Toronto FC Roster Dance 2012

MM2

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for keeping such good records MM2.

Think Vukovic will sign? Think Makubuya will get more playing time?

Re: Lindsay - A bit surprised he'd count as a roster spot considering his long-term injury issues (no "injured reserve" list like in NFL? That'd surprise me if MLS doesn't have such a list considering the salary cap rules....)

What positions of the 2 remaining positions that can effect the salary cap do you believe are most necessary?

TFC should be at or near playoffs in the east this year.

I would to see them spend money on some depth at Midfield.

Teams can't place players on the season ending injury list until the roster is full, so technically TFC has at least five spots open.

I would like to see Vukovic signed.

Not sure if Michael Green is still in camp, he could take up one spot, the two American trialist from Mexico could be added. One or two Academy signings would make sense. Jordan Hamilton is probably the best prospect, though he is only 15 but could be a surprise signing.

Vukovic played 30 minutes at the DIsney tournament, it seems unlikely he will be signed. Keith M didn't do much to inspire confidence or get more minutes in pre season.

I feel TFC has a lack of depth at Forward, especially if Danny K picks up an injury or Lambe doesn't perform better than he did at disney. I think they're just fine at midfield.

Once everyone are healthy I would waive 2 CB's and use roster and cap space to sign 1-2 forwards.

Vukovic played 30 minutes at the DIsney tournament, it seems unlikely he will be signed. Keith M didn't do much to inspire confidence or get more minutes in pre season.

I feel TFC has a lack of depth at Forward, especially if Danny K picks up an injury .

Yup. I think that that is an achille heel for the team. There is an opportunity right there at forward for someone to grab. Thus far Kouvermans has an amazing strike rate.

^^ From a distance it looks like there are enough question marks over Caicedo for that not to be on the agenda right now. Getting rid of Bouchiba would have freed up some space so hopefully they are OK that way now.

On the forward thing I think the key with Vukovic is whether they think he will be a really good player in two or three years time. If they do getting him on pro terms ASAP is a must regardless of whether he can be expected to do much this year in first team terms. If they see major flaws in his game that make the jump from the CSL to MLS level unlikely then it doesn't really matter how many goals he scores for the Academy.

Didn't see any of the games in Florida. Did Moises Orosco look like an option up front? When I google searched his name a couple of weeks back there were mentions of him being botha centre forward and an attacking central midfielder. I think Huezo and Orosco were the options they were looking at to provide more depth on the left and up front.

Salary cap room if need be, ie putting Adrian Cann's current 100k plus salary to good use if he isn't needed.

By my estimates we're probably about 150-200K below the cap and that isn't taking into account allocation money.

Unconfirmed rumours that Logan Emory has signed. This rumour posted by a fella on a different message board named "Islander." Take it for what you will. This writer also states he was never on trial but that TFC were in the process of signing him immediately based off the Orlando City v. Philadelphia match where they spotted him. No, I don't believe he was signed based on that.

Nothing on MLS, or TFC's site. Nothing through google to confirm this.

He did alright v. Whitecaps to be fair.

As long as he wasn't given a guaranteed deal when he signed, it would be easy enough to put him on waivers based on performance. Good news for Logan Emory I suspect. Questions need to be asked about why he was signed in the first place and who scouted him because sorting out the defence was priority number one during the offseason.

Edit: Forgot to mention when I wrote that that MLS teams are able to buy out one guaranteed contract per offseason, so there was still a way to get rid of him even if he was on a guaranteed deal for the first season (his agent wouldn't be doing his job very well if he wasn't).

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/03/reds-and-caicedo-part-ways

Toronto FC announced on Friday that the club has terminated the contract for defender Geovanny Caicedo by mutual consent.

"We are certainly disappointed with this outcome," said Toronto FC Head Coach and Technical Director Aron Winter. "During the preseason Geovanny expressed difficulty adjusting to the style of Major League Soccer. This reason combined with being away from his family, we were willing to accept the contract termination. We felt it was in the best interest of Geovanny. We wish him the best in his future endeavours."

I suspect that is what is going to happen as well. Morgan and Eckersley are a year older and Aceval hopefully is an upgrade on Iro so there should be some improvement but Caiceido was probably the key to moving Frings up into midfield. The only positive is that it sounds like they probably were probably able to free up the cap space again.

Seems to be a left sided centre back judging by this youtube clip that was posted elsewhere:

Suspect that may be bad news for Kevin Huezo given Aceval can also play left back. Also worth noting this story in the Scottish Sun:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4190637/Toronto-eye-Rory.html

Paul Mariner was scouting a New Zealander called Rory Fallon who plays for Aberdeen in order to replace Caicedo. That suggests they are looking at the summer window now as the time to finally sort out the back four so Adrian Cann probably still has a limited window of opportunity to get fit and show them that he is the answer.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4190637/Toronto-eye-Rory.html

Fair enough, it happens to the best of us. I have never seen Fallon play but Fallon's career history makes me expect little from him, though he may be more of a physical target man which could be useful - a la Danny Dichio (though that may be a bit harsh on Dichio, as he played his entire career at equal or higher levels than Fallon has ever played at).

• 2 weeks later...
I posted on this site a little while ago that I thought TFC would get rid of Marosevic. He just makes way too much money for a bit part player. That's exactly what he is. Yourass is also no surpirse. Not only did he take up an Intl spot, he made $80,000 a year. I'm relieved that Iro is gone as well. All that needs to happen now is for Harden to be shown the door in order for all that was crap about TFC from years 1-5 to be a distant memory. After Ecks comes back, and assuming TFC sign the two long rumoured South American CB's, they will only need to sign a good Forward as cover/depth for Danny K in order to be ready for the season. Winter/Mariner have done well fixing the obvious problems this off season. The only move I don't agree with is signing Jeremy Hall. He makes somewhere in the region of $120,000-$130,000 and was absolute crap at FCD.

So far on the Ty Harden watch this year he scores an own goal against L.A and gets absolutely skinned in Seattle to give up goal #1 in a 3-1 loss.

I don't understand why Ty Harden plays for TFC. I do not understand why Ty Harden is still on the roster of TFC. Ty Harden is not a good defender, he is not a "good value", Ty Harden sucks at soccer. The day Ty Harden finally gets the boot from TFC, I'll finally be able get over the stupidity of the first 5 years of TFC's existance.

So far on the Ty Harden watch this year he scores an own goal against L.A and gets absolutely skinned in Seattle to give up goal #1 in a 3-1 loss.

I don't understand why Ty Harden plays for TFC. I do not understand why Ty Harden is still on the roster of TFC. Ty Harden is not a good defender, he is not a "good value", Ty Harden sucks at soccer. The day Ty Harden finally gets the boot from TFC, I'll finally be able get over the stupidity of the first 5 years of TFC's existance.

+1. Winter must be aware of this as TFC brought Caicedo but unfortunately he didn't fit in the team. This also may be a chance for Doneil Henry to get more PT When the Olympic Qualification tournament is over.

Archived