Canada friendly

Canadian_Soccer

Going back and forth with Peter McMahon a bit on twitter about this. As a fan I am thrilled. This is an excellent game for the team. My comments to him though are that this won't raise Canada's profile at home.....in Canada. Meaning, a win, or entertaining draw v. Armenia won't mean anything to anyone here and won't attract more "homer" fans for the WCQ.....sad but true.

Anyway....a good game and a good team.

Hart says Atiba won't be fit....didn't he play or get into the PSV squad the other day?

Certainly good luck that there were available spots in Cyprus as well. I'm sure this is saving the CSA at least some money, which is good. Armenia should be a tough opponent, they're getting better as a national side, as the Euro qualifiers showed.

haha, talk about random...

Ya, this is pretty random indeed. Especially after two rumour buildups (first Tunisia then NZ). I am happy with the quality of the opponent.

Nitpick:For the sake of clarity and avoiding redundant threads may I suggest somebody edit the title of this thread to:

Canada vs Armenia Feb 29th (friendly-confirmed by CSA)

Hart says Atiba won't be fit....didn't he play or get into the PSV squad the other day?

Hart has had bad intel about Atiba's fitness previously. We were led to believe he would miss the first qualifiers after injuring himself at the Gold Cup but he was there before getting hurt again.

That said, he did only play 45 minutes in a winter break friendly (Dutch league doesn't resume until end of January) and given his recent injury history, I'd be surprised if PSV didn't put any pressure on him to take a pass on this one.

I don't think being conceived in a country applies to FIFA eligibility rules ;)

Except having a Cypriot mother certainly would! :rolleyes:

I watched a couple of Armenia Euro qualifiers and they are certainly a better team than us at the moment and should be a good game. here is hoping to a full camera crew and not a webcam from a car battery like CSfan said! But, I'd take that over zero coverage.

Finally, something concrete! This is a great start, but thats all it is in my opinion, is a start. We need at least one more friendly before we open the next round and a couple of extended training camps. Come on CSA, schedule another Feb. friendly plus one more. Then we are talking. We have so much work to do if we are going to compete, even in our slightly easier group.

Armenia could also play Serbia on February 28th in Cyprus, so Canada might face a weaker side. Some sort of split squad, with a few young players.

However, the date of the game (and match?) with Serbia isn't set yet.

A poster on an Armenia forum said there is a 2-day tournament in Cyprus, but apparently Canada isn't involved.

Archived