Maple Leaf Forever Display on Scoreboard

hamiltonfan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This would be awesome...

It would totally be awesome. Just a thought though, it might be a good idea (at least at BMO Field) to spread the Voyageurs out a bit more in the south end. It was completely impossible to get chants going in 117 at the St.Kitt's match, because we didn't have enough people. There was a guy beside me from Capital City FC who had a drum, but we just didn't have enough jump-around-and-sing types.

Lets take a massive step in the right direction as a support group and get this done.

Guys and Girls, it starts here and ends with us flying Anne Murray to Brazil to sing it there. Obviously I'm in favor of doing whatever I can to help with this. I made the video that Hamilton Fan posted above and I guess I'm wondering, do we have a specific version we would like to sing? I cut a verse and chorus out of the aforementioned and there are also other verses that were not even in the version from which i edited.

I guess my point is, before we push forward, are these the verses we want? Is this the version we want to promote?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maple_Leaf_Forever

I originally thought this version of the song would be too long and difficult for us and the mass to complete as well. However, after taking a closer look..I think its perfect! the lyrics below only take 1 min 30sec on the youtube video...expectantly we could collectively keep this going for 2 mins.

O land of blue, unending skies

Mountains strong and sparkling snow

A scent of Freedom in the wind

'Or the emerald fields below

To thee we brought our hopes, our dreams

For thee we stand together

Our land of peace where proudly flies

The Maple Leaf FOREVER

Oh Maple Leaf around the world

You speakas you rise high above

Of courage, peace and quiet strength

of the Canada that I love

Long may it waive and grace our own

blue skies and stormy weather

WIthin my heart

Above my home

THE MAPLE LEAF FOREVER

The passion is building, lets GET ER DONE

The problem with those lyrics is that they miss the best part! Here may it wave, our boast, our pride, and join in love together / The Lily, Thistle, Shamrock, Rose, the Maple Leaf forever

Spot on, that's easily my favorite verse of any of them. I prefer the new version, but that verse from the original kinda sums up the whole sentiment we are going for. Maybe it can be doctored in, cause I like it a lot. Maybe we tag it on as a refrain.

Also, this battle has to be fought for us by the CSA, as some of the people in the know have said it will cost a substantial amount of cash to put stuff on the Jumbotron, We have to lobby successfully.

^^ This morning on the Canada Soccer facebook page this idea was posted, recieved many postive reviews and "likes". So th CSA is aware.

I have no past knowledge on cost of useage of the videoboards on a scoreboard, but I do not believe it is expensive on the newer (BMO like) boards.

I don't know, all i heard is that it would take a **** ton of cash to get lyrics up there, so unless it was included in the pageantry of the game by the csa, it probably can't happen. You know where I stand, I'm all for it, as this is likely the best (read: only) way to get people to learn lyrics.

O land of blue, unending skies

Mountains strong and sparkling snow

A scent of Freedom in the wind

O'r the emerald fields below

Long may it wave, our boast, our pride

and joined in love together,

the thistle shamrock rose entwine

Maple Leaf forever

Oh Maple Leaf around the world

You speak as you rise high above

Of courage, peace and quiet strength

of the Canada that I love

To thee we brought our hopes, our dreams

For thee we stand together

Our land of peace where proudly flies

The Maple Leaf FOREVER

Long may it waive and grace our own

blue skies and stormy weather

Within my heart Above my home

THE MAPLE LEAF FOREVER

1:30 - give or take. Let's lobby the CSA hard.

The Champions League rules clearly state that the video board is under the control of CONCACAF. Surely there'd be some serious limitations on displaying partisan lyrics during a match.

Do many people even know the tune to this song? I've lived here for over 40 years, and done all my schooling here, and I can't recall ever hearing it, other than a rendition that I couldn't follow by a few at a previous game.

I don't know, all i heard is that it would take a **** ton of cash to get lyrics up there, so unless it was included in the pageantry of the game by the csa, it probably can't happen. You know where I stand, I'm all for it, as this is likely the best (read: only) way to get people to learn lyrics.

It doesn't cost money. If the sponsors are not there then there is time. That's how the SLS video got up there. If the air time is filled, it's a lot of money they are getting.

Don't know who owns the rights to that song, but the CSA couldn't put it up there without permission. Not saying that is a reason not to or antying jsut a thought.

I am going to make myself listen to this 50 times this weekend. I promise to try really really hard to like it.

For a stadium wide go at something, if we get that opportunity, as much as I panned it earlier for being corporately inspired, I think the arrogant worms I Am Canadian song with one small simple modification would be better.

We are freaks. Remember that.

It doesn't cost money. If the sponsors are not there then there is time. That's how the SLS video got up there. If the air time is filled, it's a lot of money they are getting.

Don't know who owns the rights to that song, but the CSA couldn't put it up there without permission. Not saying that is a reason not to or antying jsut a thought.

It's worth looking into who owns the rights and if any legal impediments exist. Also it's worth mentioning that I don't really like "you'll never walk alone", I think it's an mediocre song at best, but when supporters sing it before the game, it gives me chills. Obviously, we are shooting for a similar effect.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was thinking, if we really want to give great effect and show the boys we're there for them, we could see about doing it the way clubs like Celtic do it, where there is a set aside moment for the hardcores to sing before kick off, before the anthems. It would be really tough to do, but I just remember how awesome it was when the entirety of Celtic Park was singing their one main song before the match vs. AC Milan a couple years ago in the Champions League, and how intense it was when the place fell silent before the anthems to then break into a massive supporter's song.

Maybe this isn't the way we should go with it, maybe try singing it right before kick off. Only problem I see with that is everyone in the entire stadium is pumped for the match to start, and usually cheers loudly when kick off happens, we'd want this song to sort of have the lime light, so perhaps we should give the song start a specific time during the match. I was thinking perhaps in the 19' so at 18:01, as it was written in 1867, have some sort of tie-back in that sense.

This is how the team in Argentina I'm following starts matches (the song changes):

http://youtu.be/6ZIZhACQSvE . Popping thousands of balloons is an amazing effect - given that fireworks are a lot harder to get into the stadium these days. Old news papers torn into little pieces, annoying to clean up maybe, but also great effect.

If there are fireworks, this is how Peñarol supporters welcome their team: http://youtu.be/oTTM6NfmMyc .

Archived