Armenia Roster Predictions/Call-Ups

Keegan

@Keegan - Yes, Edgar did well at RB, but CB is his natural/normal spot. Straith has played and played well at RB for Canada. He's also young and who knows....makes a bit of a career-upward swing and he's got that spot locked-down for years to come??

@VAdonna - YES! Hume should almost always be in the side as starter or sub.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@Keegan - Yes, Edgar did well at RB, but CB is his natural/normal spot. Straith has played and played well at RB for Canada. He's also young and who knows....makes a bit of a career-upward swing and he's got that spot locked-down for years to come??

@VAdonna - YES! Hume should almost always be in the side as starter or sub.

Straith and Edgar are both natural CBs who have played right back, the reason I put Edgar at RB is because I remember him playing RB for Burnley vs. Norwich in the FA Cup.

Key Phrase is assumes a new nationality, De Guzman renounced his Canadian citizenship to get Dutch in 2008 and is not Canadian. This states after gaining another nationality De Guzman can play for another nation IF (lists scenarios he can play for another nation). People are often confused that this means players can play for X nation if they meet these qualifications, it’s incorrect, players must have citizenship AND meet those qualifications. De Guzman doesn’t have Canadian citizenship (or at least can’t reveal that publically just yet because of his Dutch situation), so he can’t play for us just yet.

You need to be a citizen to play for any nation, even Marc Bircham is a Canadian citizen.

It might bear mentioning that Article 17 only serves to demonstrate how JDG2 was able to play for Holland... which I guess was kind of your point.

Interview with OO (in french):

http://lesoccerplus.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/soccerplusextra-9-fc3a9vrier-2012-olivier-occean.mp3

He confirms he'll be in Cyprus to play Armenia.

He also said that Toronto is a good choice for the 3 WCQ and the players feel more at home in Toronto (he then gave the example of the 2008 Honduras game in MTL when the players felt they were playing away). He also noted the Canadian fans in Toronto are well organized.

There's also some talk about OO coming back to MTL (not until 2014).

Hutchinson was supposed to be starting today... Any reason he won't be there?

PSV match is actually Sunday. I know they wouldn't thrilled about Atiba going on intl duty after his injury history these last 8 months, but if he's healthy enough to play ninety in the Eredivisie he should be there to play Armenia.

Though he wants to a avoid using MLS guys, he didn't discount it either and remember he flew in Will Johnson for the Greece match at almost exactly this time last year. I could really see both he and DeRo getting a call for this one. Without Hutchinson, the Euro based mids on offer are pretty uninspiring.

IMO, Hart should call his top 18-20 players for this game. MLS players will be in the middle of their preseason so there's no excuse not to call them (if they had been in their off season it would've been another story).

It's not like we have 10 friendlies before the Cuba game. Let's fully use every opportunity we have to get the whole team together.

Which MLS players are in Hart projected squad is the question. My guess is DeGuzman, DeRo, Johnson, Jakovic and maybe Hainault and Bernier.

IMO, Hart should call his top 18-20 players for this game. MLS players will be in the middle of their preseason so there's no excuse not to call them (if they had been in their off season it would've been another story).

It's not like we have 10 friendlies before the Cuba game. Let's fully use every opportunity we have to get the whole team together.

Which MLS players are in Hart projected squad is the question. My guess is DeGuzman, DeRo, Johnson, Jakovic and maybe Hainault and Bernier.

Hart has already said he doesn't want to use MLS guys. I really can't see De Rosario for this one (he was in the Greece team last year because TFC was in Turkey), I could see Hainault being given a shot to get back in the team along with Will Johnson.

I really can't see De Rosario for this one (he was in the Greece team last year because TFC was in Turkey), I could see Hainault being given a shot to get back in the team along with Will Johnson.

So you don't think DeRo would have been called up last year in the same fashion that Will Johnson was jetted in from NA? I think he would have been, regardless, and I don't see anything different this time around. As for Hainault I don't there's as much of a need for him (McKenna, with Edgar and Straith able to cover the RB spot). Also, you wonder where Hart's mindset is at since the Dynamo's man's decline of a call up during WCQ.

"I'm trying to avoid (selecting) any of the MLS players. They have only just begun their pre-season. It will be very difficult for them to fly all the way to Cyprus and play a game," Hart explained. "The only way I would utilize (anyone) from MLS is if I'm really stuck for players in certain positions."

I can't see him being that confident with his available Euro midfield candidates, sans Hutchinson.

Hart has already said he doesn't want to use MLS guys. I really can't see De Rosario for this one (he was in the Greece team last year because TFC was in Turkey), I could see Hainault being given a shot to get back in the team along with Will Johnson.

True, I forgot about that.

But I don't see the rational behind that. The players need more time together and even if it means having to travel some MLSers for 3-4 days it would be worth it IMO. Specially with the lack of quality midfield players in Europe right now.

I'm also wondering what's the situation with Hainault. I hope Hart talked with him since André refused a call up.

