• Last Reply
------------------Borjan----------------------

Hainault----McKenna-----Edgar------Kluka

--------------------JDG-Hutch----------------------

Hoilett-----------------------------Simpson

--------------JDG2--------------------------

--------------------Occean-------------------

Dero and Jackson off the bench.

It's almost as if we haven't learned a single thing about reacting to second hand vague statements of commitment to Canada...

Second hand vague statement is a friend tweeting about how JDG2 watched a Canada game and mentioned that he might come back. I would say his brother stating that the CSA is looking into how he gets his passport back is a different kettle of fish.

But yeah.... I am excited by the thought, but will wait until I see him on the field against Honduras. Hey JDG! Come play for us! Bring Junior too.

Time to rain on everyone's parade

If he renounced his citizenship he can't play for Canada and getting his citizenship back requires him to move back. I am very reluctant to believe strings can be pulled, but I would glady be wrong in this case.

But here is the question. Do you need a passport to play for a country underr FIFA rules? I cant imagine Marc Bircham having had a passport when he played for Canada. He had never set foot in the country before playing for Canada. In fact, his first game in a canada shirt was in Northern ireland. He joked that all that he knew about canada, was that he had once seen canada on a globe so i doubt he would have passed a citizenship test.

PS: his link to canada was that i believe that one of his grandmother's was born in Canada.

But here is the question. Do you need a passport to play for a country underr FIFA rules? I cant imagine Marc Bircham having had a passport when he played for Canada. He had never set foot in the country before playing for Canada. In fact, his first game in a canada shirt was in Northern ireland. He joked that all that he knew about canada, was that he had once seen canada on a globe.

Absolutely. FIFA rule explicitly states that you need a valid passport to play for the country. Marc Bircham got his Canadian passport through his grandfather side.

Like I said on the other thread, I'm not doubting his desire to play for Canada. Especially his skills and reputation alone could have a lot of leverage in bringing Junior Hoilett as well. However unless CSA has a red carpet treatment with CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) and an inside relationship with decision makers at the top, this may be a moot point.

Again, I hope I'm wrong though.

But here is the question. Do you need a passport to play for a country underr FIFA rules? I cant imagine Marc Bircham having had a passport when he played for Canada. He had never set foot in the country before playing for Canada. In fact, his first game in a canada shirt was in Northern ireland. He joked that all that he knew about canada, was that he had once seen canada on a globe so i doubt he would have passed a citizenship test.

PS: his link to canada was that i believe that one of his grandmother's was born in Canada.

Yes you need a passport to play for a nation. Everyone is focused on article 16 which states which nations you can play for, but that is dependent on article 15 which states you need that nationality first then you can play for other nations.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/01/09/75/14/fifa_statutes_072008_en.pdf

(Page 62)

I know of the story of Bircham, but not sure how he would have obtained a Canadian passport but it is passed down by ancestry. This is just speculation but Bircham’s father or mother could have applied for their Canadian passport and that enable Marc to obtain his Canadian passport as well.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.....

Canada with JDG2 and Junior would challenge USA and Mexico IMO. They would also instantly become qualification favourites.

Imagine being able to field an XI that includes:

Hutchinson (PSV)

De Guzman (Villareal)

Jackson (Norwich)

Hoilett (Blackburn)

McKenna (FC Kohn)

Simpson (Manisaspor)

De Rosario (DC United)

De Jong (FC Augsburg)

QUALITY

Here is the section from the CIC website - note that JDG2 has to have FORMALLY renounced his citizenship. DO the Dutch require this? My understanding is that they do not ask for proof, just that you say that they do so (wink wink nudge nudge). If he DID do it, then he is no more Canadian than Lionel Messi.

Renouncing citizenship

In some situations, you might decide that you want to renounce (give up) your Canadian citizenship. For example, if you are or want to become a citizen of a country that does not allow dual citizenship, you may have to renounce your Canadian citizenship.

For a renunciation of Canadian citizenship to be recognized in Canada, you must make a formal application to renounce your citizenship.

If you renounce your Canadian citizenship, you will lose all the rights and privileges of Canadian citizenship. For example:

You will lose the right to travel under a Canadian passport.

You will lose the right to vote.

If you want to return to Canada as a permanent resident, you will have to go through the immigration process.

Absolutely. FIFA rule explicitly states that you need a valid passport to play for the country.

Where does it state that? Here are two FIFA rule documents:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/01/06/30/78/statusinhalt_en_122007.pdf (PDF)

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/01/09/75/14/fifa_statutes_072008_en.pdf (PDF)

Renunciation of citizenship is a big step, and one he didn't have to take (since he lived in The Netherlands for 5 years under the age of 18/see below). If he did, he had a **** immigration lawyer.

Exemptions to the requirement to renounce foreign citizenship

An applicant for naturalisation does not have to give up his current nationality in the following cases:[20]

• where the person has lived in the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao, or Sint Maarten for an uninterrupted period of 5 years or longer before age 18.

--

Dual citizenship

Although Dutch law restricts dual citizenship, it is possible for Dutch subjects to legally hold dual citizenship in a number of circumstances, including:

• persons who become naturalised Dutch subjects, who obtain an exemption from the requirement to renounce their foreign citizenship

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_nationa..._naturalisation

If he just let his Canadian passport expire, he should just be able to reapply for it. I don't see why his situation should be complicated, but, since "the CSA are looking in it," I presume that it is.

It doesn't say passport, it says nationality. But you cannot get a passport without nationality. So that is the key question.

Either way, it seems that the Vs board runs a cottage industry of immigration and FIFA rules experts...

Bingo. But then again, idle speculation is a regular thing around these parts (as well as informed opinions).

It would not surprise me if there are immigration rules and FIFA rules that both prohibit JDG2 from playing for Canada and somehow they are gotten around ... where there is a will there's a way. However, it would also not surprise me if all this goes amounts to nothing.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affe..._072008_en.pdf

(Page 62)

Any person holding a permanent nationality that is not dependent on residence in a certain country is eligible to play for the representative teams of the Association of that country.

A Player who, under the terms of art. 15, is eligible to represent more than one Association on account of his nationality, may play in an international match for one of these Associations only if, in addition to having the relevant nationality, he fulfils at least one of the following conditions:

THen it lists all the ways you can represent another nation. It is clear you must have the nationality to represent (X) nation

Archived