Maple Leaf Forever Display on Scoreboard

hamiltonfan

Maple Leaf Forever @ Kickoff

Oh Canada @ 49 min

We must to the "I Am Canadian".....i say early too. There there song sheets printed? If you have facebook msg or post on CanadaSoccer For Maple Leaf Forever at Kickoff to be displayed on scoreboard!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think two pages is needed, less is more IMO.

I can't recall when we last sung the JDG/Hume songs, might as well drop those for something we might sing.

All V's at maro have to band together and sing both MLF and the 86 if it's gonna have any chance to happen. Also that I Am Canadian song would work well, it may ring a bell for those who've seen that on TV over the years.

People still seemed to be keen about this, so I thought I'd find a recording, and see if it is as bad as I remembered.

My gosh, it's a dreadful tune. It's like some bad Christian song that they sing in church. The tune doesn't go anywhere, it's not memorable, and it's not very singable.

It's such an obscure song, that's difficult to sing, and no one knows the words. It doesn't even sound very good.

Is this really a good idea? I just think it's going to tank. How many people can actually sing this?

I couldn't disagree with you more. The first time I heard the youtube clip I got chills. My eyes got a little moist. Personally I think it's a great idea and hope it comes off. There seem to be a decent amount of people who agree. Everyone comes from a different place but if you're looking for a catchy tune to become an iconic anthem for the national team I don't think that will ever happen.

Seriously. If I was playing and I heard my country's fans sing that song I would want to go through a wall.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The first time I heard the youtube clip I got chills.
Interesting ... to me it sounded like a church tune. And not a good one. Amazing Grace sung well would give me the chills. I've never really listened to this before, and ... nothing. Star-spangled Banner does much better.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think it will work; it's such an obscure song, I just don't think it will work, and it's not simple enough that people will catch on to it. I think you need a song that at least a few people would know.

But I'd be thrilled to be wrong!

Guest Dave

Maple Leaf Forever rocks!

No other song has such meaning for Canadians. Not even o canada.

It WILL come off. believe.

People still seemed to be keen about this, so I thought I'd find a recording, and see if it is as bad as I remembered.

My gosh, it's a dreadful tune. It's like some bad Christian song that they sing in church. The tune doesn't go anywhere, it's not memorable, and it's not very singable.

It's such an obscure song, that's difficult to sing, and no one knows the words. It doesn't even sound very good.

Is this really a good idea? I just think it's going to tank. How many people can actually sing this?

So you know, you aren't the only one. I also think this song is too archaic. It has no meaning for me, personally. But if you guys are trying it and like it, I do hope it goes well for you

Maple Leaf Forever rocks!

No other song has such meaning for Canadians. Not even o canada.

Uh, how would a song that most people have barely ever heard, let alone recognize, or be able to sing have meaning for Canadians?

I found someone who went to school in the 1940s who said they had to sing it in school ... but I really don't think the song has much meaning for any under the age of 50.

I think the ONLY time I'd ever heard the song previously was during the Olympic closing ceremonies ... and compared to something like k.d. lang doing Hallelujah in the opening cermonies, it was very weak. Hmm, Hallelujah ... now you can't get more Canadian than that ... I wonder ... the chorus ... hmm.

Uh, how would a song that most people have barely ever heard, let alone recognize, or be able to sing have meaning for Canadians?

I found someone who went to school in the 1940s who said they had to sing it in school ... but I really don't think the song has much meaning for any under the age of 50.

I think the ONLY time I'd ever heard the song previously was during the Olympic closing ceremonies ... and compared to something like k.d. lang doing Hallelujah in the opening cermonies, it was very weak. Hmm, Hallelujah ... now you can't get more Canadian than that ... I wonder ... the chorus ... hmm.

You're more than welcome to argue any point you like, but sadly, most pro people have already gone 15 tiresome rounds of why we like it/hate it and are a bit tired of what I can assure you was every bit as stupid a debate as you could imagine on a message board. (To the point where I told RYAN I'd poor a beer on his head if he didn't sing it. And yes, Ryan, I'll owe you a beer [in a glass] tomorrow).

It is old. It is random. But right now, (short of Anne Murray and the olympics) it belongs to no one and we could make it ours. It shows off Canada, the dream of families that came here but yes, it is a little too slow. We added 2 quicker songs as well: "I AM" from the beer commercial and the 1986 song that is quick and a peppy and a nice throwback to a song most canadians don't know either.

I think what most people want is that we give it a shot and see if this, or these, song(s), can sound good. Come to Maro and we"ll have a back corner song session. What works, what doesn't. How else we can make fun of Donovan and what speed we can sing these at to please the nay sayers.

USA GAME - VOYAGEURS V4.pdf Song sheet final for tomorrow.

It is old. It is random. But right now, (short of Anne Murray and the olympics) it belongs to no one and we could make it ours. It shows off Canada, the dream of families that came here but yes, it is a little too slow.
I guess what I don't understand is why we think this song means anything to Canadians. I'm really curious just who has been singing this since ... well since the Centennial in 1967. And bottom line ... having listened to it ... there's just no chance I could actually sing it without a lot of practice.

We added 2 quicker songs as well: "I AM" from the beer commercial
Oh ... I recall the poetry in the Molson "I am Canadian" campaign a few years ago. I don't recall a song ... I'll have to go google that one. But is that really where it comes from? Given that Molson got bought by Americans, and the "I Am Canadian" campaign is now a bad joke about how the Americans own us ... is this really what we want to be singing in a match against the USA? Makes us kind of Owned doesn't it? Hmm ... found it ... seems singable though ... not familiar to me though ...

and the 1986 song that is quick and a peppy and a nice throwback to a song most canadians don't know either.
Is this on youtube or something somewhere? Not sure how it goes ...

I think what most people want is that we give it a shot and see if this, or these, song(s), can sound good. Come to Maro and we"ll have a back corner song session. What works, what doesn't. How else we can make fun of Donovan and what speed we can sing these at to please the nay sayers.
I'm normally there ... and I'm in favour of anything that stops the 5th rendition of Oh Canada in 20 minutes ...

Maybe that just means someone needs to make a new song for Canada that is better. You know, instead of bitching about the ones we do have. Instead of blogging, grab a keyboard or a guitar or something if you can do better!

(and since I don't much like the song myself, I'd be happy if someone was all "challenge accepted")

lol I'm staying about 5 feet from Califax when he has a full beer in his hand tomorrow, just saying. :)

The discussion is tired, it's being done. It's not my choice but so what. Anyone who wants to decline singing because it's not their choice doesn't have their heart in the right place.

We're gonna need about 50 strong to get behind this, pick our time during the match to sing it, and do it every match going forward. Lets go V's!

(shrugs) All I'm sayin is I've never even heard of this song before this thread. Wasn't trying to start an argument, because I am FAR away from Toronto or singing with you guys at any time (sadly). Sing away, guys, I'd sing the song for a teleporter.

Not all of us guys that insanely love Canada soccer will ever even get the chance to attend one single game...although it's gonna be on my bucket list.

Archived