Though he wants to a avoid using MLS guys, he didn't discount it either and remember he flew in Will Johnson for the Greece match at almost exactly this time last year. I could really see both he and DeRo getting a call for this one. Without Hutchinson, the Euro based mids on offer are pretty uninspiring.

+1

We have a few gaps in midfield because we will NOT be calling Hutchinson for this one, and Bernier is no longer in Europe.

Kreis never has a problem releasing Johnson for friendlies, but this time his fitness is a question mark: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/06/rsl-preach-patience-during-injury-riddled-preseason

There are, however, still more than a few health issues for a number of veterans who have been sidelined and unable to participate. Álvaro Saborío (arthroscopic surgery), Javier Morales (Achilles tendonitis), Will Johnson (adductor strain), Kyle Beckerman (adductor strain), and Nat Borchers (quadricep strain) are all trying to find their way back into action after offseason ailments.

As for Derosario, I recall reading that he may get the call for this one, but it depends on the DCU coaching staff, I cannot find the link however.

So, Johnson is all but out, De Jong took a knock today and potentially could be out, DeRosario is a maybe, Issey is not playing at the moment....it is going to be interesting to see who we can get.

True, I forgot about that.

But I don't see the rational behind that. The players need more time together and even if it means having to travel some MLSers for 3-4 days it would be worth it IMO. Specially with the lack of quality midfield players in Europe right now.

I'm also wondering what's the situation with Hainault. I hope Hart talked with him since André refused a call up.

This makes sense... if you disregard the importance of them being at their club for pre-season.

Because it's not important that they show well, and win a place... totally fine if somebody else shows well, takes their spot while they're gone... they lose playing time and don't get called up to by SH... oh.... wait.

Pre-season is the worst possible time to take a player for a friendly.. worst possible time.

Yeesh, i don't think our MF options are that dire!

I would expect to see some guys like Jaime Peters, Chris Pozniak and Adam Straith called up. Both Poz and Peters could be used as DM's if needed, or we could see someone new called up to push JBB and Pacheco (can't believe those are our two best Euro-based options after Hutch) like Bobby Kajgo or Nikolas Kras if either decide to accept a call.

Not happening. Stephen Hart likes to troll me by not selecting him.

This makes sense... if you disregard the importance of them being at their club for pre-season.

Because it's not important that they show well, and win a place... totally fine if somebody else shows well, takes their spot while they're gone... they lose playing time and don't get called up to by SH... oh.... wait.

Pre-season is the worst possible time to take a player for a friendly.. worst possible time.

Guys like DeRo, Johnson, Hainault, Jakovic and JDG are sure starter at their club. There's no way they would lose their spot because they missed less than a week of training camp. If we would speak about fringe players I would understand. Calling someone like Teibert would be risky for his club career but it's a different story for a DeRo or a Hainault.

Actually, it's probably the less annoying time for a MLS manager to see a player called for International duties. Hart often has to negotiate with MLS coaches when he calls a player in the middle of the MLS calendar.

Guys like DeRo, Johnson, Hainault, Jakovic and JDG are sure starter at their club. There's no way they would lose their spot because they missed less than a week of training camp. If we would speak about fringe players I would understand. Calling someone like Teibert would be risky for his club career but it's a different story for a DeRo or a Hainault.

Actually, it's probably the less annoying time for a MLS manager to see a player called for International duties. Hart often has to negotiate with MLS coaches when he calls a player in the middle of the MLS calendar.

Call ups during preseason are little to no risk for MLS coaches, and also far from ideal for international coaches (lack of game fitness), but either way, wedon't be surprised if we end up seeing a few MLS guys due to our lack of depth in a few positions. Hart will only do this if he is relly stuck. Travel and game fitness are factors.

Like I said earlier, if Johnson is battling injuries his inclusion is unlikely. Same goes for DeRosario:

United head coach Ben Olsen said that outside of the goal by SKCs Graham Zusi from a set piece in the 35th minute, his first unit missing six key regulars including returning league MVP Dwayne De Rosario (groin) played well.*

Actually, calling a guy like Teibert might be GREAT for his career! He's currently 2nd-3rd string at both left wing and left back. Let's say he gets called-up by the CMNT, does very well, and comes back with a strong international performance in his pocket....might convince Rennie to give him a proper chance. personally, I'd rather see Teibert on the left wing than Camilo (C.S. is a forward far as I am concerned!)

Actually, calling a guy like Teibert might be GREAT for his career! He's currently 2nd-3rd string at both left wing and left back. Let's say he gets called-up by the CMNT, does very well, and comes back with a strong international performance in his pocket....might convince Rennie to give him a proper chance. personally, I'd rather see Teibert on the left wing than Camilo (C.S. is a forward far as I am concerned!)

It would be nice to see him there but there is no chance he will get called. First of all he is in N.A and second he has only ever played a dozen MLS games in his career, not quite the time to bring him in when we are playing a squad that almost qualified for Euro 2012.

Archived