Robert

Having received this kind of "Canadian" support for an international match, in a World-class facility like BC Place, should enhance Vancouver's chances of hosting World Cup qualifying matches, especially at times when the weather in other parts of Canada is less than ideally-suited for important matches.

Hopefully there will be another large crowd on hand for the match against the States tomorrow. I was surprised there were no programs available at the games on Friday. The computerized scoreboard also wasn't utilized as well as it could have been. No line-ups were ever given, so unless fans had the numbers of all players memorized, only a few of the most recognizeable players could be identified. As pointed out the family atmosphere that prevailed and the resonable ticket prizes probablaby helped contribute to the large turnout.

Hopefully there will be another large crowd on hand for the match against the States tomorrow. I was surprised there were no programs available at the games on Friday. The computerized scoreboard also wasn't utilized as well as it could have been. No line-ups were ever given, so unless fans had the numbers of all players memorized, only a few of the most recognizeable players could be identified. As pointed out the family atmosphere that prevailed and the resonable ticket prizes probablaby helped contribute to the large turnout.

Programs were available...you just had to randomly find the guy walking around who was handing them out..so you see...easy!

Toronto gets 12,000 fans out for 2 of its last 3 MENS games.

Vancouver gets 12,000 fans out for the Costa Rica game, and 23,000 for the semi-final.

If the CSA wants the men where they will get the most support, then they should play in Vancouver.

If the fans across the country are honest when they say that they want the men to stay in one place to "build supporters culture" for them in the place where the most people will watch them live, then - UNLESS THOSE PEOPLE ARE SELF-SEVING HYPOCRITES WHO HAVE BEEN LYING THE WHOLE TIME - they will support the move of the Mens Nats from Toronto to Vancouver.

I don't plump for this, personally. I think the CSA should have home games every year for the Men, M U20, Women, and W U20, and have the four teams play in Van, Tor, Mtl, and one rotating location EVERY YEAR. However, like everyone outside of Central Ontario and a few intelligent people within it, I have found the "play all the games in Toronto" to be selfish, stupid, and short-sighted.

I don't think a women's match is an indicator that BC will have a pro-Canadian crowd for a men's match. The home fan base of women vs men is not even close to being overlapping 100%. And the visitor fan base is much more motivated to travel for a men's match.

Plus, I can't recall any Cdn women's match in Canada that wasn't pro-Canadian. In fact, I would say in absolute numbers, the Mexicans at the US & Canada matches were the largest non-Cdn supporters I have seen at a women's match.

Saying that, BC Place should have a WCQ match as it is a good setting - with the assumption the travel isn't onerous for the team.

Vancouver gets 12,000 fans out for the Costa Rica game, and 23,000 for the semi-final.

If the CSA wants the men where they will get the most support, then they should play in Vancouver.

You do yourself (and your argument) no favours by making numbers up.

12,000 for CR? I was there, man. They announced 8,105.

Personally, I think that all important Canadian internationals should be distributed across Canada where ever suitable staduims exist. All Canadian supporters should have the opportunity to experience the excitement and atmosphere of being at one of these international matches. Seeing the support the Women's team received in Vancouver on Friday will hopefully inspire fans in other Canadian cities to turn out in large numbers for future internationals.

Personally, I think that all important Canadian internationals should be distributed across Canada where ever suitable staduims exist. All Canadian supporters should have the opportunity to experience the excitement and atmosphere of being at one of these international matches. Seeing the support the Women's team received in Vancouver on Friday will hopefully inspire fans in other Canadian cities to turn out in large numbers for future internationals.

Emphasis mine.

Perhaps what is needed is a tour for the men's team to see the turf, so that they can judge for themselves? Or have them talk to the ladies about comparatives.

BC Place is otherwise an excellent facility, and the turf seemed to me to react like grass (beyond the puffs of sand). But I'm no player...

12,000 for CR? I was there, man. They announced 8,105.

There was over 10,000 for the second game though (I think), that might be what he is referring to.

I'm not anywhere near Vancouver, but I wonder if we are over reacting to the numbers here? Sure, 22,000 is great, amazing really. But this is an event that is going on which has been building steam and getting huge coverage. How many times has Bob McCowan done an interview about a CMNT game? Ever? He interviewed Stephen Brunt on Prime Time on Thursday about the Friday game. If you add the word "Olympic" things will get big.

Now add USA vs Canada and things I hope will be even better. Is BC Place sold out? My friend who has come out to about 5 Canada games with me over the past few years in Toronto hasn't watched a single game, he is watching this one.

But we can't now expect that Vancouver would show the same support for a Canada vs St. Lucia game. Just look at Edmonton, yeah they supported Canada back at the U-19, but that doesn't equate into selling out Commonwealth every single Canada game. I'd say just keep that in mind.

If the fans across the country are honest when they say that they want the men to stay in one place to "build supporters culture" for them in the place where the most people will watch them live, then - UNLESS THOSE PEOPLE ARE SELF-SEVING HYPOCRITES WHO HAVE BEEN LYING THE WHOLE TIME - they will support the move of the Mens Nats from Toronto to Vancouver.

