JDG2 back in picture

I just really hope this doesn't create a big enough commotion for Holland to call him to a camp just to cap him and scuttle all this...
You don't need to worry about that for a while. They won't bring him to EURO 2012 just to cap him and they don't have any other competitive matches until next Sept.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initially that video had a Saturday Night Live feel, expected somebody dressed up as Julian to be answering the question...

Seriously though, we're starving for success to help generate more interest for the future and these guys can definitely help that. I just hope once/if they get on the field their heart's in the right place and the represent the country with pride.

re: discussion of him talking to CSA officials

Is it not possible that he's talking to CSA officials because they need to file paperwork with FIFA, as opposed to getting his passport/citizenship? I seem to remember others who switched national programs after the rule changes had to do that, so they'd probably go through their new association...

I have a sneaking suspicion that Jeff Swartz is behind all of this.

I also feel a bit like I've been called by an old girlfriend (you know, the one who was REALLY good in bed - internationally renowned, even) at 9 PM to say she was feeling bored and starting to consider, maybe, quite potentially leaving her a-hole boyfriend for one last chance at "old times", and just wanted me to be the first to know, because, well, you know...

But, it was her sister telling you this.

Before we rush to rash judgements based off of information collected off the conjecture of a bunch of people who are admittedly not FIFA officials or immigration lawyers, we should see what the CSA, FIFA, and Jono have to say about the matter.

All I've seen in this thread is a bunch of what if scenarios, with nobody being able to provide a definitive answer on Jono's citizenship status. There's plenty of conjecture on the issue about people thinking he gave it up, and whether that would remove his eligibility.

Everyone should just cool it until we have the facts. This thread is full of Chicken Littles the same day that we get some positive news.

Bingo redux ... although it's easy to understand people defaulting to the negative scenerios simply due to history.

Having slept on it and having read everything I can find online that is coming out about this, it would sure be nice to get something official or semi-official. This would end much of the speculation and save my head from exploding (over the possibility, not the speculation). Any chance someone has left 18 voicemails/texts/tweets with Hart/CSA for an official statement?

Funny how this has gone (in a minute and 30 second statement) from non-starter to the perfect storm. Cool too.

Also funny how the ads that pop up on the right side of this thread have suddenly started to be ads for immigration and citizenship counseling (chuckle).

Ah, life as a Voyageur! In less than 24 hours we have 11+ pages on a thread of speculation that two Canadians might actually play for Canada! It really is sad when you think about it, they should be proud and not hesitant to wear the Maple Leaf, especially with JDG2 having a chance to play along side his brother! Sure I would love these two to play for us, if they are in fact fully committed, which I question but I'm also very skeptical that it will actually happen!

^Dude, we've been doing nothing but selling citizenship to the highest bidder for decades now. So for me its easy to have a little sympathy for a Canadian born kid who had to do what he had to do in order to pursue a dream/profession he couldn't in Canada.

Just think of it as his way of saying "Sorry. My bad." Doing his bit, that is, to get Canada to it's first World Cup Finals in nearly 30 years.

^Dude, we've been doing nothing but selling citizenship to the highest bidder for decades now. So for me its easy to have a little sympathy for a Canadian born kid who had to do what he had to do in order to pursue a dream/profession he couldn't in Canada.

Just think of it as his way of saying "Sorry. My bad." Doing his bit, that is, to get Canada to it's first World Cup Finals in nearly 30 years.

Guess so... Cheers

http://www.beyondthepitch.net/podcasts/edition/index.cfm/beyond-the-pitch/2011/11/27/jonathan-de-guzman/

flip to the 8 minute mark.

Jono says if he can get his passport he'll be considering Canada but isn't sure about if he can get it. .

That quote seems to validate my assertion throughout this thread. And that is, that he could play for Canada right now and that the rules of the game comfirm it. But that, in doing so without a Canadian passport, would be impractical, inconvenient and problematic.

That quote seems to validate my assertion throughout this thread. And that is, that he could play for Canada right now and that the rules of the game comfirm it. But that, in doing so without a Canadian passport, would be impractical, inconvenient and problematic.

Yeah I get the impression that it's not as big of a deal, or as huge of a long shot (him becoming eligible or able to play for Canada) as some are making it out to be. As said by others I get the knee jerk reaction to be half glass empty, but coming straight from the 2 people who would know better than anyone (Jono and Julian) they don't seem to make it sound like such a massive obstacle.

To me, this whole JdG2 Saga is something like the LMAO video for "Sexy and I know it". Not a great song by any means, but a catchy little toe tapper (for me at least) – sort of like the thought of JdG2 in a Maple Leaf. The video, however, is at once just plain wrong, a train wreck, morbidly fascinating, entertaining, and hilarious as it moves from one absurdity (atrocity?) to the next. And at the end, you ask yourself…WTF? Just like with JdG2.

