Nana Attakora on trial with Hibernian FC

PJSweet

Great news! With his athleticism it just might be the perfect fit. He's obviously not technically gifted enough for the B2 or Berlin would have snapped him up....but SPL is a lot like MLS minuse some of the latino flair and the high-end talent that MLS has.

He's obviously not technically gifted enough for the B2 or Berlin would have snapped him up..

Why post crap like that when you have absolutely no clue as to why the trial did not work out? There are many reasons for a trial not to pan out. For one thing Union did not really have any need in defence other than they are worried about the age of their defenders in future seasons. Additionally they are probably hoping to promote in the next couple of years and may have been looking for someone of B1 calibre. That is not an ideal situation for a successful transfer. For what it is worth, Union's press release about him not signing stated that they were impressed with his playing level but did not feel he was an upgrade over their current defenders. And B2 is not exactly the home of extremely gifted technical defenders either, no better than MLS or SPL in that regard.

SPL would be a good league for him to continue in. I wouldn't dare say he deserves better than that. We enjoyed his play in Toronto and it's too bad he went through the spell he did, but if he can find his form and develop a bit more, he could amount to a solid defender for many years to come. And maybe a spot would open up for him sometime in the future to get him back in Canada.

Why post crap like that when you have absolutely no clue as to why the trial did not work out? There are many reasons for a trial not to pan out. For one thing Union did not really have any need in defence other than they are worried about the age of their defenders in future seasons. Additionally they are probably hoping to promote in the next couple of years and may have been looking for someone of B1 calibre. That is not an ideal situation for a successful transfer. For what it is worth, Union's press release about him not signing stated that they were impressed with his playing level but did not feel he was an upgrade over their current defenders. And B2 is not exactly the home of extremely gifted technical defenders either, no better than MLS or SPL in that regard.

The bold part of your post is exactly what supports my statement. He's "not an upgrade" which means he isn't technically good enough. Try again though - your rants are always fun to read.

An excellent post, if the opening sentence had not been there to ruin it.

The bold part of your post is exactly what supports my statement. He's "not an upgrade" which means he isn't technically good enough. Try again though - your rants are always fun to read.

You should try again. It does not say he is not technically good enough, it says he is not better than what they have, ie. he is not better than their currently "good enough for Union Berlin" defenders. They were interested in Nana not because they are unhappy with their current defenders but because their starting back 4 are all a minimum of 30 years old. However, you did not even say he wasn't good enough for Union Berlin, you said:

He's obviously not technically gifted enough for the B2 or Berlin would have snapped him up

So not getting signed with one of the better B2 teams that does not have any urgent need for a defender, is still in the promotion race and will probably promote in the next couple of years means he is not good enough for B2? I am sure you were following the trial closely and were aware of the club statement when you posted that. How many B2 games have you seen anyway? Have you ever even watched Union play? Union was actually a strange club for him to trial with, there were a number of other B2 clubs where he would have had more opportunity. However, there are many other factors that come into play such as whether these teams can afford him, foreign player regulations and work permit problems.

Also while one can take statements about a trial with a grain of salt, it is pretty rare for a club to put out an official press release saying we are not signing this guy but he was pretty good in his trial. Often you get some BS remark from the coach in an interview but the fact that they put out an official statement makes me think they actually did like him even if he did not meet their requirements and wanted to help him out a bit by putting out a positive statement about the trial. Sounds a bit what like Lokomotiv Moscow did with DiChiara who impressed them and even though they did not think he was good enough for a top RPL team they put out a good word about him to some of the other RPL teams leading to him signing with Samara.

Nana has his flaws as a player and I would not disagree that he is not a B1 level player at the moment. He may also not be a starter on a top B2 club like Union. But from what I have seen of him and knowing B2 pretty well, he definitely has the ability to play at the level. It is one thing as Canadian supporters to make valid criticisms of players, it is another thing when one of us denigrates them without knowing what the hell he is talking about. Union is the closest allied team to my German club so I follow them and also follow B2 even more than B1 since more of the teams I follow are in this league. I also followed the trial on Union's site and fan forum and also read some personal accounts of how he played some of which I posted here some of which I did not. If you can not follow the team or trial because you do not read German, fine, no one is asking you to. But if you are not following the trial, the team and the league that a player is trialing for, then don't post opinions about it, especially opinions which are denigrating one of our players.

