Canada Draws United States, Cuba, El Salvador in Olympic Qualifying

Lord Bob

Group A: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, United States

Group B: Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago

Oh my god is Group B ever a nightmare. That's hellish. Did we ever dodge a bullet; I like our chances of finishing second in Group A.

EDIT: Canada's group will play at LP Field in Nashville, Tennessee.

I like it. Another game against the States will be fun, plus two relatively easy matches in El Salvador and Cuba. Plus it means if we come second we'll only have to play Mexico or Honduras instead of the US, which at U-23 level I think is an advantage (mainly b/c teams like Mexico will have great U-23 players overseas who won't leave their clubs, while most of the best American U-23 players are American based so they will only be leaving their clubs for 10 days or so.

If we don't finish second it'll be a failure.. great draw. We have a good shot at qualifying here.

it should be our best opportunity in many years because there is hope now due to squad depth and potential what with the academies and all. And, the draw looks manageable enough to reasonably expect a top two finish in the group. But I cant agree with:"If we don't finish second it'll be a failure".

The odds are still against us. There are only two teams from CONCACAF that go through so we are still an underdog up against Mex and and the US.

Edit: unless you mean second in the group. in which i agree that it might be a failure to finish below that level.

it should be our best opportunity in many years because there is hope now due to squad depth and potential what with the academies and all. And, the draw looks manageable enough to reasonably expect a top two finish in the group. But I cant agree with:"If we don't finish second it'll be a failure".

The odds are still against us. There are only two teams from CONCACAF that go through so we are still an underdog up against Mex and and the US.

Edit: unless you mean second in the group. in which i agree that it might be a failure to finish below that level.

Yes, I meant the group. With the cross over between groups we might get lucky and end up facing Honduras or even Panama to qualify.

The roster called for the last camp in February was as follows:

1- GK- Michal Misiewicz | POL / Polonia Bytom

2- D- Eddy Sidra | Unattached / sans club

3- M- Drew Beckie | USA / University of Denver

4- D- Sean Hart | USA / Schulz Academy

5- D- Curtis Ushedo | USA / University of Alabama-Birmingham

6- D- Taylor Lord | GER / SV 1912 Morlautern e.V.

7- CM- Kyle Bekker | USA / Boston College

8- M- Philippe Davies | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

9- F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

10- M- Michael Pereira | USA / Providence College

11- M- Derek Gaudet | USA / Portland Timbers

12- F- Adrian Peña | CAN / Portugal FC

13- F- Carl Haworth | CAN / FC London

14- F- Evan James | USA / University of North Carolina at Charlotte

15- F- Sherif El-Masri | SIN / Home United FC

16- F- Jarek Whiteman | CAN / Portugal FC

17- F- Igor Pisanjuk | Unattached / sans club

19- M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

22- GK- Adam Janssen | USA / Long Island University

Here's hoping the u23 head coach has heard of a club called FC Edmonton this time around.

Yes the group is good for us but our U23s aren't exactly quality... Hope some guys like DiChiara and a few FCE guys (Saiko?) can reinforce the lineup

I concur. The MLS academies aren't going to figure too much in this squad. I think our quality is still lacking at this age. There are some good players, but we lack depth. Also keep in mind that some of the players people seem to be counting on probably won't be released due to the MLS season (ie. Morgan).

Yes the group is good for us but our U23s aren't exactly quality... Hope some guys like DiChiara and a few FCE guys (Saiko?) can reinforce the lineup

They aren't bad though... I wouldn't go off that squad list from last year, that was more of an experimental team it seems. We have a really large pool to choose from this time around we need to make sure we select the right team.

Morgan, Stinson, Teibert, Attakora, Saiko, Lam, Henry, Davies, Lindsay, Porter, Alderson, Semenets, Sidra, Saler, Rago, Janniere, Gyorio, Surprenant... that's a good professional domestic group to work with. All of them won't make the team and I think that shows how far this age group has come in 4 years, where if you look at our U23 team from 2008 many have fallen off the map or never made the pro level at all.

We have some highly rated NCAA talent: Emery Welshman, Carl Haworth, Babaleye Sodade, Kyle Bekker, Jarrett Hamilton

Add in some European players who may or may not be released: Straith, Di Chiara, Cebara, Edwini-Bonsu, JLL, Stillo, Haber, Aleman, Misciewcz, (That Italian kid owned by Reggina, Kras?), Owusu Ansah, Pisanjuk..

I see no reason to be down on this group, one major difference from last time around is that we have a lot of forwards to choose from. Even if we can't get REB/Haber we'll have some good options.

-----------REB------Haber------------

Teibert---Di Chiara---Saiko----Porter

Morgan--Attakora----Straith---Stinson

---------------Misciewcz-------------

Not bad at all.. besides Mexico and the USA who is gonna be able to field a lineup like us?

