75-80 percent). Are out of town visitors expecting a deal just because they are from out town? Should i expect a venue (theatre or other) in new york city to make special deal for me just because i am a tourist or from out of town.

Aren't season tickets in the south end 399$ for 19 games? Averages out to 21$ a game. I understand that season ticket holders get a lower average cost per game but 39$ is almost double that, how is that comparable?

You paying the face value of a ticket. Which is what you get at retail. Here is an idea, if you guys dont like the price and dont want to deal with the club, then go to ticketmaster. :)

Edit: ticketmaster is not selling the tickets for that game yet but idid a seach at their link below and clicked on the price range tab and it states that the range for a ticket at that game is $49.50-$238.50. The 49.50 price includes 8.50 service charge so the real price is $41.00. Sounds to me like you guys are getting a deal :)

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/10004842BCDD8022?artistid=1110670&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=11

Aren't season tickets in the south end 399$ for 19 games? Averages out to 21$ a game. I understand that season ticket holders get a lower average cost per game but 39$ is almost double that, how is that comparable?

If you want the season ticket holder price then buy a season ticket.

Of course you're not going to get the same as a season ticket holder, nobody does. What you get is the same as anybody else buying a single game ticket. Or *less* as the actual case turns out to be. I'm not seeing why somebody from Montreal buying a single ticket to a single game in Toronto thinks they should be paying less than somebody from Toronto buying a single ticket to a single game.

At present TFC are being dicks to the away supporters by putting them in the crappiest overpriced seats in the stadium. It is shades of the Cascadia teams trying to limit away support or the Caps charging a premium in their own supporters section (yes the Caps were being even worse by being dicks to their own supporters). .

But they are not crappy tickets. You have good vantage point in 104, its better than behind the nets and you are paying the same price as people in 113 and 114.

Ok, tell you what if you guys want a deal, i sell you my ticket in 113 for that game. Its behind the net. I'll cut you a special deal for fellow voyageurs, $38.50. :)

If you want the season ticket holder price then buy a season ticket.

Of course you're not going to get the same as a season ticket holder, nobody does. What you get is the same as anybody else buying a single game ticket. Or *less* as the actual case turns out to be. I'm not seeing why somebody from Montreal buying a single ticket to a single game in Toronto thinks they should be paying less than somebody from Toronto buying a single ticket to a single game.

We are not buying single game tickets, we are making a group purchase and a quite large group purchase at that (TFC group purchase rates start at 20 tickets, ie. a similar amount of tickets to what a season ticket holder would purchase). Group purchases have a significant discount.

Second we are not making a normal group purchase in which we decide where we want to sit. We are being told where we have to sit and given a whole lot of other conditions and restrictions concerning our attendance that regular ticket purchasers do not have to abide by. And no the view from the top corner of 104 is not very good unless the play happens to be in the corner nearest to the stand. I also do not think TFC management would be very happy if I took FK up on his offer to come sit in 113.

Third it is a BS money grab to call this a premium game. Indeed the main reason they can call it a premium game is because of the rivalry which owes a lot to away fans showing up. If there are no away fans can they really call it a premium game? There are a lot of MLS teams who are not going to charge us inflated ticket prices that we can make road trips to instead. Especially since we will already have been to Toronto once for the VC game which apparently is not a premium game even though it is the same two teams in a more important match.

Third it is a BS money grab to call this a premium game. Indeed the main reason they can call it a premium game is because of the rivalry which owes a lot to away fans showing up. If there are no away fans can they really call it a premium game? There are a lot of MLS teams who are not going to charge us inflated ticket prices that we can make road trips to instead. Especially since we will already have been to Toronto once for the VC game which apparently is not a premium game even though it is the same two teams in a more important match.

They are not just charging just you the premium price, they are charging everyone, home and away fans the premium price. If there were absolutely no away fans they would still be charging a premium for this game. The exact same seats would still be sold at the exact same price to Toronto fans.

It has nothing to do with you being away fans, it has to do with how much Toronto charges for it tickets prices to everyone.

Archived