Maple Leaf Forever Display on Scoreboard

hamiltonfan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like our Capos, I think they did a good job. Kudos to Pete for jumping up there. I really think we could be more prepared as a unit for future games. I keep wanting to get some songs and chants in mp3 format (or at least on youtube).

I brought a disc to Maro to play some of the songs, but will have MP3's for next time. Without the aforementioned practice, Maple Leaf forever and 86 aren't gonna take off and there is no reason do it half assed.

Thanks again to Pete and Bobby.

I was fairly irritated to hear the exact same rendition of "when the reds go marching in" at kickoff that I hear at every TFC match at kickoff. Who the hell led that?

I do like the idea of having something unique at kickoff though. I'd like it to be MLF, but if it's not, it should be something.

`With all due respect, the capos were not great. I don’t want to single anyone out but there wasn’t much there. Our loudest chant was "where is waldo"??

Having songs with lyrics and set-times allow for unison among sections. Song sheets should have the longer-songs (MFL, Oh Canada, 86 tribute & I Am Canadian as ex.) with lyrics and time it will be sung. This is will be instrumental in getting these traditions off the ground, its unlikely it well happen any other way…as proven is past matches.

--

Great game, should have won 1-0, V’s looked great.

Agree with the last three posts pretty much. I thought the crowd was great and the capos did a solid job (and I think the best way to note this is that I brought 9 people for their first time and all of them were singing the whole match and almost all are coming for Honduras now), but there was a bit of a co-ordination issue...seemed to be a lot of times where 112/113 and 114 would be singing two different things.

I love MLF, but if we're going to do it, someone needs to (and I'd be willing to) take the megaphone at Maro, or even on the march, and at least make it so that people understand the tune. Even if we put the time that we're singing it, I don't think many people know the tune anymore haha. I did find it a bit disappointing that after all the talk of doing either that or the Arrogant Worms song we didn't attempt either one.

So far all the talk of how it's a great song it didn't pan out...I'm just not sure it's upbeat enough, is the problem. I know there are those here that say "look, this has been discussed before", but really, even though I can't go to Ontario games, I'm honestly not convinced, don't even know the song's history, don't really want to know, not ever gonna learn the lyrics, it just bores me to tears.

As I said, luckily I'm not a guy that goes to games you guys go to, being so far away...at least I wouldn't (as a stolid Canadian supporter who would want to play along to generate the best crowd atmosphere possible), at least I wouldn't be forced to sing something I really didn't care for lol

Agree with the last three posts pretty much. I thought the crowd was great and the capos did a solid job (and I think the best way to note this is that I brought 9 people for their first time and all of them were singing the whole match and almost all are coming for Honduras now), but there was a bit of a co-ordination issue...seemed to be a lot of times where 112/113 and 114 would be singing two different things.

I love MLF, but if we're going to do it, someone needs to (and I'd be willing to) take the megaphone at Maro, or even on the march, and at least make it so that people understand the tune. Even if we put the time that we're singing it, I don't think many people know the tune anymore haha. I did find it a bit disappointing that after all the talk of doing either that or the Arrogant Worms song we didn't attempt either one.

It would be great to have a Assistant Capo strategy. I know at face value that sounds dumb but I was at the top of 112 and watched pete for most of the game. If we have about 6 V's throughout the section that take it upon themselves to take charge and stay with the Capo that should cut down on the cross over chants. The problem with MLF is that we had music on, making it very hard to chant over it. We'll have recordings for both songs for Honduras, in digital and we can throw it in the middle of a sterotypical canadian playlist just to drive home the point.

But yes, someone has to take the Megaphone and lead this chant for it to work (after hearing it 3 or 4 times at the bar)

Sunday wasn't so much a case of MLF not working, but we pretty well didn't use the entire song sheet. I'm totally sympathetic to the capos and understand that we are probably a little too ambitious at times with what we want to sing, but to be fair, we didn't give anything a shot really... This has happened before too, so was just wondering if the capos know we have song sheets? There seems to be a lack of cohesion between them and the rest in the crowd with a natural fall back on TFCesque chants and behaviour.

Slightly different point, but I was in 114 for the most part again and was a little stunned at the lack of participation and number of passengers in that section.

I was fairly irritated to hear the exact same rendition of "when the reds go marching in" at kickoff that I hear at every TFC match at kickoff. Who the hell led that?

I led it with Bobby.

And although that was the first match I jumped in there I've sung that at the start of every Canada game I've been to in the last 6 years. It wasn't without precedent and I'll do it again if I'm in there Tuesday.

If you want new stuff this where it starts and it grows from what Cali's doing. Good idea pumping it at the pub but it's gonna take time.

But you've already put time into growing this so the next step is a megaphone and you can lead MLF from the bottom of 112 or 113 if you like. In the meantime I'll youtube it again and see if it sticks this time. :)

And to RCF and others who will be critical of a capo, any capo, realize that they all are trying to do their bit to help the atmo at the expense of watching the game they love. Don't worry about it. I'm no stranger to seeing critiques of other capos and realize one needs thick skin to get back in there but before you post please realize we're not mind-reading jukeboxes.

So, for instance, perhaps try a suggestion for a substitute that we could talk about here. It's hard work getting as loud we want and near impossible to like every song sung all the time so let's all lend our voices to the cause.

If you think the crowd needs a pick up and your immediate area is strong move halfway up and turn halfway to make sure the songs stay in time and as loud as they can. We've done it for club and can do it for country but don't just wish someone else would do it take the lead like our man Califax here.

"Project MLF"

(sounds hot) :)

So far all the talk of how it's a great song it didn't pan out...I'm just not sure it's upbeat enough, is the problem. I know there are those here that say "look, this has been discussed before", but really, even though I can't go to Ontario games, I'm honestly not convinced, don't even know the song's history, don't really want to know, not ever gonna learn the lyrics, it just bores me to tears.