I concur. The MLS academies aren't going to figure too much in this squad. I think our quality is still lacking at this age. There are some good players, but we lack depth. Also keep in mind that some of the players people seem to be counting on probably won't be released due to the MLS season (ie. Morgan).

MLS players will be available

Mitchell would not be a bad choice for U23 coach. He did well with the U20's in 2003 and 2005, not so in 2007. He also had a champsionship with the Caps if I'm not mistaken. That would be as good as resumé as we can hope for this 2 months job that appears every 4 years.

As for our group, it looks good but I don't know the strenght of our opponent except for the US. I don't have any expectation for this group of players. I just hope to see some young players using it as a stepping stone for the MNT. Among the 2008 graduates we have Johnson, Hainault, Ricketts, Jakovic and Ledgerwood. Not bad.

Alot of those players you mentioned are also U-20s that at the very least had a cup of coffee with an academy. It's crazy how fast you're seeing the affect of the academies. This sort of thing gets me really excited for the future of Canadian Soccer.

So do people basically assume Fraiser Aird is a lost cause at this point?

gk - street, stillo, misiewicz, latendresse-levesque

df - morgan, henry, attakora, straith, owusu-ansah, lord, lassonde, gage

mds, tiebert, saiko, di chiara, stinson, sements, rosa, bonifacio, porter, gaudet, nakjima faran, de medina,

fws - hoilett, haber, edwini-bonsu, maheu, matheson, pisanjuk,

seeing MOST of these players play i would suggest this as MY starting XI. thoughts?

-----------------haber-----------------

--edwini-bonsu----------hoilett------

-----------------saiko-----------------

di chiara-----------------------tiebert

------------------gage-----------------

morgan-----------------------attakora

------------straith----henry-----------

---------------misciewcz-------------

REB twittered to some of the guys about being excited for this group draw - he included Haber, and Davies and a couple other guys but also (for us all pulling for FCE!) Saiko and Porter.

So I think we can assume they'll be involved.

The team is decent at this level, with some OK pro experience. Semi-finals is sadly prob the best we can bet for....I could see us upsetting USA but know nothing about Mex or the other teams.

I like Hodgkiss' line-up....though my knowledge of this group isn't deep. Nice shout out by Keegan for Boban. Althouh Bosnian won't be the highest league it will defo be a technical league. He might be worth a shot and it'd be nice if he was in contact with CSA....from Bosnia that can be a launching pad to other eastern Euro leagues.

I really doubt that players from Europe, who play for first teams or at least are the nearest back-up for first teams, will be availble for those games. Only because these matches are not syncronized with European international schedule.

Will some of these guys "risk" losing their starting spot ?

I could see us upsetting USA but know nothing about Mex or the other teams.

Wouldn't that be quite the shocker... If they use the guys in their age group their roster is looking mighty strong... They've got a reasonable chunk of their NT under 23.

Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunbury, Bill Hamid, Tim Chandler, Freddy Adu, Brek Shea, Jozy Altidore. Could see a boat load of goals coming from that squad...

Wouldn't that be quite the shocker... If they use the guys in their age group their roster is looking mighty strong... They've got a reasonable chunk of their NT under 23.

Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunbury, Bill Hamid, Tim Chandler, Freddy Adu, Brek Shea, Jozy Altidore. Could see a boat load of goals coming from that squad...

There's no way they are getting Chandler and Altidore for these qualifiers... btw Chandler's situation is puzzling

"Chandler was born in Frankfurt, Germany to an African American father who was born in New York and served in the U.S. military, and a German mother. His father left him and his mother not long after his birth, and he continued to live with his mother in Germany, where he was raised."... so somehow he feels loyalty to the country of his father who abandoned him...

Anyways I think we have a 50/50 shot for Straith, REB and Haber. Haber is involved in basically every match for his club so I doubt he's going to be available, but hey we got Johnson and Hainault last time around so it's possible. Straith is in a position similar to Ledgerwood last go around (he's played more matches and he's younger) so I think he has a good shot at being released unless Cottbus runs into injury problems. Another thing to note with Straith is that JLL is with Cottbus as well and he'll definitely be called as one of 3 keepers and that might help in Cottbus allowing Straith to come. REB.. who knows what his situation will be with EB but obviously it would be great to have him.

yes... the 12th man... oops. sorry guys. i guess i got excited. so many decent players in this group.

not sure i saw enough of di chiara anyway to feel comfortable with him in this starting squad.

-----------------haber-----------------

--edwini-bonsu----------hoilett------

-----------------saiko-----------------

gage----------------------------tiebert

----------------------------------------

morgan-----------------------attakora

------------straith----henry-----------

---------------misciewcz--------------

well... i am assuming if we finish first in the group that we would meet honduras in the semis. this could be the ticket.

because finishing second would put us against mexico and i'm not sure i feel comfortable with a chance over them...

Archived