CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying CANADA vs Haiti --- RESULTS ---

canadianfoot

It was announced 7,6something.

It was ****ing unbelievable. Three and a half years waiting for a national team to visit western Canada and I got all that backed-up screaming out at once.

I could hear you on TV ... your voice cracked a couple of times, right?

Seriously though, the crowd sounded like they were in good voice and Sportsnet did a reasonable job of featuring shots of the crowd with scarves up and chanting. Casual observers hopefully will be impressed and I suspect the crowds will only get bigger.

Three and a half years waiting for a national team to visit western Canada...

Last match in Vancouver I can think of was the Canada U20 v Scotland U20 friendly in March 2007. That's almost five years.

Last *competitive* match I can think of was a 2006 World Cup qualifier, held in 2004. More than seven years.

Any female matches I'm forgetting about?

I liked a lot of what I saw on the pitch last night. Sure, Haiti is not a world class team, but I still felt we moved the ball well and scored some fantastic goals. Not sure if Schmidt makes sense out wide, but I guess we'll see. She had only an average game for us. The team is evolving nice, a continuation of the good things that Morace had started. We were able to make short passes and precise long passes, mostly. Those players who cannot pass the ball accurately will quickly find themselves on the bench or not in this squad. I love Wilkinson's effort and speed, but her passing is very poor. And Sinclair showed her quality last night, for sure. Scott looks very good; Chapman is great. Lots of good things happening. I'd say we are 3 or 4 players short of having a team that can challenge the likes of Germany, Brazil and the US on any given day. I want to see how this team evolves over qualifying. Who besides Sinclair will emerge as core players. (Matthieson is hurt, otherwise she is core for sure.)

I liked a lot of what I saw on the pitch last night. Sure, Haiti is not a world class team, but I still felt we moved the ball well and scored some fantastic goals. Not sure if Schmidt makes sense out wide, but I guess we'll see. She had only an average game for us. The team is evolving nice, a continuation of the good things that Morace had started. We were able to make short passes and precise long passes, mostly. Those players who cannot pass the ball accurately will quickly find themselves on the bench or not in this squad. I love Wilkinson's effort and speed, but her passing is very poor. And Sinclair showed her quality last night, for sure. Scott looks very good; Chapman is great. Lots of good things happening. I'd say we are 3 or 4 players short of having a team that can challenge the likes of Germany, Brazil and the US on any given day. I want to see how this team evolves over qualifying. Who besides Sinclair will emerge as core players. (Matthieson is hurt, otherwise she is core for sure.)

I agree with just about everything said above. Chapman was great, such a complete player. Scott was well anchored and making successful challenges. Wilkinson, while I agree with the critique above can make an overlapping run and create a cross or corner better than anyone else on that team. I would add that there were individual flashes of brilliant skill on the ball and some creativity and diversity with attacks. Attacking midfield seems to really work for Sinclair. Where I saw some technical weakness was with one touch and pass reception...the ball was at times bouncing off of players and getting picked up by the other team. Not that often, but with a stronger team, less space and reaction time, this will be more critical. Also, set pieces were not successful...corners were way past the net with no receivers. Not sure what happened there, but we should not be letting these opportunities for goals slip when we get to the stronger teams.

I really enjoyed watching the team attack and penetrate. This will no doubt be more difficult to repeat with stronger teams who allow less time on the ball. Parker was a crazy workhorse in midfield. I don't like that she ends up on her butt too often but at least there was less of the lying there or doing a Brazilian to get a call. Unless you get knocked in the box I have no patience for lying there (having said that I don't know her coach's strategy). When you are small skinny and scrappy, it's the cost of playing soccer to bounce off bigger people sometimes. Having said all that, I tremendously respect her work ethic on the field and would no doubt say she was the most intense player out there yesterday.

Speaking of intensity, I was happy to see the players running everything down, even in the dying minutes of the game when they were up by 6. That is the level of intensity they need to get to where they want to be.

I also have to speak to all of the relative newbies on the team. I was incredibly impressed with their composure and confidence on the field. And to all those who say that Sinclair is not a world class player, HELLO! Just take a look at her stats. My sense is that there is WAY MORE to come from this player. She has such incredible vision combined with skill, you can't buy that.

Finally, I hope that Sesselman is OK. She really impressed me in the Pan ams and it would be sad to lose her for this tournament. Kudos to the Haitian women who played a tough game, with great intensity. I expected to see them flame out but they kept up the pace and pressure for the full 90 minutes. Very sad for the keeper who did a trememdous job, but appears to have a pretty serious injury.

Archived