Transfer news/rumours for Canadian players

VAddona

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Brethers

Peters is an odd case. They rejected Bournemouth's offer to extend his loan and he hasn't been in a squad since getting back to ipswich. They rejected bournemouth playing him in the FA cup yet Ipswich didn't use him, and there only ever seems to be rejected loan bids. I think Jewell may want to cash in on Jaime, but can't find the right offer. Mind you, Jewell should be chucking him in the squad tomorrow. Ipswich have been dreadful, why not shake things up?

Newcastle would be a great spot for Hoillett, he would garner lots of playing time. Which would put him on the radar of all the major clubs of the world. Newcastle might not be the strongest club anymore, but the still garner some respect and would get him noticed a lot more than Bolton or Stoke, and even the Spurs, not that they aren't a bigger club but he would not see the pitch barring injuries many times over.

Don't think it's been mentioned yet but there seems to be a bit of talk of Liverpool interest in Hoilett.

I think this could be even better for Hoilett then the Newcastle or Tottenham bids. He would likely get more playing time then at Tottenham, and Liverpool has more upswing and a better chance of Europe competition long term then Newcastle.

I think Liverpool would be an excellent move, but I worry that success there would surely grab the attention of the English. At Newcastle I think he could have great success without people calling to cap him to England because as mentioned they are a pretty big club, but not Liverpool big. Still though, I would love to see him there. Who would his competition be? Who plays on the left flank there?

I don't think England will cap him as a naturalized player unless he has an English grandparent I don't know about - Jamaica is a little competition but I am more worried about this random US link that keeps coming up. If he actually is eligible for them we will be in trouble.

Anyway either Newcastle or Liverpool would be a great move I think, he'll do well financially and train with top players week in and out.

I don't think England will cap him as a naturalized player unless he has an English grandparent I don't know about - Jamaica is a little competition but I am more worried about this random US link that keeps coming up. If he actually is eligible for them we will be in trouble.

Anyway either Newcastle or Liverpool would be a great move I think, he'll do well financially and train with top players week in and out.

I remember it was confirmed by the Americans that he isn't eligible for them

I seem to have missed this ... does anyone know more about Nana potentially moving to B2?

http://www.wakingthered.com/2012/1/15/2710017/nana-attakora-set-to-trial-with-fc-union-berlin

The article links to the Union Berlin website which confirms the news. Also states that he will participate in the complete pre-season training camp in Spain so they must have some serious interest in him. Union Berlin is a cool club with a lot of potential to grow into a top team in Germany if they can manage themselves properly. They were the smaller of the two East Berlin clubs but also much loved as the underdog team and a team supported by people against the dictatorship as rivals Dynamo Berlin (now in a lower division) were sponsored by the secret police and regularly won the championship with biased reffing and forced player transfers. The West Berlin club Hertha is rather bland and uninspiring so if Union can make it to the 1st BL they have a good chance to have some success in a big market. They are currently in 7th place and still in the promotion race.

http://www.fc-union-berlin.de/profis/aktuelle-meldungen/detail/Testspieler-Nana-Attakora-trainiert-bei-Union-17570o/

Below is a photo of Nana standing with Union's coach Uwe Neuhaus in front of their stadium. You can see the stadium is mostly terraces. Although recently renovated the club decided to keep with the tradition of having mostly standing places and only put the bare minimum of seating required by the 2nd BL. Thus, 85% of the stadium is terraces.

73780cf7d7284f39a38fd7b171700bad-118.jpeg

The article links to the Union Berlin website which confirms the news. Also states that he will participate in the complete pre-season training camp in Spain so they must have some serious interest in him. Union Berlin is a cool club with a lot of potential to grow into a top team in Germany if they can manage themselves properly. They were the smaller of the two East Berlin clubs but also much loved as the underdog team and a team supported by people against the dictatorship as rivals Dynamo Berlin (now in a lower division) were sponsored by the secret police and regularly won the championship with biased reffing and forced player transfers. The West Berlin club Hertha is rather bland and uninspiring so if Union can make it to the 1st BL they have a good chance to have some success in a big market. They are currently in 7th place and still in the promotion race.

http://www.fc-union-berlin.de/profis/aktuelle-meldungen/detail/Testspieler-Nana-Attakora-trainiert-bei-Union-17570o/

Very interesting, I hope he makes the move that would be a great team and environment for him. What is there centre back situation like?