As I said, luckily I'm not a guy that goes to games you guys go to, being so far away...at least I wouldn't (as a stolid Canadian supporter who would want to play along to generate the best crowd atmosphere possible), at least I wouldn't be forced to sing something I really didn't care for lol

Sorry, you are wrong.

YWNWA isn't upbeat, it's stirring and powerful just just like MLF.

Most chants are upbeat, most songs arent.

P

Sorry, you are wrong.

YWNWA isn't upbeat, it's stirring and powerful just just like MLF.

Most chants are upbeat, most songs arent.

P

I'm not wrong, I just have a different opinion than you. There's a difference. I can honestly say that if I was able to go to a game, THEN I would learn the lyrics and do my damndest to sing it and generate atmosphere. I am a team player. I am not able to go to games, so luckily I don't have to learn the lyrics to a song that I don't at all find stirring and powerful. You do, that's your opinion, but it doesn't make my opinion wrong.

And if by YWNWA you mean Liverpool's anthem I don't think MLF compares to it. But whatever, as I said, I'd sing it if I had to, just wish Canada had more songs to choose from.

Chants at set times are problematic as we never know whats going on at any given time. (rush, big save, etc.) There are any number of people that can lead MLF at kickoff, it doesnt have to be a capo. We"ll work it out for this game. All I can say is learn the words.

Cappos please learn MLF and be ready to lead the way...

MLF@kickoff

OhCanada@49min

I AM Canadaian @ 24min???

Big step for us tomorrow

Actually going to do the opposite.

Putting four songs on a sheet, simple ones. MLF won't be one of them.

USA game was terrible. Worst ever in the section and that can't happen on Tuesday.

Simple, repetitive and relentless.

By the way, anyone wondering why I haven't shut up about maple leaf forever for the last couple years, here is some context.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyTu8ibpp9w&feature=related

We will never be this good, but every footy squad should have something like this, it gave me chills today.

Cal

Most Irish people know that song...I'm not sure most Canadians know MLF...I had never heard of it before this forum board (honestly, not poking at it, just being truthful), and I still don't know it by anything but name, and still have never heard it sung, except on youtube to look it up for this thread.

I am 34 from Alberta if that helps put a demographic to me to maybe describe why that is?

Most Irish people know that song...I'm not sure most Canadians know MLF...I had never heard of it before this forum board (honestly, not poking at it, just being truthful), and I still don't know it by anything but name, and still have never heard it sung, except on youtube to look it up for this thread.

I am 34 from Alberta if that helps put a demographic to me to maybe describe why that is?

Yeah, I can't really say. I'm from NS and just a few years younger and I remember singing it in school.. Could be fluke, the same way some kids read certain books while it never finds the Curriculum in other parts of the city or the country. I remember that 1967 song being dug up around "Canada 125" too, seems to me there was a **** ton of patriotism in my every day school life during a 3 year span in elementary. I think MLF is a little more well known than you think, but being a very patriotic song in a country where patriotism has never been an "in your face" thing (our Prime Minister had to ask us to be patriotic during the last olympics). I could see songs getting lost in the shuffle.

I know some people might not like it, I just think the words are beautiful. But, more to the point, I crave something like the Irish had, and if anyone can find a song on par then we should adopt it cause that was easily the most stirring emotion i've ever seen after a blowout in any sport ever.

In one of those rare moments that Califax and I agree on anything, I think MLF would be a great football song. Some love it and some are less enthused but one has to think about how it sounds sung by a group of supporters. And part of the idea of having a song for a football team is that it is unique to that team, not everyone has to know the song before they start going to matches. For those who do not think it is a great song, listen to the original versions of probably the greatest football song ever, You'll Never Walk Alone. If anyone played me either the original Rodgers and Hammerstein musical version or the pop version from Gerry and the Pacemakers that was popular in Liverpool when it was adopted I would have said that is a terrible song. Yet sung by a football crowd it is magic.

Rodgers and Hammerstein: Carousel (Crap)

Gerry and Pacemakers Pop Version (Still Crap)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAzdYEnB2zE

Sung by a stadium of football fans (Amazing)

I personally think if we could ever get together a core group to sing a decent version of MLF it would be a great football song.

Possibly, but as I alluded to this thread, showing clips of "You'll Never Walk Alone"...not the same song as MLF. Maybe if done properly, right? But then...why has it not worked yet for you guys, right? If it was a very well known song, and that popular, people wouldn't NEED to be educated about it, they'd just start singing it when a few other supporters did.

But it still hasn't worked out yet. That's very telling, to me.

Not really, unless you don't understand how YNWA became an anthem in the first place... Not much different than what is being proposed here, except that it's not a top 10 DJ playing contemporary music over the PA, it's Califax and others agitating to sing an old song (and almost-national-anthem).

If it was a very well known song, and that popular, people wouldn't NEED to be educated about it, they'd just start singing it when a few other supporters did.

But it still hasn't worked out yet. That's very telling, to me.

There's nothing telling here, it's the fact that we are not yet organized enough to try something difficult and we don't wanna **** up the start of a game butchering a song in an important WCQ game. Had we played it at the bar before the match this time, maybe. But that wasn't in the cards for the Honduras game. I will bump this thread all summer and stay in peoples ear to get this (or something similar) started. You're more than welcome to fight me the whole way :)

To your first point, it is well known, you keep arguing that but just because you don't know it doesn't mean it's not well known. Secondly, there is no song we could do without practice. What ever "long form" song we do, we will need substantial practice and many people to make an effort.

The struggle is not the song, the struggle will be the education. 4-5 verses of anything isn't easy unless its the macarena, and even then...

Archived