Toronto FC Roster Dance 2012

MM2

San Jose 3 - TFC 0

Let's be realistic. TFC aren't much improved from last year. Hard luck about Frings, but Winter hasn't done enough to fix this team.

The defence hasn't been fixed.

They haven't improved their depth , contrary to what everyone says. We added Silva, who has played well, but is a NCAA rookie. Lambe hasn't done much, Maund has been awful on defence, Aceval isn't the stud we need.

Ty Harden and Terry Dunfield, two starters in today's match, aren't good enough for MLS. What other teams would they possibly start for? The caps let Dunfield go for nothing.

The big problem with TFC is after about 8-9 players on the roster, the skill level drops off well below the MLS level of play. Perhaps a by product of 3 DP salaries (especially when De Guzman doesn't play like one)

I don't see us in the playoffs this year.

I also am starting to see the CCL as a white elephant that has a negative effect on the domestic season.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
San Jose 3 - TFC 0

Let's be realistic. TFC aren't much improved from last year. Hard luck about Frings, but Winter hasn't done enough to fix this team.

They haven't improved their depth , contrary to what everyone says. We added Silva, who has played well, but is a NCAA rookie. Lambe hasn't done much, Maund has been awful on defence, Aceval isn't the stud we need.

Ty Harden and Terry Dunfield, two starters in today's match, aren't good enough for MLS. What other teams would they possibly start for? The caps let Dunfield go for nothing.

The big problem with TFC is after about 8-9 players on the roster, the skill level drops off well below the MLS level of play. Perhaps a by product of 3 DP salaries (especially when De Guzman doesn't play like one)

I also am starting to see the CCL as a white elephant that has a negative effect on the domestic season.

Criticizing De Guzman? How about that other DP Koevermans... what a disappointment he's been this season, useless.

San Jose 3 - TFC 0

The team is pretty good everywhere minus the three CBs. If TFC fix that little problem, the team will be a playoff contender. I do agree that Dunfield is not a top quality MLS player. He has virtually no confidence with the ball what so ever. I have never seen a player like him pass the ball as quickly to a teammate when there is no pressure on them.

JDG deserves his schtick with everyone else, he wasn't good. Koevermans looks like he showed up out of shape this year, which is vastly unappreciated and better be fixed soon.

Overall, I agree there appear to be few positives for TFC and it still looks like there is a lot of work to do.

Agreed - if TFC could ever sort out its back 4 they'd be infinitely improved. If for no other reason there wouldn't be so much stress on the MF/FW to outscore the opposition.

But where are those defenders going to come from?.....are Whitecaps scouts really that much better than TFC's? (ie, Signing Pyo, Rochat, Bonjour, Mitchell and even the Harvey trade - not to mention the signing/drafting of Demerit and Boxall. Given JDem was poor last year when healthy though....). errrrr, not trolling I promise!

• 3 weeks later...
Noticed that Stefan Vukovic played with the Montreal Impact U21 team in an exibition game against Rochester.

Molinaro wrote something on this:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/04/10/mls_toronto_fc_stefan_vukovic/

Here are some news and notes from Tuesday’s Toronto FC media availability at BMO Field prior to the team’s training session.

I had a one-on-one conversation with TFC academy director Thomas Rongen in his office and he confirmed to me that the club has released academy forward Stefan Vukovic.

Vukovic’s status with the Reds became a point of interest when news came out that he played for the Montreal Impact’s under-21 team last week. Most fans and media members thought he was still with TFC.

But the Reds quietly released Vukovic after the senior team returned from pre-season training camp in Orlando. Vukovic and several other academy kids went down to Florida

So, why did TFC cut a player they invited to pre-season training camp?

Rongen told me that the club felt Vukovic was not ready to make the jump to the senior team, and that they have two younger academy forwards that they want to give more playing time to. Keeping Vukovic around would have stood in the way of the development of those players, hence the decision to let him go.

“Stef was a talented player (but) he had some shortcomings,” Rongen said.

Can't really argue with the judgement when I haven't seen him play but I remember reading even before training camp that Winter didn't rate him last season. Hopefully Vukovic puts that quote from Rongen on his bedroom door and becomes a better player as a result.

It's early days still but from what I saw of Hamilton at the U17 qualifiers, read of him last season and now his involvement in TFC's preseason at 15 years old... its clear people are touting this kid for a future. Can't wait to see him for the U17s again next year...

So who is the other forward Rongen is referring to? Omari Morris?

What a shame, such an awesome story at the end of the 2010 season and then that happens... He sure could have helped our youth teams too. 2 seasons in a row at such a young age, best of luck to him I can't see TFC keeping him on..

San Jose 3 - TFC 0

I don't toot my horn very often, but I'm enjoying this one.

What a hopeless performance... when we went down 1-0 did anyone really think we'd score?

Our whole "attacking" philosophy is built around 4 outside players whipping hopeless balls into the box... not only because they're inaccurate but they're also aimed at one striker with limited mobility who is tightly marked at all times.

I think Henry has solidified a starting spot, love what he brings... passion, heart.

