CIS - TFC/MI/WFC links? - The11.ca article

ThiKu

http://the11.ca/2012/02/20/whitecaps-beat-cis-champs-but-more-links-are-needed/

I really like this article because it raises a good point. If the bottom end of the draft is cannon fodder anyway why not skip those selections and bring in some CIS players. Not sure how MLS rules work - would they have to "discover" the players? Can they simply invite them as free agents?

It seems every year or so there are 1 or 2 supp or late superdraft picks that stick (Boxall, Plata) but otherwise they are here and gone before the season starts.

CIS could be a potentially massive resource, especially as it can offer, generally, such an excellent education as well.

Does anybody know when Pat Onstad actually played for UBC? I definitely remember him being in one of my classes around 93-94. Wikipedia says he was playing with the T-Birds from 85-87 -which makes sense given that he already was playing in the CSL in the late 80s/early 90s. But the same wikipedia also says he was CIS player of the year in 1994 -consistent with my recollection of Pat as the leader of the UBC soccer dynasty while I was there.

http://the11.ca/2012/02/20/whitecaps-beat-cis-champs-but-more-links-are-needed/Not sure how MLS rules work - would they have to "discover" the players? Can they simply invite them as free agents?.

They could bring them in as trialists which costs nothing. If they like them, then they sign.

But the point the article doesn't mention is that NCAA players with great resumes, and are drafted, are now getting quickly cut from MLS squads. It is getting harder to make a MLS squad. So a CIS player would have even more of an uphill battle.

Yes CIS players have an uphill battle. But if these American NCAA guys are getting dumped so quickly might as well look at players like UVIC had this year - the one at FCE now and the other who played v. Caps .... Hundal?.....

Can't hurt....

^Not good enough. MLS is becoming more world-wide and the bottom-end player is getting better and better as clubs scour South/Central America for players now....

Which is why Opie made the comment he did about CIS players. BUT, if they are going to have all those draft rounds, but cut 99% (not scientific rating!) of those kids that are usually age 21-22 why not bring in CIS players that are age 18-19 that had standout years instead? If nothing else you can invite them to a local PDL team or some such to keep an eye on them?

It's strange to me that the three Canadian MLS teams spend more time looking at american players in the NCAA than they do CIS players in their own backyard. I've watched a fair bit of CIS soccer the past 4 years and I'd put our best against the top US college teams any day of the week. I'm in Edmonton and I've watched UVic, UBC, UofA. I don't think they'd look out of place against anybody in the NCAA.

It's always going to be a huge jump to go from CIS/NCAA soccer to the pros, especially MLS but our best CIS players have just as much ability as the best NCAA players. The CIS championships prove that year after year, don't they? I'm Excited that FCE went after Gigolaj after the nationals. He was amazing and he's still so young. This kid would be a star at any NCAA school. I hope he tears it up in the NASL this year. Why any MLS team wouldn't have been taking a look at him is beyond me. Oops... Oh well, I'm glad FCE took a look.

The best CIS schools would not do well against the best American schools. No way. Just think of it this way. Nowadays top NCAA schools are loading up on USSDA players, while Canadian schools are obviously not. Then think about this - the best Canadian clubs are generally going to get smoked by most USSDA clubs. It's purely a numbers thing. Huge population v. small population.

Some CIS schools are very good. The ones you mentioned are good examples! So a more accurate statement would be "I'd say the TOP players on the top CIS schools would be able to go head to head and compete as a player on (good to top) NCAA schools." CIS definitely has some good players - but the best judge will be how many get signed out of the USL Pro and NASL combines. If a bunch get signed then we'll get an idea.....I imagine a lot of NCAA players are at those combines. (speaking of which I will go to the official sites and see what they say).

Gigolaj has been signed for FCE and people are talking up Hundal big time by the sounds of it. I imagine both can play NASL and that's a fair expectation of our best CIS players.

EDIT: Not sure where exactly things are at, but having gone through the USL Pro site I didn't see any recent combine signings. Though they interviewed a Toronto Lynx trialist, which was nice to see. This kids bro plays for Dayton so he hopes to sign there but hadn't heard anything. Dayton did sign 3 players via a local trial, but seemingly not through the combine.

The NASL site also doesn't seem to indicate any signings but it's "early doors"....

Archived