I don't plump for this, personally. I think the CSA should have home games every year for the Men, M U20, Women, and W U20, and have the four teams play in Van, Tor, Mtl, and one rotating location EVERY YEAR. However, like everyone outside of Central Ontario and a few intelligent people within it, I have found the "play all the games in Toronto" to be selfish, stupid, and short-sighted.

I'm surprised this thread got all the way until post #12 before something like this was written.

But we can't now expect that Vancouver would show the same support for a Canada vs St. Lucia game. Just look at Edmonton, yeah they supported Canada back at the U-19, but that doesn't equate into selling out Commonwealth every single Canada game. I'd say just keep that in mind.

First, selling out Commonwealth for a Canadian national team game is impossible.

Second, given that Edmonton's seen two men's games since 2002, including our best-attended home game in 2004, I'm not sure we really want to base "oh, they've proven they suck" off of that.

The transexuals in that crowd had me totally fooled. I thought there were females in the audience.

Actually, I thought there were suspiciously fewer, not few, women than I would expect. Not saying they were not there, but I really didn't hear the same shrill ear piercing wail you get when Beckham touches the ball.

Whitepacs vs LA > Than Semi Final for young girls attending.

I am a proud Vancouver boy, and I know that we will eventually grow the sort of Canadian fan support for one-off mens WCQ matches that we saw turn out for the women versus Mexico, but I've been doing this too long to pretend that we'd get 20,000+ roaring Canadian fans for Canada v. Honduras later this year. I'm pretty sure that those wearing blue and white will outnumber us reds, perhaps not to the same extent as in the past, but still noticeably so. IF we want the best chance for a pro-Canadian crowd in a major centre, then you've got to go where the Canadian fan support is maturing, which at the moment is in Toronto. Yes, it will mature here too, what with the Caps and the Southsiders and a growing network and fanbase, but Toronto was first out of the gates and is building momentum in this regard. Not to say that it should be the only such place given the chance to build momentum, but I feel it is entirely naive to think that because of a fantastic turn out for Canada v. Mexico that Vancouver now trumps TO--or anywhere else--as the site mostly likely to attract large Canadian fan support. Just saying. I look forward to the day when we pack ANY stadium in the country with rabid Canadian fans, but we are in our infancy and must be strategic about how we grow. A forum such as this one can--and IS!--playing a huge role in the revolution.

Vive le Canada!

This is getting really stupid.

There is only one answer. The men do not want to play on turf. Period. Fans blaming other fans for this is retarded.

I would like to see how anyplace would do when tickets outside the supporters section for a game against St. Vincent are $40. Apply that pricing to Friday and outside the sold passes you would be lucky for a 1000 walk up and they would all be Mexican.

There is also a huge cultural difference between men's and women's soccer at the youth level. The women at the national team level are allowed to be role models for young girls, this does not translate to the boys side. Their role models are supposed to be in Europe. Try getting someone to bring their boy to a men's game, and their girl to a women's game. One is a lot easier than the other.

This self serving hypocrite flew his ass to Vancouver for this tournament.

I am a proud Vancouver boy, and I know that we will eventually grow the sort of Canadian fan support for one-off mens WCQ matches that we saw turn out for the women versus Mexico, but I've been doing this too long to pretend that we'd get 20,000+ roaring Canadian fans for Canada v. Honduras later this year. I'm pretty sure that those wearing blue and white will outnumber us reds, perhaps not to the same extent as in the past, but still noticeably so. IF we want the best chance for a pro-Canadian crowd in a major centre, then you've got to go where the Canadian fan support is maturing, which at the moment is in Toronto. Yes, it will mature here too, what with the Caps and the Southsiders and a growing network and fanbase, but Toronto was first out of the gates and is building momentum in this regard. Not to say that it should be the only such place given the chance to build momentum, but I feel it is entirely naive to think that because of a fantastic turn out for Canada v. Mexico that Vancouver now trumps TO--or anywhere else--as the site mostly likely to attract large Canadian fan support. Just saying. I look forward to the day when we pack ANY stadium in the country with rabid Canadian fans, but we are in our infancy and must be strategic about how we grow. A forum such as this one can--and IS!--playing a huge role in the revolution.

Vive le Canada!

If there were a grass stadium in Vancouver, Honduras would be the preferable team to play there and it would likely happen. I have heard several people in Toronto suggest we just play it at Swangaurd and shut out the Hondurans completely.

The other factor for Honduras likely being in Toronto is that you cannot get a flight out of Cuba to Canada that goes anywhere else. Can't fly from Cuba to Vancouver. Play Friday, then again Tuesday and eliminate one flight by staying in the city you land in.

Don't sweat it: I'm just kidding around.

I am also happy about the attendance and its pro-Canadian composition. I think it stands as evidence that BC deserves more high profile matches.

Like the WWC final and one of the upcoming centennial matches?

I hope those pan out that way, but as of now they are just rumors.

Archived