What a hopeless performance... when we went down 1-0 did anyone really think we'd score?

Our whole "attacking" philosophy is built around 4 outside players whipping hopeless balls into the box... not only because they're inaccurate but they're also aimed at one striker with limited mobility who is tightly marked at all times.

I think Henry has solidified a starting spot, love what he brings... passion, heart.

I thought TFC did well in the second half. They dominted the whole half and had at least 4 clear goalscoring chances. Very unlucky.

But the quality of the crossing was overall very poor.

• 4 weeks later...

What is with Aron Winter’s tendency to play players out of position? We all know why they put Fringe back, but how about the rest of the back-line?

Last week he played Henry in the Rightback position, and he perpetually plays Aceval as Centreback (Aceval spent the majority of his career in the Chilean league as a leftback).

I can understand the switcheroo if Aceval was more effective in his position than Cann… or if Henry was more effective as a rightback than a CB. But neither is the case. For me, the ideal backline would be:

Eckersley – Henry – Cann – Morgan/Aceval

This gives Winter’s the choice of playing a more attacking style with Morgan’s speed, or a more defence style with Aceval. Either way, Aceval doesn’t seem to be adapting well to the CB position, and competition is good for Morgan.

With the constant shuffling, moving Fringe in/out and other changes, the backline will never have an opportunity to gel. They have to learn to play without Fringe!

Montreal’s backline is starting to come together thanks to familiarity between the back four.

If I had to pick one reason why I’m starting to get disillusioned with Winter’s, it’s the lack of consistency in the back-line.

What is with Aron Winter’s tendency to play players out of position? We all know why they put Fringe back, but how about the rest of the back-line?

Last week he played Henry in the Right back position, and he perpetually plays Aceval as Centreback (Aceval spent the majority of his career in the Chilean league as a leftback).

I can understand the switcheroo if Aceval was more effective in his position than Cann… or if Henry was more effective as a rightback than a CB. But neither is the case. For me, the ideal backline would be:

Eckersley – Henry – Cann – Morgan/Aceval

This gives Winter’s the choice of playing a more attacking style with Morgan’s speed, or a more defence style with Aceval. Either way, Aceval doesn’t seem to be adapting well to the CB position, and competition is good for Morgan.

With the constant shuffling, moving Fringe in/out and other changes, the backline will never have an opportunity to gel. They have to learn to play without Fringe!

Montreal’s backline is starting to come together thanks to familiarity between the back four.

If I had to pick one reason why I’m starting to get disillusioned with Winter’s, it’s the lack of consistency in the back-line.

I don't know that there has been a lot of shuffling. Are you sure that you might not be mixing Aceval with Caciedo (who was released in preseason)? I always thought that Aceval was the CB because he certainly doesn't have the pace that i would associate with a Left back. As far as i know, it was Hall who was picked up as cover for Morgan at LB. I agree that Henry is more suited to CB rather than right back since his ball handling could be better for that role. The shuffling around of players at centre back has pretty much everything to do with injuries and players retuning from injury layoffs. as well as, lets not forget, poor play.

You right about Frings. But other than that, i dont really see a lot of players out of position. I am not defending Winter here. There certainly are question marks about Winter and the current record. But the issue of player out of position is not one that I would come up with.

I don't know that there has been a lot of shuffling. Are you sure that you might not be mixing Aceval with Caciedo (who was released in preseason)? I always thought that Aceval was the CB because he certainly doesn't have the pace that i would associate with a Left back. As far as i know, it was Hall who was picked up as cover for Morgan at LB. I agree that Henry is more suited to CB rather than right back since his ball handling could be better for that role. The shuffling around of players at centre back has pretty much everything to do with injuries and players retuning from injury layoffs. as well as, lets not forget, poor play.

You right about Frings. But other than that, i dont really see a lot of players out of position. I am not defending Winter here. There certainly are question marks about Winter and the current record. But the issue of player out of position is not one that I would come up with.

No, I don't think I'm mistaken. IMScouting has him as a Leftback primarily. However, most English language roster bio's have Aceval as a Centerback, whereas most spanish language bios have him as a Leftback. TransferMarkt actually changed his position title from Leftback to Centreback shortly after the start of the MLS season.

http://www.imscouting.com/players/miguel-aceval/

Look him up on Youtube, and you'll find that his tackles are far more effective as a left-back. Its aggressive and clean, compared to his awkward tackles (and decision making) with TFC.

I understand that in Ajax's 4-3-3 system, the expectation is that all players should have the versitibility to switch. But half of Ajax line-up are full of players that were developed under this system from a young age. With TFC, this cant happen, none of the players in the current line-up were developed this way!

Cann has been back for a few matches now. They really should start him every match with Henry IMO. Fringe shouldnt have to sit back with Cann back. Winter's mentioned that he doesnt want to "rush" Henry into the starting line-up, because a bad play could hurt his confidence. But how is playing him out of position the answer?

A young player like Henry needs consistency and I think playing with Cann would only help in his development. Moving him between Centreback and rightback, forcing him to play with different players and at different positions is a poor coaching decision.

Archived