Plus one Grizzly. Nana is certainly good enough for a B2 german team. Hope he can catch on with Hibernian. Loved watching him play for the most part with TFC and found few faults with his ability while playing for us. i didnt have many chances to see him play with San Jose but as ive seen with TFC some players just cant play well with certain team, AKA most players we trade away and become great with other teams. Hope he finds the right club and continues his growth as a player.

Could be a good move if work permit approved, Hibs have a new manager so its a good sign if a new manager has interest. Hibs had a Center back red carded today, and got worked 4-0. I read on a Hibs message board yesterday by a fan that he was disappointed by the trial because he saw him play for Toronto. He said something along the lines of being familiar with football in Toronto, which is sad cause he was no more then a teenager while at Toronto.

Maybe becaue HE'S NOT TECHNICALLY GIFTED even when he started with Cann two season ago, he never struck me as technically gifted at all. Nothing against him per se.

And when you talk about posting crap Grizz, that ridiculous multi-paragraph 'rant' on page 2 is crap.

I mean did you see his defending against De Ro when with San Jose, he tried a diving header BACK TOWARD HIS OWN NET in an attempt to intercept a cross which De Ro buried.

And when he was still with TFC he was slow as molasses, slower than Ty Harden, which is saying something, even for a guy coming back from injury.

All that aside. I think he could do quite well in the SPL. If he loses about 15-20 Pounds.

Maybe becaue HE'S NOT TECHNICALLY GIFTED even when he started with Cann two season ago, he never struck me as technically gifted at all. Nothing against him per se.

And when you talk about posting crap Grizz, that ridiculous multi-paragraph 'rant' on page 2 is crap.

I mean did you see his defending against De Ro when with San Jose, he tried a diving header BACK TOWARD HIS OWN NET in an attempt to intercept a cross which De Ro buried.

And when he was still with TFC he was slow as molasses, slower than Ty Harden, which is saying something, even for a guy coming back from injury.

All that aside. I think he could do quite well in the SPL. If he loses about 15-20 Pounds.

I'm sorry but I have to agree w Grizz that it's kinda bogus to talk about something in such a way when you don't know what actually went on. It's clear in writing and there's no mention of technique being the issue. Even if YOU think it is, it's not cool to frame it like that was the issue just because of your opinion, which may or may not be correct.

No clue where you're getting issues with pace from - I was sitting right in front of him cope with Charlie Davies speed in one of his last games, and saw him close down a point black shot on goal to surely save further embarrassment in that terrible game. Not sure how he could have done that 20lbs overweight.

I won't argue with people not high on his technique but IMO when you start talking like his fitness or athleticism is the issue i'm sorry that's pure nonsense.

I won't argue with people not high on his technique but IMO when you start talking like his fitness or athleticism is the issue i'm sorry that's pure nonsense.

Yep, I agree. I think it's pretty harsh to call him slower than Harden, I'd be almost 100% certain that's not the case. If Harden is caught out, there is no way he catches up to his man... Attakora certainly better than him in this regard, although Harden for all his athletic shortcomings has a good head on his shoulders and reads the game well.

Two things.

1st). Tough crowd. Whatever we did see of Nana last season it certainly wasn't his best, whatever it was. To my mind he's young, has shown promise and I think in the right place and the right time he could well flourish.

2nd). But with Hibs? Great club, great support but Yikes! Be careful what you wish for.

I actually went and watched the video. Anyone calling that a diving header is clearly smoking some serious drugs when watching the video. Nana clearly gets his cleats stuck in the turf and falls on his ass which allows DeRo to get free and score. However, despite your claims he is slow, he actually comes pretty close to running DeRo down despite the tumble. So are you going to claim DeRo is slower than Ty Harden also? Yes that goal is Nana's fault but even the best players stumble at some time especially on what looked to be not a very good pitch judging from the chunks of grass pulled out by his shoe.

Archived