To me, this whole JdG2 Saga is something like the LMAO video for "Sexy and I know it". Not a great song by any means, but a catchy little toe tapper (for me at least) – sort of like the thought of JdG2 in a Maple Leaf. The video, however, is at once just plain wrong, a train wreck, morbidly fascinating, entertaining, and hilarious as it moves from one absurdity (atrocity?) to the next. And at the end, you ask yourself…WTF? Just like with JdG2.

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Yeah

Ian Clarke for Red Nation writes:

A return of De Guzman, coupled with Hoilett, could be what it takes for players such as Keven Alemen to no longer have a second thought about who to represent.

Like a lot of people posting here I'm cautiously optimistic about all of this, but at the same time if JDG2 and/or Hoilett do show up I think it'll go a long ways towards stemming the tied of defections. Paul James calls it the "********** effect", the concept that when the original turncoat defected to England, it spanned a dogma wherein if you were a Canadian player of potential world class pedigree "it wasn't a smart career move to play for Canada".

Regardless of if in the end we qualify for WC 2014, or even just the Hex, if we can buck that trend it would be huge. And it would be ironic as hell if the tied was finally turned by a guy who was the one time poster boy for shunning the Red and White.

Why would you officially 'renounce' citizenship? It's not required to obtain citizenship in most countries. You simply end up being a non-resident and have two nationalities (dual citizen). I know many people with two passports.

Yes. thats the part i dont get. As far as i know, it is only in the US whereby to get citizenship requires you to to renounce your previous citizenship. I could get a EU passport no problem at all and a family member has two citizenships (EU and canada) and hence qualifies to obtain two passports.

Cruised through this thread in about 10 minutes.....my goodness.

Very excited. Withdrawn though. I did post the question in one of the CSN blogs "Can he play friendlies" without declaring??

For me, I am not bothered with the passport discussion. It can or can't happen, will or won't.

For me it's a line-up discussion.

Hainault--Jakovic--Edgar--Kluka

------JDG---------Hutch-----

Junior-------JDG2-----------Simpson

---------Occean-----------------

This seems to be pretty much the norm for shape etc, and it makes sense.

I know Edgar is ahead of Jako at CB right now, for a plethora of reasons. But, for discussion sake, is Edgar ahead of Hainault at RB? Edgar looked excellent at RB, and is more technical than Hainault. Maybe you swap those two? What about Straith? Is he maybe ahead of Hainault at RB?

The forwards would basically be a "whoever is fit and on form" choice between Occean/Jackson/Ricketts. Keeping in mind Jackson and Ricketts can play the withdrawn and wide roles to a degree as well. Ricketts shows he puts in big effort wide right.

We'd still then have Hume and DeRo off the bench and/or start.

So right there you've got a bench of:

Hume

deRo

Jackson

Ricketts

Straith

Milan/Lars

....and I don't know....Bernier probably, or Morgan or whatever.

The only "problem" with this squad is we dont' have room for youngsters! Ya ya, I know. That's what u23 and u20 are for but....how great was it to see Stinson and Morgan involved, as well as the JdC call-up?

Earlier in the thread Free Kick mentioned DeRo wouldn't be a sub. Then you cut him. He's aged, he's done a good job for Canada, and if he has that attitude he isn't welcome. He isn't irreplaceable with someone in another role or even the same role.

Someone else put DeRo as the CF in this similar line-up I posted - sorry, but in no one's mind is DeRo a centreforward. Simpson is more of a CF than DeRo. DeRo is purely a support attacker or 2nd striker or AM mid or #10 or whatever you wanna call him.

Another line-up question - is Klukowski really ahead of De Jong? Tough to say. Bundesliga is probably a better league and he is starting. Though I think Augsburg is bottom of the table....? IDK, because De Jong (like Jakovic) hasn't played for CMNT for a while...

Anyway....great interviews. I would be much more cynical about it if it was just JDG saying "maybe yeah..." but you've got both brother's in short time talking about it. Not to mention, there is no reason for either to lie about it, and even more there is no reason for JDG2 to even accept the interview request of a Canadian station. There just isn't.

Someone thought it might open door for a JDG2 DP contract with MLS - he's 24. I sure hope not! He'd be snapped up in Europe if Villareal couldn't pay him. He'd probably fit in at Newcastle! :)

Yes. thats the part i dont get. As far as i know, it is only in the US whereby to get citizenship requires you to to renounce your previous citizenship. I could get a EU passport no problem at all and a family member has two citizenships (EU and canada) and hence qualifies to obtain two passports.
see the Dutch citizenship link I posted couple of pages ago. If he hadn't lived there for 5 years before the age of 18, he definitely would have had to give up Can citizenship. Not all EU countries require this. Germany is another one that does.

Archived