Very interesting, I hope he makes the move that would be a great team and environment for him. What is there centre back situation like?

They have fairly decent centre backs so he will have some competition. The right side starting CB is pretty much set while the left is rotated between two players. However, the team goals against is pretty poor considering where they are in the table so they may be hoping Nana is an upgrade over someone. Also their defence is not particularly young so they may also be looking at Nana as a young player to replace someone who is leaving at the end of the season. And they certainly need some better injury cover for the starting right CB.

Below is a photo of Nana standing with Union's coach Uwe Neuhaus in front of their stadium. You can see the stadium is mostly terraces. Although recently renovated the club decided to keep with the tradition of having mostly standing places and only put the bare minimum of seating required by the 2nd BL. Thus, 85% of the stadium is terraces.

73780cf7d7284f39a38fd7b171700bad-118.jpeg

While I personally have never been that impressed with Nana, I really hope this works out.

Sometimes what a player really needs is a clean slate. This is awesome.

Sounds like a good move for Nana. He has loads of potential, very athletic but has'nt put it together yet. Hopefully he learns a lot and grows, we have had a lot of success with players blossoming in Germany and the B2 seems like the perfect place for him hopefully he wins some PT and grows into a consistent force.

This would be a great move and yet another player that could be added properly to the depth charts at CB and RB. RB being of course a major issue.

B2 would be a significant place for him to play in an attacking, technical league. I suspect Nana is a more natural RB than is Hainault or Edgar. And certainly moreso than Kluka. Peters is obviously now a non-factor....which is too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Nana Attakora has not signed in B2, but is currently on trial with Hibs in the SPL.

Tweets from john molinaro and confirmation from Nana's agent.

JohnMolinaro John Molinaro

also been told ex-#TFC Nana Attakora is currently at Scottish outfit Hibs, who have long been interested in him & are taking a look at him

JohnMolinaro John Molinaro

should add that it was Attakora's agent who told me about Hibs thing, so it's not some idle rumour.

^ I like that. Seems like it might be a good fit. Hibs has ben good for the MNT before.

Might as well start the Uccello discussion here and not clog up the weekly Canadians Abroad. What would a player of his age and his pedigree be worth in MLS? Got to think as well that he would be an international slot for most teams. TFC fans seem to think that they are short an attacker so maybe that could work out well. It's probably that or Scandinavia, I'd imagine.

Gaucho mentioned this in another thread - don't know how I (we?) missed seeing it (Suppose it's too late this go around with the window probably closed now in Europe.):

ALBION are stepping up their hunt for January signings after Roy Hodgson met with chairman Jeremy Peace before yesterday’s loss to Norwich.

The Baggies head coach, together with sporting and technical director Dan Ashworth, held talks with Peace to discuss the possibility of strengthening before the window closes on January 31.

Hodgson is keen to add reinforcements in the hope of steering Albion to another mid-table finish in the Premier League.

And although he admitted that a striker is not necessarily at the top of his wish-list, the club’s scouts have cast their eyes over a number of forwards.

Bristol City’s Nicky Maynard has been watched for the past few months and Eintracht Frankfurt’s giant Canadian, Rob Friend, has also been looked at.

Whether Albion will be prepared to meet the asking price for Maynard remains to be seen, but 6ft 5in Friend could be a cheaper option.

“I would lie if I didn’t say it would be good for the club if we could bring in several new faces,” said Hodgson.

“I think that would liven everybody up.

“If you can bring in two or three players in various positions at this stage of the season, and let some players who have not featured move on to get regular football then you’re happy to take that chance.”

Archived